[02 January 2011]
Genre – A Marilyn Monroe superhero film
Black Swan Dive
Genre – Tense psychological thriller about synchronised swimmers
Point Break Wind
Genre – (f)Arthouse
There Won’t Be Blood
Genre – A musical reimagining of My Fair Lady
The Lion King’s Speech
Genre – Animated royal drama
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What was the title of the first film in the Police Academy series?
2. Evil Dead 2 and Army Of Darkness are sequels to which film?
THE EVIL DEAD
3. What is Ferris taking a day off from in Ferris Bueller’s Day Off? Work? School? Community Service?
4. Which actor starred in The Good, The Bad & The Ugly, Pale Rider and The Outlaw Josey Wales?
5. Which Disney film tells the story of inventor, Wayne Szalinski, who builds a device capable of shrinking objects, including his family? [bonus point for naming the sequel]
HONEY, I SHRUNK THE KIDS [Honey, I Blew Up The Kid]
6. Complete the following title of this 1951 film: A Streetcar Named.
7. Days Of Thunder focuses on which type of racing past-time? Horses? Dogs? Cars?
8. What device did Bill and Ted use to travel through time in Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventures? [bonus point for correctly naming the conduits they travel through]
PHONE BOOTH [The Circuits Of History]
9. Who starred in the lead role in 1989’s Henry V?
10. Who directed The Bridge On The River Kwai?
11. The Man In The Iron Mask tells the story of the corrupt king of which country?
12. Throughout the film Edward Scissorhands sculpts with three mediums. One point for each named.
HEDGES / HAIR / ICE
ROUND II: Filming 
1. Ed Wood is the biopic of which 50’s director?
2. Interview With The Vampire is based on the novel of the same name by which author?
3. Which actor plays terrorist, Howard Payne, in Speed?
4. Who directed Quiz Show?
5. Which actors portray Alex, David and Juliet in Shallow Grave? (one point per correct answer)
EWAN MCGREGOR / CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON / KERRY FOX
6. What did Butch inherit from his father in Pulp Fiction?
7. How many thugs make up the gang that attacked Eric Draven and Shelly Webster in The Crow?
FOUR (T-Bird / Tin Tin / Funboy / Skank)
8. What is the name of Carlito’s nightclub in Carlito’s Way? The Riviera? Club Paradise? After Hours?
9. 1994 saw the release of the first British film to top the US Box Office charts since A Fish Called Wanda. What was its title?
FOUR WEDDINGS AND A FUNERAL
10. The live-action version of The Flintstones was on the books at Universal since the mid-seventies but the 1994 version would not have been made at all, if which member of the cast turned down their role?
11. What is the name of the counter-terrorist task force that Harry Tasker works for in True Lies?
THE OMEGA SECTOR
12. Many of the crowd scenes in Stargate feature mannequins as they were cheaper than extras. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What is Indiana Jones’ middle name?
2. When Jean turns up with his wife and daughter, in Jean de Florette, he states his intentions to make the farm profitable in two years, breeding what animal?
3. While the word mafia is never said in The Godfather, how many times is it used in The Godfather: Part II?
4. Who plays the bounty hunter, Jellon Lamb in The Proposition?
5. Five product placements are referenced in one scene in Wayne’s World. Name them. (one point per correct answer)
PIZZA HUT / DORITOS / REEBOK / NUPRIN / PEPSI
6. Which two Australian musicians wrote the score for The Assassination Of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford? (one point per correct answer)
NICK CAVE / WARREN ELLIS
7. Nimród Antal’s Hungarian film Kontroll takes place on which mode of transport?
8. Despite the fact Kevin Spacey’s character is often referred to as Verbal Kint in The Usual Suspects, what is his first name?
9. Which 40’s film featured the quote, “Nobody thinks in terms of human beings. Governments don’t, why should we? They talk about the people and proletariat, I talk about the suckers and the mugs – it’s the same thing”?
THE THIRD MAN
10. What was the name of the program that escapes the lightcycle grid with Tron and Flynn, in Tron?
11. John Carpenter’s Assault On Precinct 13 is largely inspired by which western?
12. To date, only five actors have won an academy award for a role primarily in a language other than English. Name them. (one point per correct answer)
SOPHIA LOREN / ROBERT DE NIRO / ROBERTO BENIGNI / BENICIO DEL TORO / MARION COTILLARD
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. In what year did Orson Welles direct and star in the film adaptation of Macbeth? 1946? 1947? 1948?
2. The titles All Together With Passion (Italy), Happy Days (Turkey) and The Rebel Novice (Brazil) were all used internationally for which Robert Wise release? West Side Story? Star? The Sound Of Music?
THE SOUND OF MUSIC
3. Who was the first to die in The Thing? Bennings? Cooper? Windows?
4. Who played the invisible man in the 1933 film of the same name? Colin Clive? Claude Rains? Lon Chaney?
5. What crippled Rizzo’s leg in Midnight Cowboy? Polio? Hit by car? Cancer?
6. Which is the only Sergio Leone directed film released without a score composed by Ennio Morricone? A Fistful Of Dynamite? Once Upon A Time In America? The Colossus Of Rhodes?
THE COLOSSUS OF RHODES
7. What is the correct wording of Blain’s quote in Predator? Got no time to bleed? Ain’t got time to bleed? Ain’t got no time to bleed?
AIN’T GOT TIME TO BLEED
8. The opening and closing narration of Zulu is read by which actor? Richard Burton? Peter O’Toole? Charlton Heston?
9. ‘Inside everyone is a frontier waiting to be discovered’ is the poster tagline for which film? The Cell? Dances With Wolves? Star Trek V: The Final Frontier?
DANCES WITH WOLVES
10. What is the name of the dog in The Grinch Who Stole Christmas? Rover? Jack? Max?
11. What is the last line of The Day The Earth Stood Still? The decision rests with you? We shall be waiting for your answer? Your choice is simple?
THE DECISION RESTS WITH YOU
12. After a prolonged legal battle between Renee Zellwegger and Catherine Zeta-Jones, it was decided by coin-toss who would receive top billing on the posters for Chicago. True or False?
FALSE (in the end, no one could agree, so a diagonal billing was created – if read from left-to-right, Zeta-Jones was top, if read top-to-bottom, Zellwegger was top)