[20 June 2010]
The Jungle Book Of The Dead
Genre – A harrowing musical comedy as a chainsaw wielding Mowgli fights zombie Sher-Khan
Herbie Does Dallas
Genre – Shower based amnesia thriller with cars on ice
Smokey And The Bandit
Genre – Rom-Com thriller remake with pigs
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. The Western Tombstone is set in which town? [for a bonus point, name the US State Tombstone resides in]
2. Which actor played Indiana Jones?
HARRISON FORD (don’t care about Young Indiana Jones but will accept River Phoenix)
3. Which of the following was not directed by Alfred Hitchcock? Vertigo? Rear Window? The Pride And The Passion?
THE PRIDE AND THE PASSION
4. What is the name of Han Solo’s ship in the Star Wars trilogy? [Bonus Point: How did he acquire the ship?]
THE MILLENNIUM FALCON [Won it in a card game]
5. What was the name of the last Monty Python film to be made? [for a bonus point, name the first]
THE MEANING OF LIFE [And Now For Something Completely Different]
6. Raging Bull tells the story of Jake ‘The Bull’ La Motta. In which sport does Jake compete?
7. Edward Scissorhands has no eyebrows. True or False?
8. What is the name of the Captain of the Flying Dutchman in Pirates Of The Caribbean?
DAVEY JONES (Will Turner also accepted)
9. Paths Of Glory stars which Douglas, Kirk or Michael?
10. What is Rocky’s surname?
11. Which actor co-starred with Goldie Hawn in 1990’s Bird On A Wire?
12. What is Jack’s official title in The Nightmare Before Christmas?
THE PUMPKIN KING
ROUND II: Filming [Disney Animated Classics Special]
1. How many dwarves feature in Snow White? [bonus points for naming them]
SEVEN [Doc / Grumpy / Happy / Sleepy / Bashful / Sneezy / Dopey]
2. In which country is Beauty And The Beast set?
3. Who is present at the tea party in Alice In Wonderland? [one point per correct answer]
MAD HATTER / MARCH HARE / DORMOUSE / ALICE
4. Correctly spell Pinocchio.
5. What causes Aurora’s catatonic state in Sleeping Beauty?
TOUCHING THE SPINDLE OF A SPINNING WHEEL
6. Which of the Disney animated classics was the first to feature an entirely original story?
7. Which actor voices Prince John in Robin Hood?
8. What are the names of the two Little Mermaid spin off films (sequel/prequel)? (one point per correct answer)
THE LITTLE MERMAID II: RETURN TO THE SEA / THE LITTLE MERMAID: ARIEL’S BEGINNING
9. What sense is Trusty deprived of in Lady And The Tramp?
10. What is the name of Cinderella’s stepmother?
LADY MADONNA TREMAINE
11. What are Bambi’s mother’s last words?
KEEP RUNNING (Don’t look back, keep running, keep running — or presumably “Blerghh, I’ve been shot”)
12. In the original Peter Pan, Hook loses his right hand but the Disney artists felt this would limit his actions and switched the hook to the left hand instead. True or False?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. The Full Monty is set in which British city?
2. Which 80s film features the quote, “I don’t believe in hell. I believe in unemployment but not hell”?
3. Which actress’ real name is Doris Von Kappellof?
4. How many extras were employed for Fritz Lang’s Metropolis?
THIRTY SEVEN THOUSAND
5. By what name was Maximus referred to in Gladiator?
6. What three characters did Bruce Campbell play in each Spiderman film? (one point per correct answer)
RING ANNOUNCER / USHER / MAITRE D’
7. What is the name of the fast food restaurant that David Lynch went in almost every day for nearly eight years in a row? [2 bonus points for naming his favourite band]
BOB’S BIG BOY [Rammstein]
8. Which director was quoted as saying, “If I had to climb into hell and wrestle the devil himself for one of my films, I would do it”?
9. What is the name of the dance the Mad Hatter performs in Tim Burton’s Alice In Wonderland?
10. In what year was Platoon released?
11. In Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo + Juliet, Paul Sorvino plays the head of which family, Montague or Capulet?
CAPULET (Brian Dennehy played Ted Montague)
12. Jean Pierre Jeunet has released six feature length films. Name them. (one point per correct answer)
DELICATESSEN / THE CITY OF LOST CHILDREN / ALIEN RESURRECTION / AMELIE / A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT / MICMACS
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the Alien films is set on Fury 161? Alien? Aliens? Alien 3?
2. Which of the following is the only actor to play both Jesus Christ and Satan? Jim Caviezel Max Von Sydow? Robert De Niro?
MAX VON SYDOW (The Greatest Story Ever Told / Needful Things)
3. Which country is Errol Flynn from? Australia? Britain? United States?
4. Which faction did Malcolm Reynolds fight for in Serenity? Alliance? Independents? Reavers?
5. What is the highest amount ever paid for a spec script (one that is written by a freelance writer and sold to a studio)? $5mill? $7mill? $22mill?
FIVE MILLION DOLLARS [Terry Rossio and Bill Marsilii for Deja Vu]
6. Which of the following Akria Kurosawa films tells the story of a thief impersonating a dying warlord? Ran? Sanjuro? Kagemusha?
7. What part of Betsy Baker’s face was stripped off when removing the facial moulds for Evil Dead? Eyebrows? Two layers of skin? Eye lashes?
8. What is the name of the town in Three Amigos? Santa Ana? Santa Ria? Santa Poco?
9. What rank is Kevin Costner’s character, John J. Dunbar, in Dances With Wolves? Brigadier General? First Lieutenant? Lieutenant Colonel?
10. In A Clockwork Orange, the carer looking after the wheelchair-bound man previously beaten by Alex’s gang is David Prowse. Which of the following characters is Prowse famously known for? Lurch? Darth Vader? Jaws (James Bond.. not the fish)?
11. Bobby Milk and Kid Monroe were nicknames attributed to which actor? Rob Lowe? Robert De Niro? Billy Bob Thornton?
ROBERT DE NIRO
12. One particular scene in Some Like It Hot required Marilyn Monroe to look through a chest of drawers and say ‘Where’s the bourbon?’ After forty takes of her saying the wrong line, Billy Wilder pasted the correct line in one of the drawers. After nineteen further takes of being unable to find the right drawer, he pasted it in all three. True or False?
[06 June 2010]
Sunset Boulevard Of Broken Dreams
Genre – Musical mashup remake (with Green Day)
And The Winner Is… Someone Else
Genre – An annual moan fest
Sex And The City Of Lost Children
Genre – Harrowing Docu-Drama about at-risk youths who get ‘carried’ away
The Thriller Inside Of Me
Genre – A mockumentary following a man possessed by the spirit of Michael Jackson
An Alien To Remember
Genre – Sci-Fi Rom-Com
Arsenic And Old Lace On Ice
Genre – Slippery Thriller
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Jackass: The Movie was based on which MTV show?
2. Which country is Crocodile Dundee from?
3. What colour is James Dean’s jacket in Rebel Without A Cause?
4. Best In Show follows five entrants in a prestigious show for which animal?
5. Who plays Basil Exposition, Austin Powers’ boss?
6. What is the name of Little Nicky’s father in the film of the same name?
7. What is the name of Kevin Spacey’s character in American Beauty?
8. Midnight Express tells the story of an American imprisoned in which country?
9. Morgan Freeman starred as Alex Cross in Along Came A Spider and Kiss The Girls, both based on books by James Patterson. Which was filmed first?
KISS THE GIRLS (1997, sequel in 2001 – despite the books being the other way round)
10. Originally named Shrek: The Final Chapter, what is the current title of the Dreamworks latest CGI sequel?
SHREK: FOREVER AFTER
11. Which film features the quote, “Why don’t you love me, Jenny? I’m not a smart man but I know what love is”?
12. What does MASH stand for?
MOBILE ARMY SURGICAL HOSPITAL
ROUND II: Filming [Oscar Winning Actresses 1940-1969 Special]
1. What was the name of Maggie Smith’s character in The Prime Of Jean Brodie?
2. In which country was Ingrid Bergman born?
3. How is Martha related to George in Who’s Afraid Of Virginia Woolf?
4. To Each His Own, starring Olivia De Havilland, is set during which military conflict?
WORLD WAR I
5. Grace Kelly married the Prince of which country?
6. For which film did Ginger Rogers win her Oscar? Once Upon A Honeymoon? Kitty Foyle? Lady In The Dark?
7. In which year was the best actress Oscar tied? [bonus points for naming the actresses in question]
1968 [Katharine Hepburn / Barbara Streisand]
8. How old was Vivien Leigh when she died in 1967? (point goes to closest answer)
9. What was the name of the film that earned Sophia Loren her only Oscar and was also the first time an Oscar had been awarded to an actress for a non-English speaking role?
TWO WOMEN (La Ciocaria)
10. Who wrote the novel that Mildred Pierce (starring Joan Crawford) is based on? Raymond Chandler? Ira Levin? James M. Cain?
JAMES M. CAIN
11. Which four actresses received two Best Actress Oscars from 1940 – 1969?
INGRID BERGMAN / OLIVIA DE HAVILLAND / ELIZABETH TAYLOR / KATHARINE HEPBURN
12. The country that Audrey Hepburn rules over in Roman Holiday can be seen when she sneaks out of the embassy and is in fact Turkey. True or False?
FALSE – the country is famously never specified
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Which two actors play Haley Joel Osment’s two eccentric uncles in Secondhand Lions? [one point per correct answer]
MICHAEL CAINE / ROBERT DUVALL
2. Which sports videogame (or more specifically, which sport) is Fred Savage playing at the start of The Princess Bride?
3. In The Ref, what is Gus sprayed with when he breaks into the safe at the start of the film?
4. Other than The Usual Suspects, what other film scripts has Christopher McQuarrie written? [one point for each]
THE WAY OF THE GUN / VALKYRIE
5. What animal does Ed Norton dress up as in Death To Smoochy?
6. There have been five official Herbie movies. Name them. [one point per correct answer]
THE LOVE BUG / HERBIE RIDES AGAIN / HERBIE GOES TO MONTE CARLO / HERBIE GOES BANANAS / HERBIE: FULLY LOADED
7. Which film marks the first and only time that both Mickey Mouse and Bugs Bunny have appeared on screen together?
WHO FRAMED ROGER RABBIT?
8. What are the names of the two major operating positions for a Steadicam? (one point per correct answer)
MISSIONARY / DON JUAN (both coined when the steadicam was first invented in 1980)
9. What are the names of the fake film trailers featured in Grindhouse? (one point per correct answer)
MACHETE / WEREWOLF WOMEN OF THE SS / DON’T / THANKSGIVING
10. Michael is the newcomer in Grease 2; how is he related to Sandy from the original Grease movie?
11. Which actor has played Richard Nixon, Dracula and Skeletor?
12. How many Burns brothers feature in John Hillcoat’s The Proposition? [bonus points for first names]
THREE [Arthur / Charlie / Mikey]
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the following actors has not played Sherlock Holmes? Christopher Plumber? Christopher Eccleston? Christopher Lee?
CHRISTOPHER ECCLESTON (Plumber – Murder By Decree 1979 / Lee – Sherlock Holmes And The Deadly Necklace 1962)
2. Which country does William claim to hail from in A Knights Tale? Liechtenstein? Gelderland? Friesland?
GELDERLAND (posing as Ulrich Von Lichtenstein from Gelderland)
3. To date, which film has earned the best opening day gross of $73 million? The Dark Knight? New Moon? Harry Potter And The Half Blood Prince?
4. How many Oscars has Denzel Washington won? One? Two? Three?
5. The start of Green Street depicts a fight between the firms of two football teams. One is West Ham, what is the other? Tottenham Hotspur? Arsenal? Manchester United?
6. What was Robin Tunney required to wear throughout The Craft? Contact Lenses? Wig? Police Bracelet?
WIG (she shaved her head for her previous role)
7. Which of the following has not played a werewolf? Hugh Jackman? Russell Crowe? Benicio Del Toro?
8. Who composed the score for Driving Miss Daisy? Hans Zimmer? John Williams? Howard Shore?
9. What number is Ben Hur assigned whilst working in the rowing cabin of the Roman warship? 39? 40? 41?
10. Which of the following films was banned longest in the UK? The Texas Chainsaw Massacre? Visions Of Ecstasy? The Last House On The Left? (bonus point for guessing how many years)
THE LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (30 years 1972-2002) [Texas Chainsaw Massacre (25 years 1974-1999) / Visions Of Ecstasy (21 years 1989-present)]
11. What breed of horse is Hidalgo? Cob? Mustang? Jutland?
12. Originally, The ‘Burbs was a story about a new family in the neighbourhood that were suspected to be Nazis but after a controversial news story aired, Tom Hanks said he would not work on the film. Subsequently, the neighbours became cannibals, even though the script didn’t change much. True or False?