[25 April 2010]
Genre – A Dyslexic Action-Comedy Blokebuster
Charlie’s Angels III: Charlie Says Never Go Off With Homicidal Megalomaniacs You Don’t Know
Genre – Instructional Action Comedy
Charlie & Lola’s Angels
Genre – Action Blockbuster For The Under 3s
Genre – The Sordid Story Of Three Potty-Mouthed, High-Kicking Bints
Genre – Royal Corgi Action Film
Charlie’s Honky Tonk Angels
Genre – Documentary On The Effects Of Prostitution In San Francisco
Charlie’s Spangles – Hard Boiled
Genre – A 70’s Re-Imagining With Cheap Product Placement
The Full Throttlers
Genre – Experimental Film
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the new class that Principal Sweeney teaches Danny in American History X?
AMERICAN HISTORY X
2. What is the name of Tony Stark’s company in Iron Man?
3. What was the name of the sequel to Meet The Parents? [bonus point for correctly naming the upcoming third instalment]
MEET THE FOCKERS [Little Fockers]
4. What was the name of Frodo Baggins’ sidekick/companion in The Lord Of The Rings?
5. In A Grand Day Out, Wallace and Gromit travel to the moon in search of what?
6. Which instalment of the original Star War trilogy doesn’t involve an exploding Death Star?
STAR WARS: EPISODE V – THE EMPIRE STRIKES BACK
7. There are five official books in The Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy Trilogy but how many films have been made?
8. Which Disney character has the catchphrase ‘To Infinity And Beyond!’ ?
9. How many times did James Stewart work with Alfred Hitchcock? [bonus points for naming the titles]
FOUR [Rear Window / Vertigo / Rope / The Man Who Knew Too Much]
10. Where was Cary Grant born? (one point for country, five for city)
BRISTOL, UNITED KINGDOM
11. What was the name of the femme fatale in Double Indemnity?
12. Who plays the sadistic exterminator Delbert McClintock in Arachnophobia?
ROUND II: Filming [Charlie’s Angels & Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle Special]
1. What is the name of the millionaire who employs the ‘angels’?
2. What are the names (just first names) of Charlie’s Angels and the actresses who play them? (one point per correct answer)
NATALIE COOK (Cameron Diaz) / DYLAN SANDERS (Drew Barrymore) / ALEX MUNDAY (Lucy Liu)
3. Who plays Bosley in each film? (one point per correct answer)
BILL MURRAY / BERNIE MAC
4. Which Angel continually tosses her boyfriend on his back when he approaches her from behind? (In retrospect, I could have phrased this question better) ***1000th question asked at the Cinema City Film Quiz!***
5. Who plays the main villain in each film; Eric Knox and Madison Lee? (one point per correct answer)
SAM ROCKWELL / DEMI MOORE
6. Which angel bought the rights to the Charlie’s Angels TV series and made around $120 million out of both films?
7. What is the name of the communications-satellite company in Charlie’s Angels?
8. How many minutes longer is the uncut version of Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle?
9. What did the nuns name the Thin Man?
10. Which of the majors (the seven major Hollywood studios) produced the Charlie’s Angels films?
11. What was the working title for the Charlie’s Angels sequel?
12. Charlie’s Angels: Full Throttle was the first film to be released on Blu-Ray. What year was this?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. How many Lebowskis feature in The Big Lebowski? [bonus points for naming them]
FOUR [Jeffrey ‘The Dude’ Lebowski, Jeffrey ‘Big’ Lebowski, Maude Lebowski, Bunny Lebowski]
2. Which film features the following exchange: “Have you ever been liberated before?” “I got divorced twice. Does that count?”
A BRIDGE TOO FAR
3. Name the three films that star both John Travolta and Bruce Willis. (one point per correct answer)
LOOK WHO’S TALKING / LOOK WHO’S TALKING TOO / PULP FICTION
4. About Schmidt opens on a retirement party. How old is Warren Schmidt at this point?
5. Edgar Wright’s Pegg/Frost films, Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz and the yet to be filmed The World’s End have been dubbed the ‘Blood And Ice Cream Trilogy’, owing to the fact that a specific flavour cornetto features in each film. Which flavour has yet to be seen? [bonus points for matching the other flavours to the films]
MINT [Shaun Of The Dead – Strawberry (red) / Hot Fuzz – Classico (blue)
6. What is director McG’s real name?
JOSEPH MCGINTY NICHOL
7. In Chasing Amy, Silent Bob says to Jay, “What you don’t know about me could just about fill the Grand Canyon” This is said in homage to which film?
BUTCH CASSIDY AND THE SUNDANCE KID
8. At the start of The Adventures Of Baron Munchausen, three references to time are displayed. ‘Late 18th Century’ and ‘The Age Of Reason’ are the first two. What is the third?
9. Sweet Sweetback’s Baadasssss Song, Willie Dynamite and Velvet Smooth all belong to which seventies genre?
10. What Princely alias does Aladdin take in the 1992 Disney film of the same name?
11. Which Japenese animation studio is responsible for releases such as Grave Of The Fireflies, Ocean Waves and Laputa: Castle In The Sky?
12. Air Bud was a 1997 family film about a golden retriever that played basketball.. or something equally ridiculous. This spawned four sequels and four spin-off ‘buddies’ films (with puppy versions). Name them.
GOLDEN RECEIVER / WORLD PUP / SEVENTH INNING FETCH / SPIKES BACK / AIR BUDDIES / SNOW BUDDIES / SPACE BUDDIES / SANTA BUDDIES
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Based on net losses, which of the following is considered the biggest box office bomb? The Adventures Of Pluto Nash? Cutthroat Island? The Alamo? [bonus point for correctly guessing the adjusted net loss figure]
CUTTHROAT ISLAND [$146,947,958]
2. Which war is depicted in Mel Gibson’s The Patriot? The American Revolutionary War? The American Civil War? The Vietnam War?
AMERICAN REVOLUTIONARY WAR
3. Who made a cameo playing the piano in the San Francisco saloon in 1956’s Around The World In 80 Days? Burt Bacharach? Frank Sinatra? Ennio Morricone?
4. Which silent Western famously ends with Barnes firing directly into the camera, terrifying and exciting audiences of the day? The Bank Robbery? The Great Train Robbery? Broncho Billy’s Redemption?
THE GREAT TRAIN ROBBERY
5. What is the Gorignak in Galaxy Quest made of? Water? Rocks? Wood?
6. Which of the following dinosaurs does not feature in either Jurassic Park or Jurassic Park: The Lost World? Pteranodon? Ankylosaurus? Pachycephalosaurus?
ANKYLOSAURUS (which was only seen in Jurassic Park III – albeit briefly)
7. Which Baldwin brother starred in 8 Seconds, Silent Warnings and Crossing The Bridge? Alec? William? Stephen?
8. How many years has it been since Goldie Hawn has released a film? 8? 9? 11? [bonus point for naming her last feature]
EIGHT [The Banger Sisters]
9. What reason does Todd give his parents for spending so much time with his (Nazi war criminal) neighbour in Apt Pupil? He’s writing an essay about him? He reads to him? He cleans his house for money?
HE READS TO HIM
10. Across The Universe is a 2007 musical inspired by the songs of which band? U2? The Beatles? ABBA?
11. Three Bob Dylan tracks are used in Watchmen although two are cover versions, which is the only one sung by him? All Along The Watchtower? Desolation Row? The Times They Are A-Changin?
THE TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN
12. Due to WWII security measures it was impossible to film the final scene of Casablanca at a real airport. Instead a half-sized scale cardboard plane was built with dwarves as the cabin crew, to cheat perspective. True or False?