[12 September 2010]
The Bridges Of Stockport County
Genre – Football drama thing
Metropolis II: Electric Boogaloo
Genre – Harrowing musical expressionist sequel
The Big Lebowowski
Genre – Incontinent Dog Comedy
Maybe This Round Is A Jeff Bridges Too Far?
Genre – Quiz comedy
CCFC (Cinema City Film Club)
Genre – Farcical Comedy
Offer Fox Ache
Genre – Unclassifiable
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What does E.T. stand for?
2. What pet name does Gollum give the one ring in Lord Of The Rings?
3. What is the name of the young girl who follows the yellow brick road to meet the wizard of Oz?
4. Which Terminator film featured the line, “Hasta la vista, baby”?
TERMINATOR II: JUDGEMENT DAY
5. Which film featured the quote, “You’re gonna need a bigger boat”?
6. Which instalment of The Godfather is the only one to feature Robert De Niro?
THE GODFATHER: PART II
7. Which 1941 release is considered Orson Welles’ masterpiece and one of the greatest films ever made?
8. What is the name of the detective hunting the serial killer Scorpio in Don Siegel’s 1971 crime drama?
DIRTY HARRY CALLAHAN
9. Who played the title character in the 1996 adaptation of The Island Of Dr. Moreau?
10. What is the name of the planet on which Yoda trains Luke in The Empire Strikes Back?
11. What type of Italian wine did Hannibal Lector drink while consuming a census taker’s liver?
12. The title card for The Maltese Falcon explains the jewel encrusted statue was a tribute from the Knights Templar of Malta to which country? Spain? France? Italy?
ROUND II: Filming [Jeff Bridges Special]
1. What is the name of the planet that Prot claims to be from in K-PAX?
2. Which movie starred both Jeff Bridges and Robin Williams?
THE FISHER KING
3. What is the name of Jeff Bridges’ character in Iron Man?
4. What is Jackson Evans’ (Bridges’ character) job in The Contender?
PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES
5. What colour bikes/light cycles do Tron, Ram and Flynn use? (one point per correct answer) [bonus point for stating Flynn’s call-sign]
ORANGE / RED / YELLOW [Gold 3]
6. Jeff Bridges starred in which 1982 animated film?
THE LAST UNICORN
7. In what year was the King Kong remake (starring Jeff Bridges) released?
8. Which movie stars Jeff Bridges as a heroin addict, who spends the majority of his time on-screen as a corpse?
9. Before Bridges won his Oscar for Crazy Heart, he was nominated for performances in four movies. Name them. (one point per correct answer)
THE LAST PICTURE SHOW / THUNDERBOLT AND LIGHTFOOT / STARMAN / THE CONTENDER
10. Who directed The Mirror Has Two Faces?
11. What was the budget for Arlington Road?
21.5 MILLION DOLLARS
12. The bowling alley featured in The Big Lebowski (Holly Star Lanes) was torn down and replaced with a primary school. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Which composer agreed to work on The Frighteners before knowing what the film was even about, based solely on Peter Jackson’s previous work?
2. Name the lead female character in each instalment of the Indiana Jones trilogy. (point per first/surname)
MARION RAVENWOOD / WILHELMINA ‘WILLIE’ SCOTT / ELSA SCHNEIDER
3. What friendly greeting does James Cagney’s character use in Angels With Dirty Faces?
WHADDYA HEAR, WHADDYA SAY?
4. How old was Laurence Fishburne when production for Apocalypse Now began?
5. Which 1993 Burt Reynolds film tells the story of a young boy who witnesses a murder but will only reveal information when made an official policeman?
COP AND A HALF
6. Which British public body – formed in 2000, designed to promote the UK film industry – was recently disbanded?
UK FILM COUNCIL
7. Which actor starred in The Invisible Man (1933), Casablanca and Lawrence Of Arabia?
8. What is the exact wording of Charlton Heston’s quote during his capture on Planet Of The Apes, in which he politely asks the apes to remove their hands from him? (one point for close answer, two points for exact answer)
TAKE YOUR STINKING PAWS OFF ME, YOU DAMNED DIRTY APE
9. Who played the lead in Teen Wolf and Teen Wolf 2? (one point per correct answer)
MICHAEL J FOX / JASON BATEMAN
10. Which film features the poster tagline, ‘You can erase someone from your mind, getting them out of your heart is another story’?
ETERNAL SUNSHINE OF THE SPOTLESS MIND
11. When defending the film Showgirls, Paul Verhoeven explained it was technically a remake of which 1950’s movie?
ALL ABOUT EVE
12. What is Luke’s prison number in Cool Hand Luke? [bonus point for stating what it refers to]
THIRTY SEVEN [Bible reference, Luke 1:37 ‘For with God nothing shall be impossible’]
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the following actresses did not star in Blade Runner? Sean Young? Joanna Cassidy? Barbara Hershey?
2. Eye Of The Tiger was written for which Rocky film? Rocky? Rocky II? Rocky III?
3. Which actress played the roll of Lila in Psycho? Janet Leigh? Vera Miles? Eva Marie Saint?
4. Released in 1921, which of the following was considered the first anti-war film? The Four Horsemen Of The Apocalypse? Now Or Never? The Fightin’ Fury?
THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALPYSE
5. What song is playing when Dr. Gonzo attempts suicide in the bath, in Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas? White Rabbit? Viva Las Vegas? One Toke Over The Line?
6. What is the name of the country that Rufus T. Firefly is named president of in Duck Soup? Sylvania? Freedonia? Lupaynia?
7. What is the origin of the lead character’s name in The Fountain? David Bowie song? The Who film Tommy? Turn of the century nickname for a British soldier?
DAVID BOWIE SONG (Space Oddity – Major Tom)
8. How does Doyle Lonnegan finish the majority of his sentences in The Sting? You get me? You follow? You understand?
9. What is the name of the American submarine chasing the Russians in The Hunt For Red October? Annapolis? Sargo? Dallas?
10. During a fight scene between Alan Ladd and Van Heflin in Shane, the horses in the corral were meant to be startled. What did the director do to achieve this? Release snakes onto the set? Paraded mares around behind the camera? Dressed two men up in bear suits?
11. What is the name of the lead character, played by Orlando Bloom, in Kingdom Of Heaven? Guy de Lusignan? Raynald de Châtillon? Balian Of Ibelin?
BALIAN OF IBELIN
12. In Fight Club, the scene in which Brad Pitt and Ed Norton’s characters are drunk and hitting golf balls became an incredibly expensive shot when filming was moved to an elaborate sound stage with a CGI backdrop, for insurance purposes. True or False?
FALSE (they were actually drunk, hitting golf balls into the side of the catering truck)