[23 May 2010]
Outbreakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo
Genre – Strutting The Good Stuff With A Funky Monkey
Gorillas Getting Pissed
Genre – (open for interpretation)
Capuccin The Friedmans
Genre – A Guerilla Documentary Of Family Monkey Business
Apathetic George: He Doesn’t Want To Know
Genre – Provincial Realism
Twelve Angry Monkeys
Genre – Simian Court Drama Animation With Time Travel
Breadcrumbs And Butterbeans
Genre – Animation/Cookery
Four Monkeys 3 (cubed)
Genre – Mathematical Mystery Tour of The Amazon Rainforest
Damn Dirty Students
Genre – Inter-Species Erotica
The Gouda Girl
Genre – A Cheesy Film
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. The 1999 movie Inspector Gadget was based on which 1980s animated television show?
2. What is the name of the film in which Jim Carrey is given the power of God? [bonus point for naming the actor who portrayed God]
BRUCE ALMIGHTY [Morgan Freeman]
What is the surname of the main vampire family in the Twilight films?
4. Spell Mufasa. [bonus point for spelling Rafiki]
5. Who plays Inspector Jacques Clouseau in the Pink Panther movies?
PETER SELLERS (3 points) ALAN ARKIN (2 points) ROGER MOORE (1 point) STEVE MARTIN (minus 2 points)
6. What was Emmet Brown’s title (eg. Mr. Mrs. Lord. Rev.) in Back To The Future?
7. What is the name of the Oscar winning Berlin song famously used for Top Gun?
TAKE MY BREATH AWAY
8. Which character in The Matrix (or more specifically which of the Nebuchadnezzar’s crew) has the access codes to Zion?
9. Which animal was tunnelling beneath the Bushwood Country Club in Caddyshack?
10. What is the first line spoken in Citizen Kane?
11. What was the name of the jewel worn by Kate Winslet’s character in Titanic?
THE HEART OF THE OCEAN
12. Who played the lead role of Sabrina Fairchild in 1954’s Sabrina?
ROUND II: Filming [Films With Monkeys Special]
1. Which animal started the spread of the deadly virus in Outbreak?
2. What is the title of the song, sung by King Louie in 1967’s The Jungle Book?
I WANNA BE LIKE YOU
3. How does the gorilla communicate with young scientist, Peter Elliot in 1995 action-crap Congo? [bonus point for naming the gorilla]
SIGN LANGUAGE [Amy]
4. Which of the following did not star in Dunston Checks In? Faye Dunaway? Rupert Everett? Jean Reno?
5. Which two View Askew films feature an orang-utan named Suzanne? [one point per correct answer]
MALLRATS / JAY AND SILENT BOB STRIKE BACK
6. Which 1996 ‘family comedy’ tells the story of a baseball player (Matt LeBlanc) and the team’s chimpanzee mascot who turns out to be their best player?
7. Which Indiana Jones movie does not feature any monkeys?
INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (Poisoned monkey spy in Raiders / Chilled monkey brains in Temple / CGI swinging monkeys in Crystal Skull)
8. Which fictional ape is referenced in Training Day? [2 bonus points for correctly listing the exact quote]
KING KONG [‘King Kong ain’t got shit on me!’]
9. What two items of clothing does Abu wear in Aladdin? [one point for item, one point for colour]
VIOLET-RED FEZ / PURPLE VEST
10. Cheeta was the chimpanzee sidekick to whom?
11. How is a monkey involved in Sunset Boulevard?
NORMA DESMOND HOLDS A FUNERAL FOR HER PET CHIMP (when asked how he wanted to arrange the scene, Wilder responded, ‘you know, just your standard monkey funeral shot’)
12. 2001: A Space Odyssey lost the Oscar for Best Makeup to Planet Of The Apes because the judges didn’t realise the apes in 2001 were actually people in costume. True or False?
FALSE (the Oscar for Best Makeup was first awarded in 1981, thirteen years after the release of both films)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. In 1933-34 Shirley Temple starred in a series of films collectively entitled Frolics Of Youth (Merrily Yours / What’s To Do? / Pardon My Pups / Managed Money). What was the name of her character?
MARY LOU ROGERS
2. What is the line that Sarah has problems remembering and subsequently needs to recall in order to rescue Toby in Labyrinth? (the line starts: Through untold dangers and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child that you have stolen, for my will is as strong as yours and my kingdom is as great . . . )
YOU HAVE NO POWER OVER ME
3. What brought Ash back to life in Pokemon: The Movie?
4. All of the clocks in Pulp Fiction are set to what time?
TWENTY PAST FOUR
5. Who is currently the highest grossing actor of all time? (total film gross: $3,530 million)? [bonus points for guessing second and third]
TOM HANKS [Eddie Murphy (3475mill) / Harrison Ford (3424mill)]
6. What is Rule 18 in Zombieland? Wear Seatbelts? Limber Up? Avoid Strip Clubs?
LIMBER UP [4 – Seatbelts / 21 – Clubs]
7. What is the title of an almost completely unheard of 2001 film, starring Samuel L Jackson as a cave-dwelling man who tracks down the killer of a homeless boy?
THE CAVEMAN’S VALENTINE
8. How many crew members make up the Icarus II in 2007’s Sunshine? [bonus points for each first name listed]
EIGHT [Kaneda / Corazon / Capa / Mace / Searle/ Cassie / Trey / Harvey]
9. Which actor’s real name is Maurice Micklewhite?
10. Which movie featured the poster tagline, “That Indian guy from Van Wilder and that Asian guy from American Pie”?
HAROLD AND KUMAR GO TO WHITE CASTLE (or Harold And Kumar Get The Munchies)
11. What was the name of Whoopi Goldberg’s Oscar winning character in Ghost?
ODA MAE BROWN
12. Who directed the extremely popular 1968 adaptation of Romeo & Juliet, starring Leonard Whiting, Olivia Hussey and Michael York?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which actress starred alongside Cary Grant in Houseboat? Eva Marie Saint? Sophia Loren? Grace Kelly?
2. What was the last animated feature film that Walt Disney actively worked on before his death one year before its release? The Aristocats? The Sword In The Stone? The Jungle Book?
THE JUNGLE BOOK
3. Which composer wrote the scores for Crash, Blade and Point Break? Ramin Djawadi? Mark Isham? Laurence Rosenthal?
4. In one of the first recorded instances of major product placement, which fast food chain makes a brief appearance in Goldfinger? McDonalds? Burger King? Kentucky Fried Chicken?
KFC (Feliz Leiter drive past a KFC whilst tracing a homing signal they believe belongs to Bond)
5. Who was originally cast to play Captain Willard in Apocalypse Now, before being replaced by Martin Sheen after filming had begun? William Shatner? Harvey Keitel? Sylvester Stallone?
6. In which coastal town is 1979’s Quadrophenia largely set? Bridlington? Portsmouth? Brighton?
7. What is Baby’s real name in Dirty Dancing? Frances? Penny? Jennifer?
8. Who wrote the music for 1965’s What’s New Pussycat? Burt Bacharach? Tony Bennett? Tom Jones?
9. Which of the following 50s films was not a musical? Oklahoma? Carousel? Picnic?
10. Which Noel Coward film tells the story of the final battle of the HMS Torrin? Blithe Spirit? In Which We Serve? The Astonished Heart?
IN WHICH WE SERVE
11. Which film critic said Armageddon “is an assault on the eyes, the ears, the brain, common sense and the human desire to be entertained”? Jonathan Ross? Roger Ebert? Matthew Stogdon?
12. Who Framed Roger Rabbit became the fastest selling Laserdisc when it was revealed that the animators had snuck in several scenes of Jessica Rabbit naked, viewable only when the viewer advanced frame-by-frame. True or False?