[28 February 2010]
The Lovely Boner (Told From The ..Bad Person’s Perspective)
Genre – Romance In The Worst Possible Way
Vanessa Redgrave Approaching Senility
Genre – Awards Presentation
Natural Chair Fillers
Genre – Set During Oscar Ceremony, ‘Fillers’ Stage Violent Take-Over Protest
Michael Jackson & The Natural Born Colour Thief
Genre – Rockudrama
The Lovely Scones: A Baker’s Revenge
Genre – A Period Bakery Drama
Genre – Long Acceptance Speeches With Artifical Emotion And Shocking Taste In Dress
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the ogre voiced by Mike Meyers in Shrek?
2. Return To Oz is the sequel to which film?
THE WIZARD OF OZ
3. What does Whoopi Goldberg disguise herself as in Sister Act?
4. How did ET plan to contact his people?
**Audience participation: 3 points for impersonating ET on stage**
5. Who directed Saving Private Ryan?
6. What is the name of the chainsaw-wielding villain in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre?
7. What gets cut off in the infamous torture scene in Reservoir Dogs?
8. Who plays Maria in West Side Story?
9. What was the name of James Dean’s last film?
10. Which Disney film features the villain Maleficent?
11. Of his four nominations (excl. his most recent), how many Oscars has Jeff Bridges won to date?
12. Triumph Of The Will (Triumph Des Willens – 1935) was Leni Riefenstahl’s documentary glorifying which political party?
NATIONAL SOCIALIST PARTY (Nazi Party)
ROUND II: Filming [Natural Born Killers Special]
1. Who directed Natural Born Killers?
2. Who wrote the original (and largely altered) script for this film?
3. What colour did the director use to represent Mickey’s mental instability?
4. What is the name of Wayne Gale’s (played by Robert Downey Jnr) show?
5. How did Mickey and Mallory meet?
MICKEY WAS DELIVERING MEAT TO MALLORY’S HOUSE
6. Which author openly accused this movie of being irresponsible and went on to aid a law case against the film with his knowledge of court law?
7. Natural Born Killer’s highest award nomination was one Golden Globe. What was it for?
8. During filming, Juliette Lewis broke Tom Sizemore’s nose when she slammed his face into a wall. True or False?
9. How many rattlesnakes were used for the scene in the snake field? [closest answer gets the point]
10. Following Mallory’s sitcom scene (entitled I Love Mallory) there are a few brief credits. Which of the following was not listed as stunts? Drowning? Punching? Eating really yucky green stuff?
11. At the time, the director and soundtrack producer Trent Reznor wanted to get Snoop Dogg involved. Why wouldn’t Warner Bros. allow it?
AT THE TIME HE WAS ON TRIAL FOR MURDER
12. Near the start of the film, Mickey and Mallory are lying in the desert looking up at the stars. On being told the world is coming to an end, Mallory talks about the image of Mickey riding a red horse. This supposedly represents one of the four horseman of the apocalypse; which one?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. How tall was Veronica Lake? [closest answer gets the point]
FOUR FOOT ELEVEN (4’11”)
2. Ralph Fiennes character in The English Patient was making a map of what area?
THE SAHARA DESERT
3. Which actor said “I don’t want to spread the peanut butter of my personality on the mouldy bread of the commercial press”?
4. What is the name of the bug planet in Starship Troopers? [bonus point for correct spelling]
5. Name Yasujiro Ozu’s acclaimed 1953 film.
6. Which year saw the release of Grease, Superman and The Deer Hunter?
7. What is the name of Buffalo Bill’s dog in Silence Of The Lambs?
8. Which Disney film was released with the tagline, ‘The Most Beautiful Love Story Ever Told’?
BEAUTY AND THE BEAST
9. Amanda Bynes comedy, She’s The Man, is based on which Shakespearean play?
10. How many eggs did Rocky drink in his first morning workout?
11. In Pan’s Labyrinth, Ofelia is told to put a mandrake root in a bowl of what?
12. Robert Mitchum died 01-Jul-1997, one day before which other famous actor?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which character did Claude Rains play in 1938’s The Adventures Of Robin Hood? Little John? Prince John? Sir Guy Of Gisbourne?
2. Which Charlie Chaplin film was apparently Orson Welles’ favourite movie of all time? City Lights? Modern Times? The Kid?
3. What is the minimum release window between cinema and DVD? 12 Weeks? 17 Weeks? 21 Weeks?
4. What instrument does Rob Lowe’s character play in St. Elmo’s Fire? Trumpet? Saxophone? Guitar?
5. Which Film Noir piece features the quote, “You’re like a leaf that blows from one gutter to another”? Out Of The Past? This Gun For Hire? Detour?
OUT OF THE PAST
6. What is the name of the band in That Thing You Do? The Echoes? The Lords Of Erie? The Wonders? [bonus point for naming the director]
THE WONDERS [Tom Hanks]
7. Which noble does Christopher Eccleston play in Elizabeth? Earl Of Leicester? Duke Of Norfolk? Baron Of Burghley?
DUKE OF NORFOLK
8. Which documentary won last year’s Oscar? Encounters At The End Of The World? Man On Wire? The Betrayal?
MAN ON WIRE
9. Which Irish actor played Jackson Rippner in 2005’s Red Eye? Colin Farrell? Cillian Murphy? Jonathan Rhys-Meyers?
10. Which Indian tribe raids the Edwards’ house in The Searchers? Apache? Comanche? Navajo?
11. What animal does Ditchwater Sal turn Tristan into in Stardust? Goat? Dog? Mouse?
12. On the success of 1946’s The Blue Dahlia, The Screen Guild Theatre produced a half-hour radio play three years later, however none of the original cast were asked back. True or False?
FALSE (Veronica Lake and Alan Ladd reprised their original roles)