[31 July 2011]
Genre – A harrowing tale of the worlds first super hero made from mechanically recovered meat
Cheaper By The Dirty Dozen
Genre – Steve Martin has to cope with the hilarious consequences of having 12 children, all of whom are World War II commandoes
Genre – A small town in the middle of middle of a mystical accident, filmed by children on 12 megapixel phones
Genre – Micky Dolenz and eleven motion captured Andy Serkis’ in a rockumentary thriller with sexy results
12 Angry Monkeys
Genre – No violence, no sex, no swearing, not worth seeing
Captain Birdseye: The Fish Molester
Genre – A fish compartment chiller
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Who directed Francis Ford Coppola’s Dracula?
FRANCIS FORD COPPOLA
2. “If you’ve got a taste for terror, take Carrie to the prom” was the poster tagline for which film?
3. Blazing Saddles is a parody of which genre?
4. And Now For Something Completely Different was the first film by which comedy troupe?
5. Shakespeare In Love is largely an reinterpretation of Shakespearean play?
ROMEO AND JULIET
6. How many fairies raise Aurora in secret, in Sleeping Beauty?
7. What is the name of Daniel’s mentor, played by Pat Morita, in The Karate Kid? (one point for the answer, one point for correct spelling)
8. What was the title of Natasha Henstridge’s 1995 debut?
9. What colours are the six crooks (excluding the two Cabots) in Reservoir Dogs? (one point per correct answer)
WHITE / ORANGE / PINK / BLONDE / BLUE / BROWN
10. Disclosure, Congo and Sphere are all adaptations of novels by which author?
11. What are the subtitles to the three Star Wars prequels? (one point per correct answer)
THE PHANTOM MENACE / ATTACK OF THE CLONES / REVENGE OF THE SITH
12. What does Westley say to Buttercup whenever she asks him to do something, in The Princess Bride?
AS YOU WISH
ROUND II: Filming [Films Rated 12 (1989-1994-2002) Special]
1. How many years did the 12 certificate run in cinemas?
2. Who played the title role in Robin Hood: Prince Of Thieves?
3. What were the two subtitles of the Ace Ventura films? (one point per correct answer)
PET DETECTIVE / WHEN NATURE CALLS
4. What were the names of the two shuttles in Armageddon? (one point per correct answer)
FREEDOM / INDEPENDENCE
5. Which film did James Cameron quote when accepting his academy award for best director?
TITANIC (screaming “I’m the king of the world” while pumping his oscar statuette)
6. What is Forrest Gump’s favourite book?
7. Which city trialled the PG-12 certificate (which was replaced by 12a) from Oct01 – Jan02?
8. Sam Wheat and Molly Jensen are the lead characters in which 1990 release?
9. The premise of 1997’s Liar Liar was essentially a remake of which 1941 Bob Hope film?
NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH
10. What did Andrew Davis direct after Under Siege?
11. What were the first and last films to be rated 12? (one point per correct answer)
BATMAN / SPIDER-MAN
12. When speaking with the alien invaders, in Independence Day, Bill Pullman used the memory of dental surgery to achieve the required expression. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What was the original title of the Anthony Hopkins, Alec Baldwin survival thriller, The Edge?
2. When the fellowship leaves Elrond, in Lord Of The Rings, Frodo asks which way to Mordor. What is Gandalf’s response?
3. How many Look Who’s Talking films were made?
4. How many times does Kim Basinger scream in Batman?
5. Tom Cruise and Cameron Diaz have co-starred how many times? [bonus points for naming the titles]
TWICE [Vanilla Sky / Knight And Day]
6. The Wizard Of Oz (1939), Oliver Twist (1948) and King Of Kings (1961) all feature title sequences with the same type of naturally occurring items in the background. What are they?
7. What is the name of Daniel Day-Lewis’ character in The Last Of The Mohicans?
8. In Back To The Future Part II, Doc Brown confesses that time travelling is too dangerous and that he should devote his life to the only other great mystery of the universe. What is it?
9. Who directed the adaptation of Frank Cottrell Boyce’s Millions?
10. How much does Nick Leeson (played by Ewan McGreggor) manage to lose through bad investments in Rogue Trader?
EIGHT HUNDRED MILLION POUNDS
11. Which three films starred Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jesse Ventura? (one point per correct answer)
PREDATOR / RUNNING MAN / BATMAN & ROBIN
12. Which film received such critical feedback as, “Stunningly misguided, aggressively bad folly”, “The Showgirls of sci-fi” and “May well turn out to be the worst move of this century”
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What event caused Jerome’s (Jude Law) depression in Gattaca? Winning a silver medal? Turned down by a girl? Impotence?
WINNING A SILVER MEDAL
2. What was the name of the boat in The Perfect Storm? Mary Bowers? Savannah Joy? Andrea Gail?
3. What fruit does Zorg chokes on in The Fifth Element? Grape? Cherry? Blackberry? [bonus point for naming the actor who played Zorg]
CHERRY [Gary Oldman]
4. The Never Ending Story was shot in which country? England? France? Germany?
5. Who directed Groundhog Day? Bill Murray? Dan Ackroyd? Harold Ramis?
6. Who wrote the screenplay for True Romance? Robert Rodriguez? Quentin Tarantino? Luc Besson?
7. Which Dostoyevsky novel is Reznik seen reading throughout The Machinist? Crime & Punishment? Demons? The Idiot?
8. Die Hard 2: Die Harder takes place in which airport? Fort Worth? Dulles International? LaGuardia?
9. What is the name of the model, played by Owen Wilson, in Zoolander? Mugatu? Meekus? Hansel?
10. What type of ‘horror villain’ is portrayed in Ravenous? Cannibals? Zombies? Werewolves?
11. What was the alias of Alan Ford’s character in Snatch? Boris The Blade? Cousin Avi? Brick Top?
12. The password used in Eyes Wide Shut is the title of Beethoven’s only opera. True or False?