[19 June 2011]
Genre – A harrowing tale of a vampire’s man-servant
Androids Do But Repli-Can’t
Genre – Paradoxical and theoretical film about dreaming sheep
Genre – Father Christmas hunts down renegade elves
Genre – Behind-the-scenes documentary about a runner on the film Blade
Cool Blade Runnings
Genre – Jamaican replicants take on the olympic bobsleigh
Genre – Carpet World Cinema
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the only name given for the hitman in Luc Besson’s Leon?
What colour is Robert De Niro’s taxi in Taxi Driver?
3. Which 1999 cult success stars Brad Pitt and Ed Norton as founders of a club for fighting (before evolving into a method of striking back at capitalism and the phoniness of the contemporary American dream, acting as forgotten and under-represented agents of chaos of mayhem – in case anyone accuses me of mislabelling the film being solely about fighting)?
4. Which actor voices the dragon in Dragonheart? [bonus point for stating the dragon’s name]
SEAN CONNERY [Draco]
5. The following titles all star which martial artist? Police Story? Rush Hour? Rumble In The Bronx?
6. Dances With Wolves is set during which military conflict? Vietnam? US Civil War? World War One?
US CIVIL WAR
7. Which planet is Discovery One heading to in 2001: A Space Odyssey? [bonus point for naming the year it was released]
8. What is the subtitle of Superman IV?
THE QUEST FOR PEACE
9. Disney’s The Great Mouse Detective is a rough adaptation of the tale of which literary figure? [bonus point for naming the actor who voices the villain, Professor Ratigan]
SHERLOCK HOLMES [Vincent Price]
10. What is Thomas Anderson’s hacking alias in The Matrix?
11. What movie did Quentin Tarantino direct in between Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill?
12. What type of animal is Tai Lung in Kung Fu Panda?
ROUND II: Filming [Blade Runner Special]
1. Who directed Blade Runner?
2. What is the name of the lead, played by Harrison Ford? (one point per name)
3. What was the name of Philip K Dick’s original story that Blade Runner was based on?
DO ANDROIDS DREAM OF ELECTRIC SHEEP?
4. What type of animal does Zhora keep as a pet?
SNAKE (Burmese Python)
5. To date, how many versions have been released (excluding the San Diego sneak peak and the US broadcast version)? [bonus points for naming them]
FIVE [Workprint / US Theatrical / International / Director’s Cut / Final Cut]
6. What is the lifespan of the Nexus 6 models?
7. What was the name given to the flying cars that featured in the film?
8. Who composed the Blade Runner’s synth-heavy score
9. What are Roy’s last words?
TIME TO DIE
10. During the opening Voight/Kampf test, Leon is given a hypothetical scenario in a desert with what type of animal?
11. Who was the original choice to play the lead role?
12. Towards the end of filming, Ridley Scott said in a newspaper that he didn’t like working with Americans, preferring British people who just say “Yes gov’nor” This sparked retaliation amongst the crew who wore t-shirts with slogans such as “Yes gov’nor, my ass” “You soar with eagles when you fly with turkeys” and “Will Rogers never met Ridley Scott” True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Which four actors played the lead roles in Deliverance? (one point per correct answer)
BURT REYNOLDS / JON VOIGHT / RONNY COX / NED BEATTY
2. What is the name of the coveted trophy in the Pixar film, Cars?
THE PISTON CUP
3. What is Luke Jackson arrested for at the start of Cool Hand Luke?
STEALING FROM PARKING METRES
4. The lead characters in The Breakfast Club are given nicknames: Molly Ringwald was The Princess and Judd Nelson was The Criminal. What were the other three? (one point per correct answer)
BRAIN / ATHLETE / BASKET CASE
5. What is the last line in Double Indemnity?
I LOVE YOU, TOO
6. How does the following riddle, from Die Hard With A Vengeance, end? Said Simple Simon to the pieman going to the fair, “Give me your pies..”
OR I’LL CAVE YOUR HEAD IN
7. How many films has Mel Gibson directed? [bonus points for naming the titles]
FOUR [The Man Without A Face / Braveheart / The Passion Of The Christ / Apocalypto]
8. Despite being the film’s lead, where was Alan Ladd billed on the poster for The Glass Key?
THIRD (behind Brian Donlevy and Veronica Lake)
9. What is the name of Walt’s dog in Gran Torino?
10. What is the four digit code used by the CDA in Monsters Inc. ?
11. What is the name of Dr. Leo Marvin’s latest book in What About Bob?
12. What is the name of Blain’s minigun in Predator?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Constance Ockelman was the real name of which actress? Lana Turner? Veronica Lake? Rita Hayworth?
2. The Day The Earth Stood Still, West Side Story and Star Trek: The Motion Picture were directed by whom? Robert Wise? Guy Hamilton? Sergei Bondarchuk?
3. Which of the following films did not feature Robert Mitchum? The Forbidden Past? A Gathering Of Eagles? Farewell, My Lovely?
A GATHERING OF EAGLES
4. Which of Kurosawa’s films was the first to receive international acclaim outside of Japan, unbeknownst to the director himself? Rashomon? Seven Samurai? Throne Of Blood?
5. What is the name of the street gang that kidnap Miao Yin in Big Trouble In Little China? Masters Of Fear? Lords Of Death? The Pain Boys?
LORDS OF DEATH
6. Of his three screenplays, which did Raymond Chandler pen first? Strangers On A Train? Double Indemnity? The Blue Dahlia?
THE BLUE DAHLIA
7. Who plays Arthur in A Kid In Kid Arthur’s Court? Joss Ackland? Terence Stamp? Charles Dance?
8. What is the name of the first newspaper that Charles Kane takes control of in Citizen Kane? The Los Angeles Post? The New York Inquirer? The Daily Times?
THE NEW YORK INQUIRER
9. What is the name of the play David Shayne is trying to get financing for in Bullets Over Broadway? Lives Of Our Brothers? God Of Our Fathers? Pain Of Our Mothers? [bonus point for naming the actor who plays Shayne]
GOD OF OUR FATHERS [John Cusack]
10. Which of the following films did Rob Schneider star in and direct? Deuce Bigalow: Male Gigolo? The Hot Chick? Big Stan?
11. What is Vito Corleone’s first criminal act, as shown in The Godfather: Part II? Steal a rug? Sell drugs? Dispose of a body?
STEAL A RUG
12. In Ben Hurr, the role of Jesus was played by opera singer Claude Heater, as there was originally a scene in which he sings to Ben Hurr from the cross – the only time you would see his face – but it was cut at the last minute. True or False