[24 October 2010]
Let The Right One Win
Genre – Camp vamp horror with music by Nick Cave
The Crow’s Foot-Loose
Genre – Kevin Bacon returns from the dead to dance his revenge
Burke + Hairless – The Ross Kemp Story
Genre – Harrowing documentary about army grave robbing
Moonwalker 2: Reanimated
Genre – Michael Jackson is brought back from the dead as a brain-eating zombie
The Hills Have Conjunctivitis
Genre – Medical musical comedy
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the lead ogre in the Shrek series?
2. What type of animal is the title character in Free Willy?
3. In which country is the majority of Trainspotting set?
4. Who directed Pulp Fiction?
5. Which film features the quote, “You’re gonna need a bigger boat”?
6. There are four films in the Alien Saga, what are their titles? (one point per correct answer)
ALIEN / ALIENS / ALIEN 3 / ALIEN RESSURECTION
7. Speed and Speed 2 take place on which forms of transport? (one point per correct answer)
BUS / BOAT
8. What are the names of the two detectives in the Lethal Weapon series? (one point per correct answer)
RIGGS / MURTAGH
9. What is the name of Ridley Scott’s adaptation of Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
10. What is the name of the title song in Grease?
GREASE IS THE WORD
11. What drug does Tony Montana primarily deal with in Scarface?
12. The Rocky Horror Picture Show opens with what iconic sequence?
RED LIPS ON A BLACK BACKGROUND
ROUND II: Filming [Horror Special]
1. What is the name of the blood-sucking Transylvanian count played by Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee and Gary Oldman?
2. What is Boris Karloff’s most famous role to date?
3. What type of creature/abomination features in Night Of The Living Dead?
4. What was the name of the demonic child in The Omen?
5. What weapon of choice is used by Ghostface in Scream?
6. Which film features the quote, “I met this six year old child with this blank, pale, emotionless face and the blackest eyes.. the devil’s eyes”?
7. What did Larry use to kill the wolf/Bela in 1941’s The Wolf Man? [bonus point for naming the actor who played Bela]
SILVER-HANDLED WALKING STICK [Bela Lugosi]
8. In what year did Christopher Lee star as Kharis in The Mummy?
9. How many friends and family members of the cast/crew died whilst filming The Exorcist?
10. What is Ash’s response to the possessed Henrietta screaming, “I’ll swallow your soul” in Evil Dead 2?
11. What is the name of the town in which The Blair Witch Project is set?
12. The sets for Das Cabinet Des Dr. Caligari were built so sturdily that the crew had to start controlled fires to take them down. True or False?
FALSE (the sets were made of paper)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What are the names of the prequel and sequel to Desperado? (one point per correct answer)
EL MARIACHI / ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO
2. What was the signal/gesture used to recruit the various crooks in The Sting?
RUBBING NOSE WITH INDEX FINGER
3. Which of Ang Lee’s films have won the most Oscars? [bonus point for stating how many awards]
CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON  (Brokeback Mountain  / Sense & Sensibility )
4. Which actor controversially said “I believe in white supremacy until blacks are educated to a point of responsibility” in 1971?
5. Which film paid Will Smith his highest salary to date?
I, ROBOT ($28,000,000)
6. What is the name/term of the prophesised messiah in Dune?
7. What is the subtitle of The Naked Gun 2.5?
THE SMELL OF FEAR
8. What is the name of the robot voiced by Kevin Spacey in Moon?
9. Which three actors provide the voices for the characters in 1993’s Homeward Bound? (one point per correct answer)
MICHAEL J. FOX / DON AMECHE / SALLY FIELD
10. (Monty Python’s Life Of Brian) What does Romani Ite Domum mean? [three bonus points for stating what Romanes Eunt Domus means]
ROMANS GO HOME [People called Romanes, they go, the house]
11. How many characters appear in all three instalments of The Matrix? (bonus points for each character named)
FIVE [Neo, Morpheus, Trinity, Agent Smith, The Oracle]
12. Which two films are the only remakes to win the Oscar for Best Picture? (one point per correct answer)
BEN HUR / THE DEPARTED
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. According to Rose’s speech in Titanic, how many passengers were saved from the water? Six? Twelve? Eighteen?
2. Which Lauren Bacall film features the quote, “Most women use more brains picking a horse in the third at Belmont than they do a husband”? How To Marry A Millionaire? Key Largo? The Gift Of Love?
HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE
3. Thousands of props were built for Kingdom Of Heaven. One thousand two hundred of which of the following were made? Shields? Crossbows? Flags?
4. Who directed Arsenic And Old Lace? Alfred Hitchcock? Frank Capra? John Huston?
5. Which silent Russian film featured the infamous pram/staircase scene that was most notably duplicated in The Untouchables? Strike? Battleship Potemkin? October? [bonus point for naming the director of all three]
BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN [Sergei M. Eisenstein]
6. During the prologue to 1953’s War Of The Worlds one of our solar system’s planets is neither shown or mentioned. Which one? Mercury? Venus? Earth?
7. Which of the following Audrey Hepburn films is not directly referenced in When It Sizzles In Paris? My Fair Lady? Sabrina? Breakfast At Tiffany’s?
8. Which fruit indicates a death-related event in The Godfather? Apple? Orange? Peach?
9. Akira opens a nuclear explosion on 16-Jul-88. What is the significance of this date? Katsuhiro Otomo’s birthday? Anniversary of Hiroshima bombing? Akira’s release date?
AKIRA’S RELEASE DATE
10. Build My Gallows High was the UK release title for which forties Film Noir picture? The Guilty? Detour? Out Of The Past?
OUT OF THE PAST
11. Which of Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s films was written by someone other than the director? Alien Resurrection? Amelie? Micmacs?
12. Zach Braff features in every single scene of Garden State. True or False?