[03 July 2011]
Genre – A hard hitting rockumentary expose about how the music industry has turned Justin Bieber into a girl
Transformers 4: Robots Eating Pies
Genre – Anti-diet propoganda
Genre – Harrowing cross dressing musical documentary
The Rock Island
Genre – Michael Bay, genre-defying epic where Nicolas Cage and Ewan McGregor are members of a cloned heavy metal band stranded on Alcatraz, fighting terrorists armed with nerve gas… hilarity ensues
The Legend Of Shakira
Genre – The story of the humble-breasted second coming
There’s A She-Wolf In Neo-Tokyo
Genre – Post apocalyptic musical starring Shakira
The Wrath Of Con
Genre – Sci-Fi
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What kind of animal is Punxsutawney Phil in Groundhog Day?
2. Jailhouse Rock starred which musician?
3. Who played the title character in Schindler’s List?
4. How many grandchildren does John Hammond have in Jurassic Park (specifically, how many do we see)?
5. The Great Escape is set in which country?
GERMANY (now Poland)
6. What was the name of the character that seduces Benjamin Braddock in The Graduate? [bonus point for naming the actress who portrayed her]
MRS. ROBINSON [Anne Bancroft]
7. Forrest Gump operated a successful company specialising in what type of seafood?
8. What year is Back To The Future II set (specifically the start)?
9. The Day The Earth Stood Still was remade in 2008. What year was the original released?
10. What Parcel company does Tom Hanks’ character work for in Cast Away?
11. Which John Ford film, released in 1956, is said to be John Wayne’s most successful film?
12. When Michael Myers kills his first victim in Halloween, what kind of mask is he wearing?
ROUND II: Filming [Michael Bay’s Transformers Special]
1. Transformers is based on which 1980’s television/comic series?
2. Who plays the lead role of Sam Witwicky?
3. What type of vehicle does Optimus transform into?
4. What are the names of the two warring robot factions? (one point per correct answer)
AUTOBOTS / DECEPTICONS
5. What is the subtitle of the second film?
REVENGE OF THE FALLEN
6. What is the name of the secret government department that Agent Simmons works for?
7. What is the name of the cube that gives the transformers life?
8. What are the names of the two controversial characters (dubbed ‘the twins’) in the second film which were considered incredibly racist? (one point per correct answer)
SKIDS / MUDFLAP
9. What is the Witwicky family motto?
NO SACRIFICE, NO VICTORY
10. What is Sam’s eBay username?
11. What does the military group NEST stand for?
NETWORK ELEMENTS: SUPPORTERS AND TRANSFORMERS
12. To date, the second Transformers film holds the record for highest amount of paid product placements. True or False
TRUE (47 in total)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What is the full title of Dr. Strangelove?
DR. STRANGELOVE OR: HOW I LEARNED TO STOP WORRYING AND LOVE THE BOMB
2. What are the professional names for the two magicians played by Hugh Jackman (Robert Angier) and Christian Bale (Alfred Borden), in The Prestige? (one point per correct answer)
THE GREAT DANTON / THE PROFESSOR
3. What is the name of the disco that Tony frequents in Saturday Night Fever?
4. What were the titles of the first and last films directed by Orson Welles? (one point per correct answer)
CITIZEN KANE / F FOR FAKE
5. What is the name of the captain of the Nostromo in Alien?
6. What is Vin’s (Steve McQueen) reason for joining the group, in The Magnificent Seven? [bonus point for naming the actor/character who shares the same reason]
BROKE FROM GAMBLING [Charles Bronson/Bernardo O’Reilly joins because he is also broke]
7. What is the one thing that can defeat the devil in the 1990 parody Repossessed (starring Leslie Nielson and Linda Blair)?
8. In Life Is Beautiful (La Vita E Bella) Guido Orefice convinces his son that their imprisonment in a concentration camp is a game, what is the prize for the winners?
9. How many times was The Wizard Of Oz filmed before the infamous 1939 release?
TWICE (1910 / 1925)
10. What are titles of the three films in Bernardo Bertolucci’s Oriental Trilogy? (one point per correct answer)
THE LAST EMPEROR / THE SHELTERING SKY / LITTLE BUDDHA
11. What was the title of Sam Peckinpah’s 1969 release?
THE WILD BUNCH
12. How often does Han hold a martial arts tournament on his island, in Enter The Dragon?
EVERY THREE YEARS
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which 90s Disney film was made for 25 million dollars and went on to make over 375 million? Aladdin? Beauty And The Beast? The Lion King?
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST [Aladdin 28/500+ Lion King 45/780+]
2. Who directed The Omen? Richard Donner? Brian De Palma? John Schlesinger?
3. Citizen Kane, Shadow Of A Doubt and The Third Man all starred which actor? Orson Welles? Joseph Cotton? Ray Collins?
4. How many ex-girlfriends does Rob Gordon visit in High Fidelity? Four? Five? Six?
FIVE [Laura / Alison / Penny / Jackie / Charlie]
5. Who was the first director to say, “Lights, camera, action”? D.W. Griffith? Cecil B. DeMille? Alfred Hitchcock?
6. What US city is The Departed set in? Detroit? Boston? Chicago?
7. Whilst posing as millionaire ‘Junior’, in Some Like It Hot, Tony Curtis impersonated which fellow actor? Charlton Heston? Gregory Peck? Cary Grant?
8. Which of the following actors is a huge comic book fan, taking his stage name from comics, sporting a Marvel tattoo and naming his son Kal-El? Hugh Jackman? Nicolas Cage? Michael Keaton?
9. What is Roger Thornhill’s job in North By Northwest? Advertising Executive? Photographer? Detective? [bonus point for naming the actor who played Thornhill]
ADVERTISING EXECUTIVE [Cary Grant]
10. In 1989’s Heathers, Christian Slater plays JD. What does JD stand for? James Dice? Johnny Dayton? Jason Dean?
11. ‘This time it’s personal’ was the poster tagline for which Jaws sequel? Jaws 2? Jaws 3D? Jaws 4: The Revenge?
JAWS IV: THE REVENGE
12. Up until 2007 Nick Cave was writing a sequel to Gladiator in which Maximus would be reincarnated across time, including Ancient Rome, World War II and a contemporary Pentagon setting. True or False?
BONUS MINI-ROUND: Akira
1. What colour is Kaneda’s bike?
2. What is the name of Kaneda’s best friend?
3. The finale takes place in what type of stadium?
4. What year is the film set?
5. What is the name of Kaneda’s gang?