[29 August 2010]
A Load Of Old Bullocks
Genre – Harrowing OAP documentary with all parts played by Sandra Bullock
Miss Congealed Hilarity
Genre – Cooking Rom Com
Three Men And A Zombie.. Baby!
Genre – Horror
Genre – Tom Six directed sequel to The Human Centipede
Speed 3: Tom Cruise Control
Genre – Irrepresible screwball comedy starring Katie Holmes
Genre – Sly, Dolph and Arnie join forces to fight some rancid cottage cheese
Speed 3 – Segway Suicide
Genre – Two-wheeled tragedy
The Pale Riders
Genre – Vampire Western
The Three Amigos Plus One
Genre – Comedy
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. According to an interview with Richard Curtis, what is Love, Actually about?
2. Which of the following is not a Pixar film? Monsters Inc? Finding Nemo? Bolt?
3. Curtis Hanson’s 8 Mile features which rapper in the lead role?
EMINEM (Marshall Mathers)
4. Which film got its title from the Lao-Tzu quote, “Heaven and Earth are not humane and regard the people as straw dogs”?
5. Which movie tells the story of military radio broadcaster, Adrian Cronauer?
GOOD MORNING, VIETNAM
6. What is Vinny Gambini’s (played by Joe Pesci) profession in My Cousin Vinny?
7. From Hell focuses on the actions of which serial killer?
JACK THE RIPPER
8. The Thing is technically a remake of which film?
THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD
9. Before Harvey was adapted to film in 1950, what was it originally? Book? Play? Radio Broadcast?
10. Mississippi Burning focuses on which right-wing white supremacists group?
KU KLUX KLAN
11. In what year did James Cagney star in The Public Enemy?
12. What was Robert Duvall’s movie debut?
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD
ROUND II: Filming [Sandra Bullock Special]
1. Sandra Bullock was trapped on a bus with a bomb in which 1994 release?
2. Who starred opposite Sandra in Forces Of Nature?
3. 1996’s A Time To Kill is based on the novel by which author?
4. Which addiction is Gwen battling in rehab in 28 Days?
5. How many years passed between the release of Ms. Congeniality and the sequel, Armed & Fabulous?
6. In which film does Sandra play Linda Hanson, a woman living the week of her husband’s death in non-chronological order?
7. Which Callaghan brother is in a coma in While You Were Sleeping; Jack or Peter?
8. Which film afforded Sandra her only Oscar?
THE BLIND SIDE
9. Which Jane Austen novel does Kate lose at the train station in The Lake House?
10. Which two actresses play Aunt Frances and Aunt Bridget in Practical Magic? [one point per correct answer]
STOCKARD CHANNING / DIANE WIEST
11. Sandra’s character in Demolition Man (Lenina Huxley) is a reference to one of the lead characters and the author of which novel?
BRAVE NEW WORLD
12. Despite critical acclaim for her role in Crash, Sandra appears for just over ten minutes. True or False?
FALSE (it was actually under six)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. How many times is the word Fuck (and its various derivatives) said throughout In Bruges?
2. What are the names of the lead villains in the Mad Max trilogy? (the leader of Nightrider Gang, Hockey mask dude and Tina Turner) [one point per correct answer]
TOECUTTER / LORD HUMUNGUS / AUNTY ENTITY
3. Which famous Swedish actor portrayed the voice of Vigo The Carpathian in Ghostbusters II?
MAX VON SYDOW
4. What was the name of Spencer Tracy’s last film?
GUESS WHO’S COMING TO DINNER
5. Released in the US as Rory O’Shea Was Here, what was the original title of this 2004 comedy starring James McAvoy?
INSIDE I’M DANCING
6. What is the name of the gang that Cyrus leads in The Warrirors?
THE GRAMERCY RIFFS
7. What names are used to identify the man with no name in Leone’s Dollar Trilogy? (one point per correct answer)
JOE / MONCO / BLONDIE
8. One line of dialogue explains how many drummers have inexplicably died while playing for Spinal Tap. What is the figure?
THIRTY TWO (37 members in total: Nigel, David, keyboard player, original bassist, Derek and thirty two drummers)
9. Who sang the theme tune for Big Trouble In Little China?
10. How old was Orson Welles when he wrote, directed and starred in Citizen Kane?
11. Who played title roles in Sam Peckinpah’s 1973 film, Pat Garrett And Billy The Kid? [one point per correct answer]
JAMES COBURN / KRIS KRISTOFFERSON
12. How did the Swedish version of Night Of The Hunter spoil the film?
TRANSLATED TITLE INFORMED AUDIENCES OF THE TWIST (where the money was hidden)
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Who directed 1922’s Nosferatu? Fritz Lang? F.W. Murnau? Ernst Lubitsch?
2. Immortal Beloved is based on the life of which composer? Mozart? Vivaldi? Beethoven? [bonus point for naming the actor who played the lead]
BEETHOVEN [Gary Oldman]
3. Which film afforded Denzel Washington his first academy award? Training Day? Glory? Malcolm X?
4. What is the image on Bill ‘The Butcher’ Cutting’s false eye in Gangs Of New York? [bonus point for stating which eye is false]
5. In the film Ransom, how much does Mel Gibson’s character offer on live television to anyone who captures his son’s kidnappers? 1 Million? 2 Million? 3 Million?
TWO MILLION DOLLARS
6. In the original script, the baby in Labyrinth was named Freddie, why was it changed? Didn’t sound American enough? The baby only responded to his real name? Named after the director’s newborn son?
THE BABY ONLY RESPONDED TO HIS REAL NAME
7. Which of the following films has Stan Lee not made a cameo appearance? Daredevil? The Incredible Hulk? X-Men 2?
8. So concerned with the food in Budapest, which director avoided dysentery by consuming only bottled water and canned food? Woody Allen? Stephen Spielberg? Martin Scorsese? [bonus point for naming the film in question]
WOODY ALLEN [Love And Death]
9. How long did it take to film Apocalypse Now? 16 months? 19 months? 23 months?
10. Although the Withnail & I lighter fluid scene was rehearsed with water, director Robinson achieved the desired facial reaction by filling the container with what? Vinegar? Vodka? Salt-Water?
11. How many blank rounds were fired during the production of The Wild Bunch? 40,000? 70,000? 90,000?
NINETY THOUSAND (more than the actual amount of bullets discharged during the Mexican Revolution – around which the film is loosely based)
12. During filming of Enter The Dragon, Bruce Lee hit Jackie Chan in the face with a stick and profusely apologised, offering him a part in every future film he made. Unfortunately, he died before he was able to keep his promise. True or False?