[05 June 2011]
Popped In Mary
Genre – A harrowing adult drama
XXX-Men: First Arse
Genre – Mutant porn
Genre – Spanish thriller where Sister traces the liposuction death of her twin
The Hills Are Alive With The Sound Of Diagnosis Murder
Genre – Mary Poppins spin-off with Julie Andrews as a murderer and Dick Van Dyke diagnosing it
The Four Velos
Genre – Comedy
Genre – Toilet humour film starring Dick Van Dyke doing another bad accent (Norfolk)
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. How is John Candy’s character related to the kids in Uncle Buck?
2. What is the name of the genre commonly set in the western states of America during the 1800’s?
3. “Hasta La Vista, Baby” “There is no fate but what we make” and “Now I know why you cry” are quotes from which film?
4. What colour is the mask in the Jim Carrey film, The Mask? [bonus point for naming the Norse god it belongs to]
5. Which actor and actress play the lead roles in Sleepless In Seattle? (one point per correct answer)
TOM HANKS / MEG RYAN
6. What was the full title of the first Conan film?
CONAN THE BARBARIAN
7. A Man For All Seasons features which British monarch? [bonus point for naming the actor who portrays him]
KING HENRY VIII [Robert Shaw]
8. Which of James Cameron’s films has afforded him the most academy awards?
9. Which of the ghostbusters is first seen on-screen? Venkman? Stantz? Spengler?
10. What is the name of the 1968 buddy comedy starring Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau?
THE ODD COUPLE
11. Which two films were adapted from Thomas Harris’ Red Dragon? (one point per correct answer)
RED DRAGON / MANHUNTER
12. Who directed A Beautiful Mind?
ROUND II: Filming [Mary Poppins Special]
1. What is Mary Poppins’ profession?
2. What item/accessory does Mary Poppins use to fly?
3. What is the name of Dick Van Dyke’s character?
4. What colour coat is Mary Poppins’ wearing when she is first introduced?
5. Which of the following songs did not feature in the film? Stay Awake? Let’s Go Fly A Kite? Goodbye So Soon?
GOODBYE SO SOON (from The Great Mouse Detective)
6. The film was adapted from which original medium? Musical? Play? Novel?
7. Mary Poppins was released in what year? [bonus point for naming the year it was set]
8. What do the children chase after that causes the first nanny to quit?
9. How many academy awards was Mary Poppins nominated for? [bonus point for naming how many it won]
10. How many times is the word Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious said in the song of the same name? (specifically the whole word, not including backwards or spelled-out variations)
11. What are the first words of the film, as spoken by Dick Van Dyke?
ALL RIGHT, LADIES AND GENTS!
12. Julie Andrews wore a wig throughout the entire filming process. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What is the name of the class in Battle Royale?
2. What are the names of the three Pre-Cogs in Minority Report? (one point per correct answer)
ARTHUR / AGATHA / DASHIELL
3. What is the name of the 1961 Richard Fleischer epic starring Anthony Quinn, Silvana Mangano and Arthur Kennedy?
4. What is the surname of the mob family in The Goonies?
5. The majority of Braveheart takes place in which century?
6. What do Gaz and friends use to distract Gerald during his interview in The Full Monty?
7. What nationality was Charlton Heston’s character in Touch Of Evil?
8. What type of metabolic disease does Shelby suffer from in Steel Magnolias?
9. “You will orbit into the fantastic future” was the poster tagline for which film?
THE TIME MACHINE (1960)
10. At the start of 24 Hour Party People Steve Coogan breaks the fourth wall and references which Greek legend?
11. What were the three films that made up Chan-Wook Park’s Vengeance Trilogy? (one point per correct answer)
SYMPATHY FOR MR. VENGEANCE / OLDBOY / LADY VENGEANCE
12. What was the title of the first film released by MTV Films?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Who plans and leads the takeover of the plane in Con Air? Ving Rhames? John Malkovich? Nick Chinlund?
2. Having failed to deactivate the bomb, what does Riggs say before it explodes in Lethal Weapon 3? Grab the cat? We should go? Hand me the vest?
GRAB THE CAT
3. Who voiced the title character in the 1968 Disney release Blackbeard’s Ghost? Peter Ustinov? Robert Shaw? Gregory Peck?
4. Where was the plane carrying General Carnaby flying to in Where Eagles Dare? Austria? Crete? Sicily?
5. During his suspension from narcotics, which department of the LAPD is Jack Vincennes transferred to, in LA Confidential? Homicide? Arson? Vice?
6. In which film does John Wayne play a safari hunter, capturing and selling animals to zoos? Hatari? The Magnificent Showman? Hondo?
7. What is Juan’s nickname for John in A Fistful Of Dynamite? El Diablo? Firecracker? Senor Irish? [bonus points for naming the actors who played Juan and John]
FIRECRACKER [Rod Steiger / James Coburn]
8. During his cameo appearance in Strangers On A Train, what is Alfred Hitchcock carrying? Oil Painting? Pug? Double Bass?
9. What year was Khartoum, starring Laurence Olivier and Charlton Heston, released? 1966? 1967? 1968?
10. The two sons of Adam Trask, in East Of Eden, are representative of biblical figure Cain (Cal) and Abel (Aron) – which one was played by James Dean? Cal? Aron? Neither?
11. What did D.W. Griffith direct after Birth Of A Nation? Hearts Of The World? Intolerance? The Great Love?
12. Tennessee Williams disliked the adaptaion of Cat On A Hot Tin Roof so much that he drove around Los Angeles and persuaded people in the queues to go home. True or False?
TRUE (he said the film would set the industry back fifty years)