[05 December 2010]
Hit Girl Doesn’t Live Here Anymore!
Genre – A harrowing tale of a family ripped apart by an eleven year old supergirl with a rocket launcher
A Miracle On St. Andrews Street
Genre – It’ll be a miracle if we win this quiz
Not So Goodfellas
Genre – Incompetent gangster drama
Sly And The Family Stallone
Genre – Sylvester Stallone does Motown biopic
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Beowulf is based on which old English tale?
2. In which film does Jim Carrey play Truman Burbank, a man who unknowingly stars in his own television show?
THE TRUMAN SHOW
3. Which army did Maximus command in Gladiator? Roman? Greek? Persian?
4. What type of animal was Scar in The Lion King? [bonus point for stating the title of his song]
LION [Be Prepared]
5. What was the name of the terminator’s target in the 1984 film of the same name?
6. According to The Fifth Element, what are the first four elements? (one point per correct answer)
WATER / EARTH / FIRE / AIR
7. What is the name of the legendary pirate in The Princess Bride?
THE DREAD PIRATE ROBERTS
8. What were Tom Cruise and Val Kilmer’s call-signs in Top Gun? (one point per correct answer)
MAVERICK / ICE MAN
9. What film did Baz Luhrmann direct in between Romeo + Juliet (1996) and Australia (2008)?
10. What is the final song that the unemployed northerners (couldn’t think of a better way to describe them) strip to in The Full Monty? [bonus point for stating the singer/band]
YOU CAN LEAVE YOUR HAT ON [Tom Jones]
11. Who played Harry Lime in The Third Man?
12. Ann Darrow, Carl Denham, Jack Driscoll and the S.S. Venture are all names from which thirties film?
ROUND II: Filming [Martin Scorsese Special]
1. As with most Scorsese films, Gangs Of New York is set in which city?
2. Which Scorsese film depicts the life of boxer, Jake La Motta? [bonus point for naming the actor who played Jake]
RAGING BULL [Robert De Niro]
3. Who plays the role of Jesus in The Last Temptation Of Christ? [bonus point for stating who played Pontius Pilate]
WILLEM DAFOE [David Bowie]
4. The Aviator is a biography of which eccentric millionaire?
5. What type of facility is housed on Shutter Island?
ASYLUM FOR THE CRIMINALLY INSANE
6. What is the title of Scorsese’s only musical to date?
NEW YORK, NEW YORK
7. Goodfella’s long tracking shot in the Copa was captured in how many takes?
8. Which Scorsese film tells the story of Charlie and his close but destructive friend, Johhny Boy?
9. What was the name of Scorsese’s first feature film? [bonus point for stating the year]
WHO’S THAT KNOCKING AT MY DOOR? 
10. Taxi Driver is inspired by the writings of which Russian author?
11. The Age Of Innocence is dedicated to whom?
CHARLES SCORSESE (Martin’s father)
12. When James Woods heard that Scorsese was interested in working with him, Woods left an answering machine message simply saying, “Any time, any place, any part, any fee.” True or False? [bonus point for stating the film in question]
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. How many year/s passed between the publication of the novel True Grit and the 1969 John Wayne film of the same name?
2. Which actor starred in Saving Private Ryan, Planet Of The Apes, Cinderella Man and Cold Souls?
3. In The Reader, how old is Michael Berg when he first begins his affair with Hanna Schmitz?
4. What was Alan Rickman’s debut film?
5. The Whitney Huston song, “I will always love you” was recorded for which film?
6. What years were the Naked Gun films released? (one point per correct answer)
1988 / 1991 / 1994
7. What is the name of Victor’s deceased dog in Corpse Bride?
8. What is the name of Frankie’s gym in Million Dollar Baby? Champ’s Corner? The Hit Pit? Tough Enough?
THE HIT PIT
9. Which three actors play the ‘dads’ in Three Men And A Baby? (one point per correct answer)
TOM SELLECK / TED DANSON / STEVE GUTTENBERG
10. During one particular scene in La Vie En Rose, Edith Piaf is given her stage name by a nightclub owner. What does Piaf mean? [bonus point for naming the actor who played the nightclub owner]
SPARROW [Gérard Depardieu]
11. Who directed the Carry On films?
12. What is the title of the 1988 comedy starring Tom Hanks and Sally Field as two stand up comics?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. “I can hear you whispering children, so I know you’re down there. I can feel myself getting awful mad. I’m out of patience children, I’m coming to find you now” is a quote from which film? Kiss Me Deadly? Night Of The Hunter? The 39 Steps?
NIGHT OF THE HUNTER
2. Who directed the 1932 original Scarface? William A. Wellman? Mervyn LeRoy? Howard Hawks?
3. The Quiet Man was set in which fictional Irish village? Connefraigh? Innisfree? Famalah? [bonus point for stating what the town was named after]
INNISFREE [Island in Lough Gill, Sligo]
4. Who composed the score for Once Upon A Time In America? Bill Conti? Jerry Goldsmith? Ennio Morricone?
5. Which actress played the title role in 1956’s Anastasia? Deborah Kerr? Ingrid Bergman? Lana Turner?
6. Which of the following films did not afford Sigourney Weaver an Academy Award nomination? Aliens? The Ice Storm? Gorillas In The Mist?
THE ICE STORM
7. How did Eddie, George and Lloyd meet in The Roaring Twenties? Went to the same school? Stationed together in WWI? All involved in the same barroom brawl? [bonus points for naming the actors who played Eddie, George and Lloyd]
MET IN A FOXHOLE DURING WORLD WAR I [James Cagney / Humphrey Bogart / Jeffrey Lynn]
8. Which actress played the role of Virginia Woolf in The Hours? Julianne Moore? Nicole Kidman? Meryl Streep?
9. Which of the following is not one of the musical numbers from Chicago? All That Jazz? Maybe This Time? Razzle Dazzle?
MAYBE THIS TIME
10. How many targets must Vincent assassinate in Collateral? Four? Five? Eight?
11. Which of the following is the correct quote from White Heat? Top of the world, Ma!? Made it, Ma! Top of the world!? How you like me now, top of the world!?
MADE IT, MA! TOP OF THE WORLD!
12. Rio Bravo marked the last time John Wayne wore the same hat he had worn since Stagecoach twenty years earlier. True or False?