[26 September 2010]
Genre – The two Ronnies remake Donnie Darko with sexy results
Genre – Tale of love between cowboys (Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal) that transcends time
The Day After Tamara
Genre – Post apocalyptic literary rom-com
The Artist Formerly Known As Prince Of Persia
Genre – Harrowing drama about purple swords and sandles
The Travelling Bohemian, The Goddess, The Nerd From Friends And The Psychological Warfare Sheep
Genre – Mockumentary
The Counts Of Monte Quizto
Genre – Swashbuckling tale of vengeance and tailoring
She Got Spanked, He Got … By A Cowboy
Genre – Unclassifiable
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of Butch Cassidy’s partner in Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid?
THE SUNDANCE KID
2. Dr. Zhivago is mainly set in which country?
3. Which actor played the lead role in Danny Boyle’s The Beach?
LEONARDO DI CAPRIO
4. Is the detective in The Big Sleep named Philip Marlowe or Sam Spade?
5. What is the name of the prison in The Green Mile? Cold Mountain Penitentiary? Shawshank State Penitentiary? Alcatraz?
COLD MOUNTAIN PENITENTIARY
6. Who directed Face/Off?
7. Which song writing duo wrote the soundtrack for The Graduate?
SIMON AND GARFUNKEL
8. The Colour Of Money is a sequel to which film?
9. What was the name of the Aerosmith song composed for Armageddon?
I DON’T WANT TO MISS A THING
10. Which two actors portrayed Truman Capote in 2005’s Capote and 2006’s Infamous? (one point per correct answer)
PHILIP SEYMOUR HOFFMAN / TOBY JONES
11. What are the prisoners of war expected to take part in, in The Deer Hunter?
12. What is Commander Taggart’s catchphrase in Galaxy Quest?
NEVER GIVE UP, NEVER SURRENDER
ROUND II: Filming [Jake/Maggie Gyllenhaal Special]
1. How are Jake and Maggie Gyllenhaal related? [bonus point for correctly spelling Gyllenhaal]
2. World Trade Centre is based on which terrorist attack?
SEPTEMBER 11TH ATTACKS
3. Which Jake Gyllenhaal release is a remake of The Boy In The Plastic Bubble, about a boy born without an immune system? [bonus point for naming the star of the original]
BUBBLE BOY [John Travolta]
4. What object releases the sands of time in Prince Of Persia?
5. Both Jake Gyllenhaal and Heath Ledger were nominated for their roles in Brokeback Mountain. Which one received the best actor in a leading role nomination?
6. Where does Ana Pascal work in Stranger Than Fiction?
7. Tobey Maguire auditioned for the role of Swofford, in Jarhead, before it went to Jake Gyllenhaal. Which recent film starred both actors?
8. Which actress did Maggie Gyllenhaal replace when she took the role of Rachel Dawes in The Dark Knight?
9. How long does Lee [Maggie Gyllenhaal] wait in the office for Mr. Grey [James Spader] to return in Secretary?
10. In Donnie Darko, Gretchen and Donnie go and see which 80’s horror film?
THE EVIL DEAD
11. What painting do the Wellesley girls paint for their teacher to remember them by, in Mona Lisa Smile?
SUNFLOWERS (Vincent Van Gogh)
12. The US Army loaned several UH-60 Blackhawk helicopters for the final rescue scene in The Day After Tomorrow. This prompted Mexican authorities to reassure the public that they weren’t being invaded by the United States. True or False?
FALSE (it was actually the Canadians reassuring the people of Montreal)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What is the name of the conditional treatment used on Alex in A Clockwork Orange?
2. Which 1920 German film is considered by most to be the first true horror film ever made?
THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI (Das Cabinet Des Dr. Caligari)
3. What is the name of the bank that Juan Miranda is trying to rob at the start of A Fistful Of Dynamite? [bonus point for identifying the original title]
THE MESA VERDE NATIONAL BANK [Duck, You Sucker]
4. Which film noir release directed by Nicholas Ray featured the tagline, “The Bogart suspense picture with the surprise finish”?
IN A LONELY PLACE
5. Excluding silent movies, how many major adaptations of The Count Monte Cristo have been produced?
FIVE (1934 / 1940 / 1946 / 1975 / 2002)
6. La Vita è Bella is the original title of which film?
LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL
7. What was the name given to the custard firing weapons in Bugsy Malone?
8. During the motorcycle chase sequence in The Great Escape, one of the cast members was allowed to disguise himself as a Nazi and pursue Steve McQueen. Which one was it?
9. Which ghosts are released from the slime during the court scene in Ghostbusters II?
THE SCOLERI BROTHERS
10. Billy and Wyatt set out from Los Angeles to find ‘America’ in Easy Rider. Which city are they heading to?
11. What are named James Westfall and Dr. Kenneth Noisewater in Anchorman? [bonus point for naming Ron’s dog]
BRIAN FANTANA’S TESTES [Baxter]
12. How did Orson Welles conceal the microphones despite the many low-angle shots, in Citizen Kane?
CLOTH CEILINGS, CONCEALING MICS
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. American Psycho is based on the book by which author? Philip Roth? Bret Easton Ellis? Graham Greene?
BRET EASTON ELLIS
2. How do Clyde Barrow and Bonnie Parker meet in Bonnie And Clyde? Clyde refuels Bonnie’s mother’s car? Bonnie hits Clyde with her mother’s car? Bonnie catches Clyde trying to steal her mother’s car?
BONNIE CATCHES CLYDE TRYING TO STEAL HER MOTHER’S CAR
3. According to posters and trailers, how long was the bank robbery in Dog Day Afternoon supposed to take? 4 Minutes? 7 Minutes? 10 Minutes?
TEN MINUTES (The robbery should have taken 10 mins. 4hrs later the bank was like a circus sideshow. 8hrs later it was the hottest thing on live TV. 12hrs later it was all history. And it’s all true)
4. Which of the following is not a typical trademark of director Jean Pierre Jeunet? Orphans? Dominique Pinon? Long corridors?
5. In The Craft, the girls call upon the guardians of the watchtowers of the four compass directions. Which one does Sarah Bailey call upon? North? South? East?
6. What are the citizens of Antonio Bay preparing to celebrate when people go missing in The Fog? Town’s Centennial? Thanksgiving? US Bi-Centennial?
7. The laser pointer in Bourne’s hip in The Bourne Identity directs him to a bank in which country? Germany? Italy? Switzerland?
8. Which Paul Newman film features the quote, “I don’t rattle, kid. But just for that I’m gonna beat you flat”? The Hustler? Hombre? Nobody’s Fool?
9. Which member of the rat pack starred in Rio Bravo? Dean Martin? Frank Sinatra? Joey Bishop?
10. Who did not star in 2006’s Bobby? Laurence Fishburne? Ashton Kutcher? Charlie Sheen?
11. Why is Jim Stark brought into the police station at the start of Rebel Without A Cause? Public drunkenness? Petty larceny? Minor aggravated assault?
12. Barry Lyndon was filmed with the intent of replicating certain eighteenth century paintings; specifically the works of Thomas Gainsborough. True or False?