[27 February 2011]
If You’re Thinking Of Goin’ To The Film Quiz Alone.. Don’t
Genre – Cautionary harrowing public information film from the 70’s
Genre – Builders new wave of new wave
You’ve Got Dead On You
Genre – Zombie Comedy Sequel
Never Let Me Grow
Genre – A horticultural nightmare of home grown clones and an obsessive and lonely gardner
Genre – Period piece (in the early 90’s) where Puckman reclaims his true identity and throne
Let The Right One Win
Genre – Rom-Zom-Vam-Com
Dogs Can’t Look Up
Genre – A Pixar movie directed by Edgar Wright
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. John Wayne’s frequent use of “That’ll be the day” throughout one film inspired Buddy Holly to write which song? [bonus point for naming the Wayne film in which this quote is said]
THAT’LL BE THE DAY [The Searchers]
2. What colour was Herbie, in The Love Bug?
3. “Frankly, my dear, I don’t give a damn” was a quote from which film? [bonus point for naming the actor who said it]
GONE WITH THE WIND [Clark Gable]
4. What is the name of Han Solo’s co-pilot, in the original Star Wars trilogy?
5. Caddyshack focuses on which sport?
6. In The Addams Family, Gomez Addams has a love for model: Cars? Planes? Trains?
7. What was the subtitle of the South Park movie?
BIGGER, LONGER AND UNCUT
8. Who played Danny Ocean in the 1960 original and 2001 remake of Ocean’s 11? (one point per correct answer)
FRANK SINATRA / GEORGE CLOONEY
9. The Max Max trilogy was filmed in which country?
10. What was the title of the most recent Disney animated release?
11. What is the name of the adapted ballet being performed in Black Swan?
12. What was the last film directed by Steven Spielberg?
INDIANA JONES AND THE KINGDOM OF THE CRYSTAL SKULL
ROUND II: Filming [Edgar Wright Special]
1. Scott Pilgrim Vs The World is based on which comic book series?
2. What is the name of Ed and Shaun’s housemate played by Peter Serafinowicz?
3. What is the name of the Gloucestershire village that Nicholas Angel is sent to, in Hot Fuzz?
4. Scott Pilgrim is set in which country?
5. Who portrays Shaun’s stepfather in Shaun Of The Dead? [bonus point for naming the character]
BILL NYE [Philip]
6. In Hot Fuzz, one of Nicholas Angel’s first assignments is to locate what kind of bird?
7. What is the name of Scott’s band in Scott Pilgrim?
8. Which of the following records was not thrown at the zombies in the garden, in Shaun Of The Dead? Purple Rain? The Batman Soundtrack? Dire Straits?
9. Who cameo’s as Janine, Nicholas Angel’s ex-girlfriend, in Hot Fuzz?
10. How many different types of tea does Ramona offer Scott in Scott Pilgrim?
11. Edward Woodward was asked to play Professor Tom Weaver, in Hot Fuzz, as a nod to a strict policeman he played in which 70’s film?
THE WICKER MAN
12. The pub used in Shaun Of The Dead is in fact the same one used in The Long Good Friday as the Lion and Unicorn. True or False? [bonus point for naming the pub in Shaun Of The Dead]
FALSE [The Winchester]
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. How long is Snake Plissken given before the microscopic explosives rupture his arteries in Escape From New York?
TWENTY FOUR HOURS
2. What was the name of John Lithgow’s character in Footloose?
REV. SHAW MOORE
3. What is the name of the café where Amelie works as a waitress?
THE TWO WINDMILLS
4. What was the title of the 1975 sequel to True Grit that starred John Wayne and Katharine Hepburn?
5. What are the titles of Gus Van Sant’s ‘death trilogy’? (one point per correct answer)
GERRY / ELEPHANT / LAST DAYS
6. Including the title character, how many samurai band together in Sanjuro?
7. Who played the roles of Mario and Luigi in 90s disaster, Super Mario Bros? (one point per correct answer)
BOB HOSKINS / JOHN LEGUIZAMO
8. What was the title of Kevin Costner’s first western (and breakout role)?
9. Who directed Three Men And A Baby?
10. What was the name that Fogell chose for his fake ID in Superbad?
11. Metropolis, Das Cabinet Des Dr. Caligari and The Golem belong to which twenties genre/cinematic movement?
12. What type of McDonalds breakfast meal does the homeless man ask Sonny to buy for him, in Big Daddy? [bonus point for naming the actor who cameo’d as the homeless man]
EGG MCMUFFIN [Steve Buscemi]
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King won all of its eleven academy award nominations, how many of the thirteen nominations did Fellowship Of The Ring win? 0? 2? 4?
2. How many carats is the diamond in Snatch? 24? 64? 84?
3. Due to black/white characters interacting with those in colour, the 1998 release Pleasantville had the most digital effects shots until it was replaced by which movie? The Mummy? Star Wars: Episode I? The Matrix?
STAR WARS: EPISODE I
4. Fish And Chips; The Crunchy Comedy was the French title of which British 90’s comedy? The Full Monty? East Is East? Brassed Off?
EAST IS EAST
5. Which of the three amigos was shot in the arm during their confrontation with El Guapo in The Three Amigos? Dusty? Lucky? Ned? [bonus point for naming the actor who played the character]
LUCKY [Steve Martin]
6. Which of the following is not one of the heroes in Mystery Men? Red Arrow? The Bowler? Invisible Boy?
7. Which of the following Shakespearean plays has Brannagh not directed? Much Ado About Nothing? As You Like It? Othello?
8. Of the following titles, which won the Best Picture Oscar in 1989? Rain Man? Dangerous Liaisons? Mississippi Burning?
9. Which of the following did not star in Road To Perdition? Alfred Molina? Daniel Craig? Jude Law?
10. Who directed Hellboy and its sequel, The Golden Army? Michel Gondry? Guillermo Del Toro? Zack Snyder?
GUILLERMO DEL TORO
11. The sound of the scrolling matrix code was recorded by digitising what sound? Liquid poured onto denim? Raindrops falling against a window pane? Small battery-powered fan submerged in water?
RAINDROPS FALLING AGAINST A WINDOW PANE
12. Many critics marked down Baz Luhrmann’s Australia because Nicole Kidman’s botox injections grossly affected with her performance. True or False?