[20 June 2010]
The Jungle Book Of The Dead
Genre – A harrowing musical comedy as a chainsaw wielding Mowgli fights zombie Sher-Khan
Herbie Does Dallas
Genre – Shower based amnesia thriller with cars on ice
Smokey And The Bandit
Genre – Rom-Com thriller remake with pigs
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. The Western Tombstone is set in which town? [for a bonus point, name the US State Tombstone resides in]
2. Which actor played Indiana Jones?
HARRISON FORD (don’t care about Young Indiana Jones but will accept River Phoenix)
3. Which of the following was not directed by Alfred Hitchcock? Vertigo? Rear Window? The Pride And The Passion?
THE PRIDE AND THE PASSION
4. What is the name of Han Solo’s ship in the Star Wars trilogy? [Bonus Point: How did he acquire the ship?]
THE MILLENNIUM FALCON [Won it in a card game]
5. What was the name of the last Monty Python film to be made? [for a bonus point, name the first]
THE MEANING OF LIFE [And Now For Something Completely Different]
6. Raging Bull tells the story of Jake ‘The Bull’ La Motta. In which sport does Jake compete?
7. Edward Scissorhands has no eyebrows. True or False?
8. What is the name of the Captain of the Flying Dutchman in Pirates Of The Caribbean?
DAVEY JONES (Will Turner also accepted)
9. Paths Of Glory stars which Douglas, Kirk or Michael?
10. What is Rocky’s surname?
11. Which actor co-starred with Goldie Hawn in 1990’s Bird On A Wire?
12. What is Jack’s official title in The Nightmare Before Christmas?
THE PUMPKIN KING
ROUND II: Filming [Disney Animated Classics Special]
1. How many dwarves feature in Snow White? [bonus points for naming them]
SEVEN [Doc / Grumpy / Happy / Sleepy / Bashful / Sneezy / Dopey]
2. In which country is Beauty And The Beast set?
3. Who is present at the tea party in Alice In Wonderland? [one point per correct answer]
MAD HATTER / MARCH HARE / DORMOUSE / ALICE
4. Correctly spell Pinocchio.
5. What causes Aurora’s catatonic state in Sleeping Beauty?
TOUCHING THE SPINDLE OF A SPINNING WHEEL
6. Which of the Disney animated classics was the first to feature an entirely original story?
7. Which actor voices Prince John in Robin Hood?
8. What are the names of the two Little Mermaid spin off films (sequel/prequel)? (one point per correct answer)
THE LITTLE MERMAID II: RETURN TO THE SEA / THE LITTLE MERMAID: ARIEL’S BEGINNING
9. What sense is Trusty deprived of in Lady And The Tramp?
10. What is the name of Cinderella’s stepmother?
LADY MADONNA TREMAINE
11. What are Bambi’s mother’s last words?
KEEP RUNNING (Don’t look back, keep running, keep running — or presumably “Blerghh, I’ve been shot”)
12. In the original Peter Pan, Hook loses his right hand but the Disney artists felt this would limit his actions and switched the hook to the left hand instead. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. The Full Monty is set in which British city?
2. Which 80s film features the quote, “I don’t believe in hell. I believe in unemployment but not hell”?
3. Which actress’ real name is Doris Von Kappellof?
4. How many extras were employed for Fritz Lang’s Metropolis?
THIRTY SEVEN THOUSAND
5. By what name was Maximus referred to in Gladiator?
6. What three characters did Bruce Campbell play in each Spiderman film? (one point per correct answer)
RING ANNOUNCER / USHER / MAITRE D’
7. What is the name of the fast food restaurant that David Lynch went in almost every day for nearly eight years in a row? [2 bonus points for naming his favourite band]
BOB’S BIG BOY [Rammstein]
8. Which director was quoted as saying, “If I had to climb into hell and wrestle the devil himself for one of my films, I would do it”?
9. What is the name of the dance the Mad Hatter performs in Tim Burton’s Alice In Wonderland?
10. In what year was Platoon released?
11. In Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet, Paul Sorvino plays the head of which family, Montague or Capulet?
CAPULET (Brian Dennehy played Ted Montague)
12. Jean Pierre Jeunet has released six feature length films. Name them. (one point per correct answer)
DELICATESSEN / THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN / ALIEN RESURRECTION / AMELIE / A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT / MICMACS
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the Alien films is set on Fury 161? Alien? Aliens? Alien 3?
2. Which of the following is the only actor to play both Jesus Christ and Satan? Jim Caviezel Max Von Sydow? Robert De Niro?
MAX VON SYDOW (The Greatest Story Ever Told / Needful Things)
3. Which country is Errol Flynn from? Australia? Britain? United States?
4. Which faction did Malcolm Reynolds fight for in Serenity? Alliance? Independents? Reavers?
5. What is the highest amount ever paid for a spec script (one that is written by a freelance writer and sold to a studio)? $5mill? $7mill? $22mill?
FIVE MILLION DOLLARS [Terry Rossio and Bill Marsilii for Deja Vu]
6. Which of the following Akria Kurosawa films tells the story of a thief impersonating a dying warlord? Ran? Sanjuro? Kagemusha?
7. What part of Betsy Baker’s face was stripped off when removing the facial moulds for Evil Dead? Eyebrows? Two layers of skin? Eye lashes?
8. What is the name of the town in Three Amigos? Santa Ana? Santa Ria? Santa Poco?
9. What rank is Kevin Costner’s character, John J. Dunbar, in Dances With Wolves? Brigadier General? First Lieutenant? Lieutenant Colonel?
10. In A Clockwork Orange, the carer looking after the wheelchair-bound man previously beaten by Alex’s gang is David Prowse. Which of the following characters is Prowse famously known for? Lurch? Darth Vader? Jaws (James Bond.. not the fish)?
11. Bobby Milk and Kid Monroe were nicknames attributed to which actor? Rob Lowe? Robert De Niro? Billy Bob Thornton?
ROBERT DE NIRO
12. One particular scene in Some Like It Hot required Marilyn Monroe to look through a chest of drawers and say ‘Where’s the bourbon?’ After forty takes of her saying the wrong line, Billy Wilder pasted the correct line in one of the drawers. After nineteen further takes of being unable to find the right drawer, he pasted it in all three. True or False?