[18 July 2010]
North By South Central
Genre – Psychological hip hop musical
The Team Who Knew Too Little
Genre – Spellbinding psychotic quiz horror
Wake Me Up Before You Vertigo-go
Genre – Harrowing thriller starring Andrew Ridgley with a broken leg
Genre – Hitchcock’s lesser-known time travelling remake of Fight Club
(Motherfuckin’) Strangers On A Plane
Genre – Provincial realism
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Which Disney film is based on the Chinese legend The Ballad Of Mulan?
2. The opening shots of Double Indemnity show a silhouetted man on crutches stumbling toward the screen. Which part of his body was bound in a cast?
3. Which film was Richard Dreyfuss talking about when he said, “We started this film without a script, without a cast and without a shark”?
4. Which film featured the poster tagline, “You’ll Believe A Man Can Fly”?
SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE
5. Name the directors of Burn After Reading, O, Brother Where Art Thou? and The Big Lebowski.
JOEL COEN / ETHAN COEN
6. Braveheart portrays the life of which Scottish warrior?
7. Which Python film features the Upper Class Twit Of The Year sketch?
AND NOW FOR SOMETHING COMPLETELY DIFFERENT
8. Which Steven Spielberg film is set on the tropical island Isla Nublar?
9. In Don Bluth’s 1997 animated film Anastasia, who provides the voice for Rasputin?
10. How many times has Harrison Ford portrayed the President Of The United States? [bonus points for naming the film/s]
ONCE [Air Force One]
11. Which of the Rocky sequels was the most critically well received?
12. How does T.E. Lawrence die at the start of Lawrence Of Arabia?
ROUND II: Filming [Alfred Hitchcock Special]
1. What is Norman Bates’ hobby in Psycho?
2. Marnie stars Tippi Hedren and which James Bond actor?
3. What is the name of Cary Grant’s character in North By Northwest? (one point per name) [bonus point for stating which side of the screen Grant’s character is on for the majority of the movie]
ROGER O THORNHILL (although the O doesn’t stand for anything) [left]
4. Which beverage is Lina afraid to drink for fear it has been been poisoned in Suspicion? [bonus point for stating how Hitchcock was able to make the glass glow]
MILK [light bulb concealed in the glass]
5. What is the name of the missing lady in The Lady Vanishes?
6. Other than Hitchcock’s daughter, which two actresses appear the most in Hitchcock films? (one point per correct answer)
INGRID BERGMAN / GRACE KELLY (3 films each)
7. What breed/type of bird is the first to attack in The Birds?
SEAGULL (attacks Melanie in a boat as she heads back to Mitch)
8. Which Hitchcock film, focusing heavily on psychoanalysis, featured surreal dream sequences conceived by Salvador Dali?
9. Which film did Hitchcock claim to be his favourite?
SHADOW OF A DOUBT
10. Which Hitchcock film featured one scene with twelve minutes of music, no dialogue and 124 different shots?
THE MAN WHO KNEW TOO MUCH
11. Of his many cameos, how does Hitchcock turn up in Rope?
RED NEON SIGN VIEWABLE FROM THE APARTMENT WINDOW
12. Psycho was the first Hollywood film in history to show a close-up of a toilet. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Which three actors played the role of Number Two in the Austin Powers series? (one point per correct answer)
ROBERT WAGNER / ROB LOWE / EVAN FARMER
2. When Johnny, leader of the Black Rebel Motorcycle Club in The Wild One, is asked what he’s rebelling against, what is his response? (bonus point for naming the actor who plays Johnny)
WHAT HAVE YOU GOT?
3. What is the name of Indiana Jones’ secretary?
4. What is the name of the school dance that George McFly and Lorraine Baines attend in Back To The Future?
ENCHANTMENT UNDER THE SEA
5. What is the name of Clint Eastwood’s character in Pale Rider?
6. What is Andy Dufresne’s prison number in The Shawshank Redemption? 18201? 37927? 68754?
7. What are the names of Billy’s parents in Kramer Vs. Kramer? (one point per correct answer)
TED / JOANNA
8. Which two actors from the movie Tombstone have also played Elvis? (one point per correct answer)
KURT RUSSELL (John Carpenter 1979 TV film and Forrest Gump) / VAL KILMER (True Romance)
9. Which seven actors play The Magnificent Seven? (one point per correct answer)
YUL BRYNNER / STEVE MCQUEEN / CHARLES BRONSON / ROBERT VAUGHN / BRAD DEXTER / JAMES COBURN / HORST BUCHHOLZ
10. Who is Thell Reed – more specifically, what is his job?
HOLLYWOOD GUN COACH / ARMOURER
11. What are the names of the four main superheroes that feature in Kick Ass? [one point per correct answer]
KICK ASS / HIT GIRL / BIG DADDY / RED MIST
12. What are the first lines spoken in each Matrix film? (two points per correct answer)
YEAH (as spoken by Cypher following phone ringing) / SEE YOU TOMORROW (spoken by Power Station Guard) / I GOT NOTHING, SIR (spoken by AK – goes on to say ‘No sign of Niobe or Ghost, nothing but blue pills’)
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the following films does not have a teacher as one of the lead roles? Butch Cassidy And The Sundance Kid? Angel Heart? Good Will Hunting?
2. Who directed The Night Of The Iguana? Terrence Young? John Huston? Stanley Kramer?
3. In what year was Belle De Jour first released? 1963? 1965? 1967?
4. Which of the following did not star in 1938’s Jezebel? Henry Fonda? John Carradine? Bette Davis?
5. The poster for The Man With Two Brains features an image of Steve Martin’s grinning face with the top half of his head lopped off, hovering a few inches above. What colour is the background? Red? Blue? Green?
6. Which director was quoted as saying, “Those who read own the world, those who watch television lose it”? David Lynch? Werner Herzog? Jean-Luc Godard?
7. How does Michael remember his Aunt’s house in Road To Perdition? The place by the lake? The place with the dog? The place with the blue house?
THE PLACE WITH THE DOG
8. What is the name of Sarah Connor’s pet iguana in Terminator? Jeff? Pugsley? Rene?
9. Which of the following is not one of the eight stories in Kurosawa’s Dreams? A boy is expected to commit suicide after witnessing a fox wedding? An art student wonders through Van Gogh’s paintings? A lonely man saves a 12 year old girl from a brothel before going mad and killing her?
LONELY MAN & 12 YEAR OLD GIRL
10. Sorry, Wrong Number, written by Lucille Fletcher, was a film noir piece that started out as what? Play? Radio Broadcast? Novel?
RADIO BROADCAST (1944 / novel and film 48 / play 52)
11. What is the name of the Tokyo Network Security Force in Ghost In The Shell? NERV? Section 9? Extra Special Weapons And Advanced Tactics (ESWAT)? [bonus point for naming what year the film takes place]
SECTION 9 
12. When Gilda is brought back to Argentina by Tom, she slaps Johnny across both sides of his face. Rita Hayworth’s slap caused Glenn Ford to bite his tongue off but he held his place until the take was finished. True or False?
FALSE (when she slapped him, she broke two of his teeth)