[23 October 2011]
We Need To Talk About Dan
Genre – The hunt for our missing team mate last seen in the Hard Rock Cafe in Rome
The Sith Element
Genre – Star Wars 3.5 starring Gary Oldman as the new Vader
The Pith Element
Genre – Harrowing drama where middleclass men talk science
The Leon, The Witch & The Wardrobe
Genre – Natalie Portman goes to assassinate the White Queen
Genre – An action thriller starring Liam Neeson as a butcher who loses his prize winning pig to a rival and then embarks on a mission of revenge to get his pig back
The Supreme Macaroni Cleaners
Genre – Spaghetti western
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What are the prisoners building in The Bridge On The River Kwai?
2. What nationality is Christian Slater?
3. Seabiscuit focuses on which type of racing past-time? Horses? Dogs? Cars?
4. The wicked witch in The Wizard Of Oz (the green one, not the one under the house) takes her name from which compass direction?
5. Charlie Chaplin parodied which foreign leader in The Great Dictator?
6. 1985’s Clue is based on which board game?
7. What was the title of the Bryan Adams song composed for Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves? [bonus point for naming the film’s composer]
(EVERYTHING I DO) I DO IT FOR YOU [Michael Kamen]
8. Maximus Decimus Meridius is the lead character in which film?
9. Which actress played Sugar Kane in Some Like It Hot?
10. What type of animal is Mr. Jingles in The Green Mile?
11. Who played the titles roles in When Harry Met Sally? (one point per correct answer)
BILLY CRYSTAL / MEG RYAN
12. What is the name of Danny Zucko’s gang in Grease?
ROUND II: Filming [Luc Besson Special]
1. Le Grand Bleu was the original title for which Besson release?
THE BIG BLUE
2. Who played the lead role in The Fifth Element?
3. Which actor appeared in The Last Battle, Subway, The Big Blue, Nikita and Leon?
4. The Messenger is about the life of which historical figure?
JOAN OF ARC
5. How many sequels to Arthur And The Invisibles have been made?
6. At the start of Angel-A, Andre is given twenty four hours to obtain what sum of money?
TWENTY THOUSAND EURO
7. Excluding The Lady, how many feature films has Besson directed?
8. What aquatic competition is the main focus of The Big Blue?
DEEP SEA DIVING
9. What was the title of Besson’s most recent live-action release?
THE EXTRAORDINARY ADVENTURES OF ADELE BLANC-SEC
10. In which Besson film does Christopher Lambert form a band in the Paris metro?
11. From 1981 to 2010, Luc Besson has acted as producer on how many films? 26? 53? 98?
12. Throughout The Last Battle only one word is spoken. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Robert De Niro has directed two films, what are their titles? (one point per correct answer)
A BRONX TALE / THE GOOD SHEPHERD
2. What is the last thing Leonard Shelby can remember in Memento?
HIS WIFE DYING
3. The following is the poster tagline from which film? “What do you get when you cross a hopelessly straight starving actor with a dynamite red sequined dress?”
4. Which two actors played Dracula and Van Helsing respectively in the 1979 release, Dracula? (one point per correct answer)
FRANK LANGELLA / LAURENCE OLIVIER
5. 1987’s Innerspace was a remake of which 1966 film?
6. In Reservoir Dogs, Mr. White reveals his first name to Mr. Orange. What is it?
7. What does MGM stand for?
METRO GOLDWYN MAYER
8. Name the four Marx brothers. (one point per correct answer)
GROUCHO / CHICO / HARPO / ZEPPO
9. Which Sean Connery film is Mel Gibson’s character watching at the start of What Women Want?
THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER
10. How many children does Caractacus Potts have in Chitty Chitty Bang Bang? [bonus points for naming them]
TWO [Jeremy / Jemima]
11. It Happened One Night, One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest and The Silence Of The Lambs are the only films to win the top five Oscars. What are they? (one point per correct answer)
BEST ACTOR / ACTRESS / DIRECTOR / SCREENPLAY / PICTURE
12. Excluding Veronica Corningstone, what are the names of Ron Burgundy’s news team in Anchorman? (one point per correct answer)
CHAMP KIND / BRIAN FANTANA / BRICK TAMLAND
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Who plays Dustin Hoffman’s wife in Kramer Vs Kramer? Meryl Streep? Bette Middler? Diane Keaton?
2. What is the name of the serial killer in Red Dragon? The Manhunter? The Banshee? The Tooth Fairy? [bonus point for naming the actor who played him]
THE TOOTH FAIRY [Ralph Fiennes]
3. Which actor effectively replaced Belushi in Blues Brothers 2000? John Goodman? Steve Guttenberg? Eddie Murphy?
4. What was the name given to the creature from the black lagoon, in the film of the same name? Wakulla? The Webbed Beast? Gill-man?
5. What is the name of the diner that Mia Wallace and Vincent Vega visit in Pulp Fiction? Jack Rabbit Slims? Peggy Sue’s? Daddy-O’s?
JACK RABBIT SLIMS
6. How many Dirty Harry films were made? Four? Five? Six?
7. What is the name of Lester’s daughter in American Beauty? Carolyn? Angela? Jane?
8. Which Rita Hayworth film are the cons watching in The Shawshank Redemption? Gilda? Lady From Shanghai? Cover Girl?
9. How many years passed between the release of Alien and Aliens? Seven? Eight? Nine?
SEVEN (1979 / 1986)
10. What is the name of the bartender in The Shining? Floyd? Roy? Lloyd?
11. How many robot versions of Bill and Ted (in total, not how many pairs) feature in Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey? Two? Four? Six?
FOUR (Good Bill, Good Ted, Evil Bill, Evil Ted)
12. Jean Reno played Mufasa in the French language version of The Lion King. True or False?