[24 October 2010]
Let The Right One Win
Genre – Camp vamp horror with music by Nick Cave
The Crow’s Foot-Loose
Genre – Kevin Bacon returns from the dead to dance his revenge
Burke + Hairless – The Ross Kemp Story
Genre – Harrowing documentary about army grave robbing
Moonwalker 2: Reanimated
Genre – Michael Jackson is brought back from the dead as a brain-eating zombie
The Hills Have Conjunctivitis
Genre – Medical musical comedy
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the lead ogre in the Shrek series?
2. What type of animal is the title character in Free Willy?
3. In which country is the majority of Trainspotting set?
4. Who directed Pulp Fiction?
5. Which film features the quote, “You’re gonna need a bigger boat”?
6. There are four films in the Alien Saga, what are their titles? (one point per correct answer)
ALIEN / ALIENS / ALIEN 3 / ALIEN RESSURECTION
7. Speed and Speed 2 take place on which forms of transport? (one point per correct answer)
BUS / BOAT
8. What are the names of the two detectives in the Lethal Weapon series? (one point per correct answer)
RIGGS / MURTAGH
9. What is the name of Ridley Scott’s adaptation of Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep?
10. What is the name of the title song in Grease?
GREASE IS THE WORD
11. What drug does Tony Montana primarily deal with in Scarface?
12. The Rocky Horror Picture Show opens with what iconic sequence?
RED LIPS ON A BLACK BACKGROUND
ROUND II: Filming [Horror Special]
1. What is the name of the blood-sucking Transylvanian count played by Bela Lugosi, Christopher Lee and Gary Oldman?
2. What is Boris Karloff’s most famous role to date?
3. What type of creature/abomination features in Night Of The Living Dead?
4. What was the name of the demonic child in The Omen?
5. What weapon of choice is used by Ghostface in Scream?
6. Which film features the quote, “I met this six year old child with this blank, pale, emotionless face and the blackest eyes.. the devil’s eyes”?
7. What did Larry use to kill the wolf/Bela in 1941’s The Wolf Man? [bonus point for naming the actor who played Bela]
SILVER-HANDLED WALKING STICK [Bela Lugosi]
8. In what year did Christopher Lee star as Kharis in The Mummy?
9. How many friends and family members of the cast/crew died whilst filming The Exorcist?
10. What is Ash’s response to the possessed Henrietta screaming, “I’ll swallow your soul” in Evil Dead 2?
11. What is the name of the town in which The Blair Witch Project is set?
12. The sets for Das Cabinet Des Dr. Caligari were built so sturdily that the crew had to start controlled fires to take them down. True or False?
FALSE (the sets were made of paper)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What are the names of the prequel and sequel to Desperado? (one point per correct answer)
EL MARIACHI / ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO
2. What was the signal/gesture used to recruit the various crooks in The Sting?
RUBBING NOSE WITH INDEX FINGER
3. Which of Ang Lee’s films have won the most Oscars? [bonus point for stating how many awards]
CROUCHING TIGER, HIDDEN DRAGON  (Brokeback Mountain  / Sense & Sensibility )
4. Which actor controversially said “I believe in white supremacy until blacks are educated to a point of responsibility” in 1971?
5. Which film paid Will Smith his highest salary to date?
I, ROBOT ($28,000,000)
6. What is the name/term of the prophesised messiah in Dune?
7. What is the subtitle of The Naked Gun 2.5?
THE SMELL OF FEAR
8. What is the name of the robot voiced by Kevin Spacey in Moon?
9. Which three actors provide the voices for the characters in 1993’s Homeward Bound? (one point per correct answer)
MICHAEL J. FOX / DON AMECHE / SALLY FIELD
10. (Monty Python’s Life Of Brian) What does Romani Ite Domum mean? [three bonus points for stating what Romanes Eunt Domus means]
ROMANS GO HOME [People called Romanes, they go, the house]
11. How many characters appear in all three instalments of The Matrix? (bonus points for each character named)
FIVE [Neo, Morpheus, Trinity, Agent Smith, The Oracle]
12. Which two films are the only remakes to win the Oscar for Best Picture? (one point per correct answer)
BEN HUR / THE DEPARTED
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. According to Rose’s speech in Titanic, how many passengers were saved from the water? Six? Twelve? Eighteen?
2. Which Lauren Bacall film features the quote, “Most women use more brains picking a horse in the third at Belmont than they do a husband”? How To Marry A Millionaire? Key Largo? The Gift Of Love?
HOW TO MARRY A MILLIONAIRE
3. Thousands of props were built for Kingdom Of Heaven. One thousand two hundred of which of the following were made? Shields? Crossbows? Flags?
4. Who directed Arsenic And Old Lace? Alfred Hitchcock? Frank Capra? John Huston?
5. Which silent Russian film featured the infamous pram/staircase scene that was most notably duplicated in The Untouchables? Strike? Battleship Potemkin? October? [bonus point for naming the director of all three]
BATTLESHIP POTEMKIN [Sergei M. Eisenstein]
6. During the prologue to 1953’s War Of The Worlds one of our solar system’s planets is neither shown or mentioned. Which one? Mercury? Venus? Earth?
7. Which of the following Audrey Hepburn films is not directly referenced in When It Sizzles In Paris? My Fair Lady? Sabrina? Breakfast At Tiffany’s?
8. Which fruit indicates a death-related event in The Godfather? Apple? Orange? Peach?
9. Akira opens a nuclear explosion on 16-Jul-88. What is the significance of this date? Katsuhiro Otomo’s birthday? Anniversary of Hiroshima bombing? Akira’s release date?
AKIRA’S RELEASE DATE
10. Build My Gallows High was the UK release title for which forties Film Noir picture? The Guilty? Detour? Out Of The Past?
OUT OF THE PAST
11. Which of Jean-Pierre Jeunet’s films was written by someone other than the director? Alien Resurrection? Amelie? Micmacs?
12. Zach Braff features in every single scene of Garden State. True or False?
[10 October 2010]
The Sherbet Fountain: Search For The Everlasting Gob Stopper
Genre – Delicious drama
Genre – A harrowing drama about steak & kidney and chaos theory
Apple Of My Pi
Genre – A yummy mathematical love affair
Back To The Future IV: Revenge Of The Libyans!
Genre – Flesh-eating romantic horrody about Arabs – set in the future and the past
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Which Bond film features the song, Live And Let Die?
LIVE AND LET DIE
2. Over how many days does Training Day take place?
3. How many Jurassic Park films have been made to date?
4. What is the subtitle of the second Lord Of The Rings film?
THE TWO TOWERS
5. Who directed 1979’s Alien?
6. What three things were the Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion going to ask the Wizard Of Oz for? (one point per correct answer)
BRAIN / HEART / COURAGE
7. What was the name of the robot in Short Circuit? [bonus point for stating the release year]
NUMBER FIVE / JOHNNY FIVE 
8. Which actor portrays Lt. Aldo Raine, leader of the Inglourious Basterds?
9. Indiana Jones is a professor of what subject?
10. Munich depicts the Israeli government’s retaliation following the assassinations at which sporting event?
11. What kind of flesh-eating beetle is featured in The Mummy?
12. What is the name of the nurse that tyrannises the ward in One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest?
NURSE MILDRED RATCHED
ROUND II: Filming [Jake/Maggie Gyllenhaal Special]
1. Which mathematical symbol is the name of Aronofsky’s first film? (bonus point for writing/drawing the symbol itself)
2. What is the name of the wrestler that Randy fights in the movie’s final scene?
3. What three names are given to Hugh Jackman’s character in The Fountain? (one point per correct answer)
TOMAS / TOMMY / TOM
4. Most films contain 600-700 cuts, how many are used in Requiem For A Dream? (point to the closest answer)
5. “Death is the road to awe” is a quote from which Aronofsky film?
6. What two things did Aronofsky ask Jared Leto and Marlon Wayans to avoid for 30 days, to truly understand overwhelming craving? (one point per correct answer)
SUGAR / SEX
7. What is the name of the song that Cassidy and Randy sing in the bar before bemoaning Kurt Cobain and the 90’s in The Wrestler?
ROUND AND ROUND (by Ratt)
8. What is the name of Sol Robeson’s computer in Pi?
9. Which is the only film Aronofsky released in which he does not receive a screenplay credit?
10. What is the name of the nebula that Hugh Jackman’s character is travelling to in The Fountain? (three bonus points for correct spelling)
11. Who cameo’d as the photographer that Max pursues in the subway in Pi?
CLINT MANSELL (composer on all Darren Aronofsky films)
12. The extras playing audience members of Tappy Tibbon’s game show (in Requiem For A Dream) gave Christopher McDonald an extended standing ovation for his almost completely improvised performance. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What was John Wayne’s real name?
MARION ROBERT MORRISON
2. Due to timing constraints, Sean Connery was only available for a limited period to film his role in Highlander. How long was it?
3. What is the name of the limo driver in Die Hard?
4. What did Frank Morris (played by Clint Eastwood) use to escape from Alcatraz in the film of the same name? (one point for close answer, two for exact)
SPOON AND BLADE FROM NAIL CLIPPER
5. What was the name of the airline company that Martin Sheen’s character owns in Wall Street?
6. Five Jim Carrey films have spawned sequels/prequels but he has only starred in one. Name it.
ACE VENTURA (the other four are The Mask, Dumb & Dumber, Batman Forever, Bruce Almighty)
7. What is the name of the Admiral of the rebel fleet in Return Of The Jedi?
8. Which film prompted Jimi Hendrix’s estate to ban the use of Hendrix songs in movies which promote alcohol or drug abuse?
WITHNAIL AND I
9. Whilst filming for Bridge To Terabithia, it was discovered that a particular woodland creature does not exist in New Zealand and so they had to be digitally added. What was the animal in question?
10. Both Simon Pegg and Nick Frost became very attached to their shotguns whilst filming Hot Fuzz. What did they name them? (one point per correct answer) [bonus point for stating how many individuals contributed to Danny Butterman’s DVD collection]
SARAH / EMMA [3 – Edgar Wright, Oscar Wright and Joe Cornish … which is pitiful because it’s only 2/3 the size of my collection]
11. What date does Marty McFly travel back to in Back To The Future? (one point for date, one for month, one for year)
5 NOVEMBER 1955
12. What are the names of the five families in The Godfather? (one point per correct answer)
CORLEONE / BARZINI / TATTAGLIA / STRACCI / CUNEO
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which actor said, “I have the face of an aging choirboy and the build of an undernourished featherweight. If you can figure out my success on the screen you’re a better man than I”? Gary Cooper? Jimmy Stewart? Alan Ladd?
2. Which instrument does Phil Connors learn to play in Groundhog Day? Piano? Saxophone? Guitar?
3. The Third Man is based on the novel by which author? Frederick Forsyth? Raymond Chandler? Graham Greene?
4. Which of the following is not one of the mouse-pack in Disney’s Cinderella? Jacques? Renee? Gus?
5. What was the first Walt Disney movie rated 12/PG-13? Pirates Of The Caribbean? Prince Of Persia? The Chronicles Of Narnia: Prince Caspian?
PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN: THE CURSE OF THE BLACK PEARL
6. What was the name of Gregory Peck’s character in 1950 release, The Gunfighter? Hunt Bromley? Mark Strett? Jimmy Ringo?
7. Which of the Dirty Dozen cast did not serve in World War II? Lee Marvin? Donald Sutherland? Ernest Borgnine?
DONALD SUTHERLAND (Marvin was in the marines and Borgnine was in the navy)
8. What is the subtitle of the fifth Star Trek film? The Final Frontier? The Voyage Home? Insurrection?
THE FINAL FRONTIER
9. What is the name of the white luckdragon in The NeverEnding Story? Falkor? Atreyu? Artax?
10. Which actor played Rocky’s trainer, Mickey Goldmill? Carl Weathers? Bergess Meredith? Burt Young?
11. Which of the following adaptations follows the original novel virtually word-for-word and scene-for-scene? The Maltese Falcon? The Big Sleep? The Glass Key?
THE MALTESE FALCON
12. James Cagney broke his rib whilst filming a dance routine for Yankee Doodle Dandy but finished the scene anyway. True or False?