[11 September 2011]
Morris Dancer In The Dark
Genre – The tragic tale of a morris dancer who’s losing their sight and keeps hitting people over the head with his big stick
Pan People’s Labyrinth
Genre – A harrowing story of becoming lost backstage on Spanish Top Of The Pops
As Hell Boy!
Genre – Following the horror of Norwich City’s fight against the giants of the premiership
Del Boytoro In.. The Pan Pipes Labyrinth
Genre – Del Boytoro and Roney Perlman try to flog CDs of pan pipe mood music outside a labyrinth
Bridget Jones’ Diary Of The Dead
Genre – She’s dying for a boyfriend..
Genre – A science experiment goes wrong when a busty bright red demon materialises in the middle of the Wonderbra factory
Del Toro! Toro! Toro!
Genre – Tom Cruise plays the entire Japanese navy vs supernatural beasts at Pearl Harbour
Genre – An all-singing, all-dancing, WW2 Drama
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the resort that Drs Alan Grant and Ellie Sattler are verifying in Jurassic Park?
2. The Bridge On The River Kwai is set during which war?
WORLD WAR II
3. Ray is based on the life of which musician?
4. What was the full title of Harry Enfield’s Kevin & Perry movie?
KEVIN & PERRY GO LARGE
5. From Hell depicts the actions of which serial killer?
JACK THE RIPPER
6. What is the name of the pumpkin king in The Nightmare Before Christmas?
7. What was the title of the sequel to Conan The Barbarian?
CONAN THE DESTROYER
8. Who played Shaft in the 1971 original and 2000 remake? (one point per correct answer)
RICHARD ROUNDTREE / SAMUEL L JACKSON
9. What did M. Night Shyamalan direct in between Signs and em>Lady In The Water?
10. In what year was Big released?
11. Who wrote and directed Hellraiser? [bonus point for naming the villain played by Doug Bradley]
CLIVE BARKER [Pinhead]
12. Who provided the uncredited voice for Jessica Rabbit in Who Framed Roger Rabbit?
ROUND II: Filming [Guillermo Del Toro Special]
1. In Blade II, the lead character is half-human, half what? [bonus point for naming the director of the original]
VAMPIRE [Stephen Norrington]
2. Who plays Hellboy?
3. Which Del Toro release was nominated for the Best Foreign Language Film Oscar?
4. What was the title of Del Toro’s first big budget American release?
5. Which two Del Toro films are set during the Spanish Civil War? (one point per correct answer)
THE DEVIL’S BACKBONE / PAN’S LABYRINTH
6. What object sits in the centre of the orphanage’s courtyard in The Devil’s Backbone?
7. In Hellboy II, The Golden Army is locked away in which country?
8. What is the name of the team of vampires that Blade has to team up with in Blade II?
THE BLOOD PACK
9. What are the genetically engineered bugs in Mimic called? Gomorrah? Lazarus? Judas?
10. What is the Spanish title for Pan’s Labyrnith?
EL LABERINTO DEL FAUNO
11. How does Angel kill Jesus in Cronos?
PLACES HIS BODY IN A CAR AND PUSHES IT OFF A CLIFF
12. Hating the first Hellboy release, David Hyde Pierce demanded his name be taken off the credits and that he be released from his contract to the sequel. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. 1995’s Village Of The Damned was a remake of the original by Wolf Rilla; when was it released?
2. In what three ways does Bogart disguise himself (when first approaching Agnes in the rare book store) in The Big Sleep? (one point per correct answer)
HAT / GLASSES / VOICE
3. While confessing to a hidden figure in The Seventh Seal, Block reveals his strategy for beating death by utilising which two chess pieces? (one point per correct answer)
BISHOP / KNIGHT
4. Who voiced the role of Max in Flight Of The Navigator?
5. Who played the title role in (and wrote the screenplay for) 1991’s Hudson Hawk?
6. Which of the following did not star in 1981’s Clash Of The Titans? Burgess Meredith? Honor Blackman? Maggie Smith?
7. What is the title of Ralph Fiennes directorial debut?
8. What film did Mel Gibson feature in after Mad Max 2?
9. What are the names of the three lead members of Spinal Tap? (one point per correct answer)
DAVID ST HUBBINS / NIGEL TUFNEL / DEREK SMALLS
10. What was the last line in Brian De Palma’s The Untouchables, as spoken by Elliot Ness?
I THINK I’LL HAVE A DRINK
11. What was Terry Gilliam’s fourth film as director?
12. Schindler’s List features five languages, name them. (one point per correct answer)
ENGLISH / HEBREW / GERMAN / FRENCH / POLISH
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. How many dogs do Det. Mills and his wife own, in Se7en?
2. Which silent film was the first movie to be shown at the white house, leading President Wilson to say it’s “like writing history with lightning”? Intolerance? The Birth Of A Nation? Brute Force?
THE BIRTH OF A NATION
3. What type of aircraft was the Memphis Belle, in the film of the same name? B-12? B-17? B-52?
4. What is the nickname given to the new First Sergeant, (Robert E. Lee played by Scott Glenn) in Buffalo Soldiers? Boss? Head? Top?
5. Who played Athos in 1973’s The Three Musketeers? Oliver Reed? Frank Finlay? Richard Chamberlain?
6. A look-a-like actor of which individual hands The Dude his bowling shoes in The Big Lebowski’s dream sequence?
7. What was Laurence Olivier’s directorial debut? Three Sisters? Henry V? Hamlet?
8. What is Jimmy Tudeski’s gangster name in The Whole Nine Yards? The Tulip? The Rose? The Dahlia? [bonus point for naming the actor who played Jimmy]
THE TULIP [Bruce Willis]
9. Which of the following actors have not portrayed Australian outlaw, Ned Kelly? Geoffrey Rush? Mick Jagger? Heath Ledger?
10. Which of Eisenheim’s tricks does Inspecter Uhl continuously try to figure out, in The Illusionist? Ghost In The Mirror? Orange Tree? Standing Sword?
11. ‘The strangest vengeance ever planned’ was the poster tagline for which Orson Welles film? Touch Of Evil? The Stranger? F For Fake?
TOUCH OF EVIL
12. Whilst filming Fight Club, Brad Pitt would often go tanning and lift weights, while Ed Norton would starve himself and let his body go to ruin. True or False?