[25 September 2011]
Back To The Future Poo
Genre – Environmental disaster movie, where in the future the sewage system cannot cope with the overburdening population’s waste. Doc Brown creates a time machine to send the poo back to the future
Genre – 3D Sequel directed by Max Speilberg
Tinker Tailor Soldier McFly
Genre – Harrowing time-hopping spy thriller with unfortunate incestual undertones.. and glasses
Genre – Doc Brown goes to 80’s India with Marty McFly to reinvent musicals
Back To The Fuchsia
Genre – Alan Titchmarsh gardening tour of Britain in a delorean
Film Quizzes? Where We’re Going, We Don’t Need Film Quizzes
Genre – Marty McFly travels to the future to steal Matthew Stogdon’s brain
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What sport features in Raging Bull?
2. Who directed The Terminator and Terminator 2?
3. Daniel LaRusso, John Kreese and Mr. Miyagi are characters in which film?
THE KARATE KID (or, arguably The Karate Kid Part II.. or Part III)
4. Which actor played the title role (among others) in the Austin Powers series?
5. What is the title of the first Rambo film?
6. What typographical punctuation mark is used in the title for iconic comedy, Airplane?
7. Which two actors play Moses and Ramses II in Cecil B. DeMille’s, The Ten Commandments (1956)? (one point per correct answer)
CHARLTON HESTON / YUL BRYNNER [bonus point for correctly spelling Yul Brynner]
8. Who starred in Leon, Lost In Space and Batman Begins?
9. Which body part was famously hacked off in the original Saw film?
10. Which Meet The Parents cast member also served as one of the film’s producers?
ROBERT DE NIRO
11. Which of the following was Alec Guinness’ earlier release – i.e. which one came first: Oliver Twist, Kind Hearts And Coronets or Star Wars?
12. The theme for the Bourne series (Extreme Ways) was composed by which musician?
ROUND II: Filming [Back To The Future Special]
1. Who plays Marty McFly in all three films?
MICHAEL J. FOX
2. Which instalment of Back To The Future is a western?
3. Which lead actor did not return for the two BTTF sequels?
4. What is the name of Marty’s girlfriend? [bonus points for naming the actresses who portrayed her]
JENNIFER PARKER [Claudia Wells / Elisabeth Shue]
5. Which instalment of Jaws is showing in 2015’s Hill Valley?
6. In BTTF3 Clara and Doc share a passion for the works of which author?
7. What song does Marty play at the Enchantment Under The Sea dance?
JOHNNY B. GOODE
8. How many members of the McFly family are played by Michael J. Fox in BTTF2? [bonus points for names]
THREE [Marty, Marty Jr, Marlene]
9. What is Doc Brown’s profession in the old west?
10. What year does Marty travel back to in the first BTTF?
11. What is on top of Biff Tannen’s cane in BTTF2?
12. To get the right performance, Zemeckis gave Christopher Lloyd the ‘wake up juice’ as it was described in the film (raw egg, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, salt and black pepper). True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What was the first animated film to be nominated for the best motion picture Oscar?
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
2. Which of the following is not a character in Dances With Wolves? Wind In His Hair? Sitting Eagle’s Gaze? Smiles A Lot?
SITTING EAGLE’S GAZE
3. What is Hana’s (Juliette Binoche) nationality in The English Patient?
CANADIAN (French-Canadian also acceptable)
4. What is the name of the serial killer in Dirty Harry?
SCORPIO [five bonus points if team identifies Charles Davis]
5. The following quotes are from which film? “I’m not an agent, I just write books for the CIA” “Engage the silent drive” “Crazy Ivan!”
THE HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER
6. What was the name of the half-hour long precursor to the Evil Dead series?
WITHIN THE WOODS
7. In Bad Boys, when the convenience store owner refuses to believe Lowrey and Burnett are cops, they order a pack of Tropical Fruit Bubbalicious and what other sweet?
8. Who directed The Thin Red Line?
9. Richard Dreyfuss and Ron Howard appeared in which George Lucas film?
10. Through the majority of Young Frankenstein, how does Frederick insist his name is pronounced?
11. What is the name of Charles Kane’s estate in Citizen Kane?
XANADU [bonus point for correct spelling]
12. What is the name of James Dean’s character in Rebel Without A Cause?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What was Captain Pierce’s (Donald Sutherland) nickname in MASH? Duke? Hawkeye? Trapper?
2. What was the number of the Death Star cell block holding Princess Leia in Star Wars? 1138? 421? 12202?
3. What is the nationality of the three lead steel workers, drafted for the Vietnam war, in The Deer Hunter? Romanian-American? Ukrainian-American? Armenian-American?
4. What is the name of the forest in Kurosawa’s Throne Of Blood? Dragon’s Den? Wolf’s Lair? Spider’s Web?
5. ‘The most devastating detective story of this century’ was the poster tagline for which film? All The President’s Men? The Enforcer? Network?
ALL THE PRESIDENT’S MEN
6. How many directors worked on 1925’s Phantom Of The Opera? Four? Five? Six?
FOUR (Rupert Julian, Lon Chaney, Edward Sedgwick, Ernst Laemmle – only Julian was credited)
7. What was the title of the sequel to Rowland V. Lee’s 1934 Count Of Monte Cristo? The Son Of Monte Cristo? The Count’s Revenge? The Count Returns? [bonus point for naming the release year]
THE SON OF MONTE CRISTO 
8. The Right Stuff is based on the book of the same name by which author? Philip Roth? Sinclair Lewis? Tom Wolfe?
9. In what year did Gene Wilder die? 2008? 2010? TBA?
TBA (He’s not dead yet)
10. Which of the following Poitier films does not feature the character Virgil Tibbs? The Organisation? The Slender Thread? In The Heat Of The Night?
THE SLENDER THREAD
11. Who played the title character in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance? James Stewart? John Wayne? Lee Marvin?
12. After causing hassle for the costume department by losing 9kg through training, John Travolta hand-made his iconic white suit from Saturday Night Fever. True or False?