[14 March 2010]
Genre – Mob-Com
Tony Hannah Montana: The Best Of Both Worlds
Genre – Haemaphrodidic Kids Romp In 3D
Alfredo’s Adventures In Poundland
Genre – A No-Budget Shopudrama
The Silence Of The Clams
Genre – Documentary Film On Ocean Pollution
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is Jim Carrey’s character unable to do in Liar Liar?
2. Who directed 1963’s The Birds?
3. What is the name of the fur-coat adorned villain in 101 Dalmations?
4. What is the name of Danny’s car in Grease?
5. Orlando Bloom plays Will Turner in Pirates Of The Caribbean, what is his profession?
6. What is the name of the ice hockey team coached by Emilio Estevez in the film of the same name?
THE MIGHTY DUCKS (although the team is officially called Ducks – either are considered acceptable answers)
7. What type of executions are performed in The Green Mile?
8. Was The Big Boss a Bruce Lee or Jackie Chan movie?
9. Which actress played the title role in Private Benjamin? [for a bonus point, did she win the Oscar she was nominated for?]
GOLDIE HAWN [No – of her two nominations her only Oscar win was in 1969 for Cactus Flower]
10. The widow of which author sued the makers of Nosferatu for copyright infringement? [bonus point for correctly guessing her first name]
BRAM STOKER [Florence]
11. During the witch trial in Monty Python & The Holy Grail, what animal did Connie Booth supposedly turn John Cleese into?
12. In 1991, Christopher Plummer starred in Star Trek VI as General Chang. Which famous British playwright does he quote throughout?
ROUND II: Filming [Al Pacino Special]
1. In which film does Al Pacino play Tony Montana?
2. Pacino plays Big Boy Caprice in the adaptation of which comic?
3. Pacino heads up an elite unit for which US Government body in The Recruit?
4. According to Alec Baldwin’s character what does a salesman needs to succeed in Glengarry Glen Ross? Lead Gut? Brass Balls? Nerves Of Steel?
5. Which two of the following did Francis Ford Coppola discover Pacino was unable to do after casting him for The Godfather? Drive a car? Tie a necktie? Speak Italian? [one point for each]
DRIVE / SPEAK ITALIAN
6. To date, Al Pacino has only won one Oscar. Which film was it for?
SCENT OF A WOMAN
7. In which borough of New York is Dog Day Afternoon set? Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, Staten Island?
8. What is Serpico’s first name?
9. What accessory did Pacino insist on wearing throughout Donnie Brasco, much to the director’s objections?
10. How many years does Carlito spend in prison before being released in Carlito’s Way?
11. Which Pacino film features the following quote: “Drop of a hat, these guys will rock and roll”?
12. Who was originally hired to direct The Devil’s Advocate in 1994?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What were the names of the two children charged to Mary Poppins in the 1964 film of the same name? [one point per each correct answer]
JANE / MICHAEL
2. What is the name of J’s first weapon in Men In Black? [two bonus points for naming K’s rifle in the same scene]
NOISY CRICKET [Series 4 De-atomiser]
3. The British 1958 war film, Ice Cold In Alex was renamed Desert Attack for its US release. What exactly does the original title refer to?
BEER (Captain Anson is leading a team through the desert and imagines a cold glass of beer in a fictional bar in Alexandria)
4. In Casablanca, Major Strasser produces a notebook with Rick Blaine’s age written down. How old was he? [point awarded to the closest answer]
5. What’s a Deepfocus Shot?
A SHOT IN WHICH BOTH THE FOREGROUND AND BACKGROUND ARE IN FOCUS
6. Which book of the bible did Andy Dufresne hide the rock hammer in, in The Shawshank Redemption?
7. What is the name of the first song featured in The Nightmare Before Christmas?
THIS IS HALLOWEEN
8. Which actor has played the roles of Frederick Treves, Abraham Van Helsing and William Parrish? [three bonus points for naming each film the characters are from]
ANTHONY HOPKINS [The Elephant Man, Dracula and Meet Joe Black respectively]
9. The upcoming release, Brooklyn’s Finest is Wesley Snipes’ first theatrical release in over five years. What was his last hit?
10. What were the guns replaced with in the anniversary director’s cut of E.T. ?
11. How many years passed before the characters of Before Sunrise met again in Before Sunset? [two bonus points for stating how many years passed between the release of both films]
NINE YEARS [9 years]
12. There are officially seven major Hollywood studios nicknamed the Majors. Name them. [one point per correct answer]
MGM/UA / 20th CENTURY FOX / SONY PICTURES / WARNER BROS. / PARAMOUNT PICTURES / UNIVERSAL / DISNEY
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Charles Bronson (born Charles Buchinsky) was born in America but where were his parents from? Poland? Lithuania? Slovenia (formerly Yugoslavia)?
2. In 2006’s Man Of The Year, Robin Williams’ character accidentally ends up with which job? Editor of Time Magazine? President of the United States? A whale at Seaworld?
3. Which of the following short films was not directed by David Lynch? The Amputee? Hag In A Black Leather Jacket? The Grandmother?
HAG IN A BLACK LEATHER JACKET (1964 short by John Waters)
4. What is Frank Bigelow dying of at the start of DOA? Mercury Poisoning? Radiation Poisoning? Lead Poisoning?
5. Which of the following films has not been adapted into a musical? All About Eve? Toy Story? Dirty Rotten Scoundrels?
TOY STORY (All About Eve became Applause)
6. Which film features the following quote: “As of this moment, they’re on double secret probation!”? Old School? Animal House? Road Trip?
7. Which actress played the First Lady to Kevin Kline’s President Mitchell in 1993’s Dave? Emma Thompson? Sigourney Weaver? Stockard Channing?
8. In Born On The Fourth Of July, Tom Cruise plays a Veteran of which war? Korean War? Vietnam War? Gulf War?
9. Henry Mancini won four Oscars in his lifetime. Two of them were awarded for one film. Which of the following is it? The Pink Panther? Breakfast At Tiffanys? The Glen Miller Story?
BREAKFAST AT TIFFANYS
10. What event is being celebrated at the start of Steel Magnolias? Bar Mitzvah? Wedding? Birthday?
11. What is the name of the 2005 neo-noir film directed by Rian Johnson? Tug? Brick? Pin?
12. In The Blues Brothers, Elwood is confronted by an old man who demands to know if he has got his Cheez Whiz yet. Elwood subsequently produces a can from his pocket. This is the only surviving scene of an entire subplot that was cut from the original release. True or False?
FALSE (he just wanted some Cheez Whiz)