[16 January 2011]
The King’s Speech
Genre – A harrowing 18th Century medical drama
There Can Be Only One . . Quiz Winner
Genre – Reality drama
The Centipede Millipede
Genre – A Dreamworks/SKG animated love story
The Three Musketeers
Genre – Dance trip-hop
Genre – Immortals in Norwich
Saving Ryan’s Privates
Genre – Medical drama
A View To A Kilt
Genre – Highlander meets James Bond
The Trons: Team, Really Only Novices
Genre – Sci-Fi
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Alexander details the life of which historical figure? (bonus point for naming the actor who played the lead role)
ALEXANDER THE GREAT (Colin Farrell)
2. The Last King Of Scotland is set in which country?
AFRICA (specifically Uganda)
3. Which of the following films starred Kevin Spacey? American Psycho? American Beauty? American History X?
4. How many Batman movies (excl. Adam West) were made before the 2006 reboot?
5. Who plays, William, the squire posing as a knight in A Knight’s Tale?
6. How many girls make up the social group known as ‘the plastics’ (excl. Lindsay Lohan) in Mean Girls?
7. Which actor starred in Fever Pitch, Bridget Jones’ Diary and Dorian Gray?
8. What are the Coen brothers’ first names? (one point per correct answer)
JOEL / ETHAN
9. Sean Connery was the first James Bond, where does Pierce Brosnan appear in the running order? (i.e. third, fourth, fifth, etc)
10. Poster Tagline: Part I – Which Star Wars film features the following poster tagline, “The adventure continues”?
THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
11. Who directed Mystic River, The Bridges Of Madison County and Pale Rider?
12. The author of Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas makes a cameo in the film adaptation. What is his name?
HUNTER S. THOMPSON
ROUND II: Filming [Highlander Special]
1. What are the race of immortals known as in Highlander?
2. Who plays the lead role of Connor MacLeod?
3. What colour is the handle of Ramirez’s katana?
4. What year was Highlander released?
5. Which band (after viewing footage of the film) contributed several songs, despite only being contracted to do one?
6. How many sequels did Highlander spawn?
FOUR (The Quickening / The Final Dimension / Endgame / The Source)
7. Which character says, “Crude and slow, clansman; your attack was no better than that of a clumsy child”?
8. What is the name of Connor’s adopted daughter?
9. What year was the brandy bottled? (point to closest answer)
10. What is the name of the rival clan that the MacLeod clan fight in the opening of the film?
11. The opening wrestling scene was originally intended to be which other sport?
12. This was the first film in which Christopher Lambert was expected to say more than a few words in English. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What is the first line of narration in Goodfellas? (one point if close, two if spot on)
AS FAR BACK AS I CAN REMEMBER, I ALWAYS WANTED TO BE A GANGSTER
2. What is the name of the book that Miles is trying to publish in Sideways?
THE DAY AFTER YESTERDAY
3. In the film Parenthood, which actor ends up dressing as a cowboy, for a birthday party, when the hired professional fails to show?
4. What was the name of the stop-motion segment in 1988’s Moonwalker?
5. In Back To The Future, the time machine requires a nuclear reaction to generate how many gigawatts of electricity?
ONE POINT TWENTY ONE
6. Which film features the following quote, “I believe in two things, discipline and the bible. Here you’ll receive both. Put your trust in the Lord, your ass belongs to me”?
THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION
7. The Daily Telegraph wrote the following quote about which film? “[title] may not provide any satisfactory answers as to how a 23 year old medical student went on to become arguably the most famous revolutionary of the latter half of the 20th Century but it has an undeniable charm”
THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES (DIARIOS DE MOTOCICLETA)
8. Which four actors play the roles of the untouchables in the film of the same name? (one point per correct answer)
KEVIN COSTNER / SEAN CONNERY / ANDY GARCIA / CHARLES MARTIN SMITH
9. Poster Tagline: Part II – “Collide with destiny”?
10. What year was Pan’s Labyrinth released?
11. Who played the title roles in 1967’s Bonnie & Clyde? (one point per correct answer)
WARREN BEATTY / FAYE DUNAWAY
12. What was the title of the only film to star both Humphrey Bogart and Gloria Grahame?
IN A LONELY PLACE
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which Egyptian god is not seen/mentioned in Stargate? Horus? Anubis? Seth?
2. Peter Parker is the name of which superhero? Superman? Spiderman? Batman?
3. How many times is the story repeated (with different outcomes) in Run, Lola, Run? Two? Three? Four?
4. Mr. Nanny featured which WWF wrestler? Hulk Hogan? The Rock? Stone Cold Steve Austin?
5. Which of the following titles is not a Woody Allen film? Seen From The Shadows? Sweet And Lowdown? Take The Money And Run?
SEEN FROM THE SHADOWS
6. What does James (played by John Travolta) do to earn a living when he meets Mollie in Look Who’s Talking? Waits tables? Drives a cab? Sells drugs?
DRIVES A CAB
7. Poster Tagline: Part III – “They keep coming back in a bloodthirsty lust for human flesh”? Night Of The Living Dead? Dawn Of The Dead? Day Of The Dead?
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
8. What was the name of the academy award winning short film that Martin McDonagh wrote and directed before In Bruges? The Lonesome Queen? Six Shooter? Skulls On Pillows?
9. Which of the following was not listed in the Prince Ali song in Aladdin? Fifty three golden peacocks? Ninety five white Persian monkeys? Sixty elephants?
FIFTY THREE GOLDEN PEACOCKS
10. Which of the following actors has not played Hamlet on-screen? Joseph Fiennes? Orson Welles? Ethan Hawke?
11. Which Jamiroquai song does Napoleon Dynamite famously dance to in the film of the same name? Deeper Underground? Canned Heat? Virtual Insanity?
12. During an interview for Good Morning, America, Terry Gilliam was asked if he was having trouble with the studio upon completion of Brazil. Gilliam responded, “No, I’m having a problem with Sid Sheinberg. Here’s an 8×10 picture of him” and held up his photo on national television. True or False?
TRUE (Sheinberg was the studio head blocking the release of Brazil)