[14 February 2010]
These Boots Are Made For Walken
Genre – Nancy Sinatra Biopic Starring Christopher Walken
The Importance Of Being Ernie
Genre – Morecome and Wise Biopic
3 Men And A Little Lady
Genre – Romantic Comedy
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Wimbledon is a romantic comedy that focuses on which sport?
2. What was the name of Bridget Jones: The Edge Of Reason’s predecessor?
BRIDGET JONES’ DIARY
3. How old is Andy in 40 Year Old Virgin?
4. On the poster for 13 Going On 30, Jennifer Garner is using bubblegum to blow a bubble. What colour is it?
5. Who play the title roles in Baz Luhrmann’s Romeo & Juliet? [one point per correct answer]
LEONARDO DI CAPRIO / CLAIRE DANES
6. Which film was released with the trailer/poster tagline ‘an adventure 65 million years in the making’?
7. Which actress plays a princess of an unspecified country in Roman Holiday?
8. How many Aliens Vs Predator films have been released to date?
TWO [AvP / AvP: Requiem]
9. Which US law agency does Sandra Bullock work for in Miss Congeniality?
10. Who or what is Tiffany in Breakfast At Tiffany’s?
NEW YORK CITY JEWELRY STORE
11. The Notebook is based on the novel by which author?
12. What was the name of the character played by Vivien Leigh in 1939’s Gone With The Wind?
ROUND II: Filming [Gael Garcia Bernal Special]
1. 2008’s Blindness was selected to open which French film festival?
2. What animal features on almost every poster for The Science Of Sleep?
DONKEY / HORSE
3. What type of accident brings the three plot threads together in Amores Perros?
4. Which sport is the focus of Rudo y Cursi?
5. Bernal’s character in The King, Elvis, is discharged from which military outfit?
6. In which country was Bernal born? Puerto Rico? Mexico? Argentina?
7. Bernal and director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu got in trouble with PETA on Babel’s release for the way in which a chicken was killed on-screen. Was the chicken real or not?
FAKE (despite the chicken being a prop, Bernal has killed chickens with his bare hands, claiming it’s a part of life)
8. In which country did Bernal study acting? [bonus point for naming the city]
UNITED KINGDOM [London]
9. How many of Bernal’s films have been nominated for the Oscar for Best Foreign Film? [bonus points for naming them]
TWO [Amores Perros / El Crimen Del Padre Amaro]
10. What was the informal title (based on literal translation) of Y Tu Mama Tambien that was later abandoned in the United States?
AND YOUR MOTHER TOO
11. El Crimen Del Padre Amaro is based on the novel of the same name, released in which year? [closest answer gets the point]
12. What is the name of the motorbike that Che Guevara and Alberto Granado travel on in Diarios de Motocicleta?
LA PODEROSA (‘The Powerful One’)
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What is the name of Marilyn Monroe’s character in The Seven Year Itch?
THE GIRL (she is cast without a name, billed only as ‘the girl’)
2. The title of 1949’s Kind Hearts And Coronets comes from the poem Lady Clara Vere de Vere by which poet?
ALFRED LORD TENNYSON
3. Which four actors starred in the lead roles (as Team Daedalus) in Clint Eastwood’s Space Cowboys? [one point per correct answer]
CLINT EASTWOOD / TOMMY LEE JONES / DONALD SUTHERLAND / JAMES GARNER
4. In the film Aliens, Newt explains she is only called Rebecca by who?
5. Warner Bros. released The Jazz Singer in 1927, which they claimed to be the first ‘talkie’. Who was the lead?
6. This year’s Academy Awards have listed ten nominations for Best Picture. When did this last happen?
7. Columbia Pictures released When Harry Met Sally using the platform technique. What is this?
A CONCEPT IN WHICH A FILM OPENS IN SELECT CITIES AND GAINS DISTRIBUTION AFTER POSITIVE WORD OF MOUTH
8. In Bringing Up Baby, Clark Gable’s character plays a palaeontologist looking for the last bone to complete a skeleton of which dinosaur?
9. Which 1960’s film closes with the line, ‘Shup up and deal’?
10. Which film was released with the poster tagline ‘Man has made his match.. now it’s his problem’?
11. The 1945 film And Then There Were None was based on the book by which author?
12. From which 1949 movie is the following quote from: “Lawyers should never marry other lawyers. This is called inbreeding, from which comes idiot children and more lawyers”
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What was the top-grossing film of 1996? Independence Day? Twister? Mission: Impossible?
2. Which is the only James Stewart film in which you never actually see his face? The Greatest Show On Earth? Thunder Bay? Broken Arrow?
THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH (he plays Buttons the clown, always in makeup)
3. Which James Bond actor starred in 1980’s Flash Gordon? Timothy Dalton? Pierce Brosnan? George Lazenby?
4. Which actress has top billing on the posters for Gentlemen Prefer Blondes (in other words, who was considered the lead actress)? Jane Russell? Marilyn Monroe? Norma Varden?
5. Where does Ellie meet Peter Warne in 1934’s It Happened One Night? On a bus? On a train? On a blimp?
ON A BUS
6. 10 Things I Hate About You is based on which Shakespearean play? The Taming Of The Shrew? As You Like It? Much Ado About Nothing?
THE TAMING OF THE SHREW
7. Frank Sinatra’s character in Guys And Dolls! is called Nathan what? Phoenix? California? Detroit?
8. What is Kate Forster’s (played by Sandra Bullock) job in The Lake House? Police Officer? Dentist? Doctor?
9. Which cast member from The Philadelphia Story donated their entire $100,000 salary to the British War Relief Fund? Katherine Hepburn? James Stewart? Cary Grant?
10. In 1996 Janeane Garofalo disowned one of her own films, dubbing it ‘anti-feminist’. Which of the following was it? Larger Than Life? The Cable Guy? The Truth About Cats & Dogs?
THE TRUTH ABOUT CATS & DOGS
11. Which Star Wars actor worked uncredited on the script of The Wedding Singer? Mark Hamill? Harrison Ford? Carrie Fisher?
12. Spencer Tracy won a posthumous Oscar for his role in Guess Who’s Coming To Dinner. True or False?
FALSE (Rod Steiger won it for In The Heat Of The Night)