[15 August 2010]
The Flippin’ Expendables (starring Dolphin Lundgren)
Genre – Aquatic-mammal action thriller that will make you blubber
The Flipper And The Rose
Genre – Charming inter-species musical romance
Flipper 2: Stop Staring At My Blow Hole
Genre – Horror/Pornography
Ripper Skipper, Flipper Dipper!
Genre – After a horrific crimewave is linked to the loveable dolphin, he’s made into a delicious food-stuff
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Which planet do the aliens in Mars Attacks come from?
2. What are the names of the two Back To The Future sequels (one point per correct answer)
BACK TO THE FUTURE PART II / BACK TO THE FUTURE PART III
3. Who plays Elizabeth II in The Queen?
4. Which two actors play J and K in Men In Black? (one point per correct answer)
WILL SMITH / TOMMY LEE JONES
5. In what decade is Raiders Of The Lost Ark set? 30s? 40s? 50s? [bonus point for naming the exact year]
6. What was the Oscar winning song performed by Bill Medley and Jennifer Warnes for Dirty Dancing?
(I’VE HAD) THE TIME OF MY LIFE
7. Which actor played Max Rockatansky in the Mad Max trilogy? [bonus points for naming the actor set to portray him in the remake]
MEL GIBSON [Tom Hardy]
8. What is the name of the volleyball that Tom Hanks ‘befriends’ in Cast Away?
9. What does Evan use to access (the majority of) his past memories in The Butterfly Effect?
10. Which latin country is Carlito Brigante from, in Carlito’s Way? Cuba? Venezuela? Puerto Rico?
11. Which Bruce Lee film was released in 1973?
ENTER THE DRAGON
12. What was the name of Edward G. Robinson’s character in Little Caesar?
ROUND II: Filming [Flipper Special]
1. What type of animal is Flipper?
2. What is the name of the lead character played by Elijah Wood?
3. Who plays the sheriff of Coral Key?
4. What is the name of the amusement park that Sandy starts up? [bonus point for stating the admission cost]
THE FLIPPER SHOW [one fish]
5. What is the name of the hammerhead shark that terrorises the area?
6. What does Sandy kick into the water when he first meets Flipper (for purposes of bonding and educating the public that dolphins can perform tricks)?
7. Porter keeps a pet bird name Pete, what type of bird is he?
8. How is Sandy punished by his uncle when he finds out he didn’t do his chores?
UNCLE FORCES HIM TO SMOKE CIGARS UNTIL HE’S SICK
9. In what year was the original Flipper film released?
10. Despite animatronics being used, how many real dolphins were hired to play Flipper? [2 bonus points for each dolphin named]
THREE [Fatman / Jake / McGuyver]
11. The current BBFC advice states “contains moderate threat and mild language.” What two words did ‘moderate threat’ replace on the initial VHS release in 1997?
12. Elijah Wood was scripted to have his first on-screen kiss in this film but due to how badly it turned out, they cut it from the film. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What are the names of the four ghostbusters? [one point per first/surname]
PETER VENKMAN / RAYMOND STANTZ / EGON SPENGLER / WINSTON ZEDDMORE
2. At Bela Lugosi’s funeral, what did Peter Lorre famously say to Vincent Price after viewing the body?
DO YOU THINK WE SHOULD DRIVE A STAKE THROUGH HIS HEART, JUST IN CASE?
3. Tom Hanks won two consecutive Best Actor Oscars for which two films? (one point per correct answer)
PHILADELPHIA / FORREST GUMP
4. How many times is the word Beatles used in A Hard Day’s Night?
5. What was the name of Eric’s band in The Crow?
6. What is the chronological order of Sergio Leone’s Dollar Trilogy?
THE GOOD THE BAD & THE UGLY (1860s) / FOR A FEW DOLLARS MORE (1880s) / FISTFUL OF DOLLARS (1890s)
7. What is the name of Quint’s fishing boat in Jaws?
8. The shining eyes effect in Blade Runner is a technique called ‘shifting process’ developed by which German director?
9. What is the name of the cologne/aftershave that Brian Fantana uses in Anchorman?
10. Who voices the parts of the three anthropomorphic books in The Pagemaster (Adventure, Fantasy, Horror)? (one point per correct answer)
PATRICK STEWART / WHOOPI GOLDBERG / FRANK WELKER
11. What is the name of Sid’s dog in Toy Story?
12. Which magazine does Larry Flynt launch in The People Vs. Larry Flynt? [bonus point for naming the actor who played the title role]
HUSTLER [Woody Harrelson]
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. In which African country is The Constant Gardner set? Somalia? Uganda? Kenya?
2. The mask in the film of the same name is possessed by which Norse god? Thor? Loki? Odin?
3. Who directed The Italian Job (don’t even begin to suggest I may be talking about the sequel)? Guy Hamilton? John Sturges? Peter Collinson?
4. Martin Lawrence and which other actor play two New Yorkers wrongfully arrested and imprisoned in Mississippi, in the film Life? Eddie Murphy? Will Smith? Bernie Mac?
5. What is the name of the school that features in Alexander Payne’s 1999 comedy, Election? G.W. Carver High? D. Mantooth High? E.A. Blair High?
6. City Of God was nominated for four Academy Awards. How many did it win? 0? 2? 4?
7. In which Irish county is the title character shot and killed in Michael Collins? Meath? Cork? Galway?
8. Raymond Chandler was forced to re-write the end of The Blue Dahlia after which military body intervened and complained that one of their own being the killer was simply out of the question? Navy? Army? Air Force?
9. How much weight did Tom Hardy gain in five weeks for his role in Bronson? 1 Stone? 2 Stone? 3 Stone?
10. Which of the following was not one of the poster taglines for Audrey Hepburn film, When It Sizzles In Paris? Relax, it’s all right to laugh at this tender love story? Romance is romantic with Holden and Hepburn? Go absolutely ape in Paris when it sizzles?
ROMANCE IS ROMANTIC WITH HOLDEN AND HEPBURN
11. When describing Cool Hand Luke, Dragline says he ‘grins like a baby but bites like a’ what? Wolf? Tiger? Gator?
12. The actor who plays ‘the train man’ in The Matrix: Revolutions is also the actor who played ‘the train man’ in Ghost. True or False.
FALSE [Bruce Spence / Vincent Schiavelli]