[03 January 2010]
Genre – Racing Drama Starring Clint Eastwood
The Hunt For Jim Jarmusch’s Talent
Genre – Misguided Indie
The Princess And The Frogs
Genre – A Humorous Look At The Death Of Princess Di
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. The Mummy, starring Brendan Fraser and Rachel Weisz is a re-imagining of which 1932 film?
2. Bride And Prejudice is a Bollywood adaptation of which Jane Austen novel?
PRIDE AND PREJUDICE
3. Who played Lara Croft in 2001’s Tomb Raider?
4. Which character did John Goodman play in the 1994 life-action film, The Flintstones?
5. Which US city did Kevin McCallister find himself in, in Home Alone 2?
NEW YORK CITY
6. Who directed Schindler’s List?
7. Easy Rider shows Wyatt and Billy travelling across America on what? [for two bonus points, name the director]
MOTORBIKES [Dennis Hopper]
8. What is Will Smith’s codename in Men In Black?
9. What precious jewel is the focal point of 1984’s Romancing The Stone? Ruby? Diamond? Emerald?
10. In American Graffiti, Rock Around The Clock and All Summer Long are played during the opening and closing credits respectively. Which is which?
OPENING – Rock Around The Clock / CLOSING – All Summer Long
11. What device does one use to exit The Matrix in the film of the same name?
TELEPHONE (specifically payphones)
12. Who directed Chow Yun-Fat in 1989’s The Killer?
ROUND II: Filming
1. A Best Boy is a chief assistant to various departments. What name is given to a female Best Boy?
2. In Meet The Parents, Robert De Niro’s character explains that genius’ pick the colour car that Ben Stiller has rented. What colour was it?
3. What is the name of the ship captained by Russell Crowe in Master & Commander?
4. In Rush Hour, whose father was a police officer? Carter? Lee? Both? Neither?
5. What was stolen from Pee-Wee Herman in Pee-Wee Herman’s Big Adventure?
6. Which actress played the same role as Lindsay Lohan in the original Freaky Friday?
7. What was Chihiro’s slave name in Spirited Away?
8. What was the name of the bar that the crew of the Andrea Gail hung out at in The Perfect Storm?
THE CROW’S NEST
9. What did Lloyd (played by John Cusack) famously hold above his head to win back Diane in Say Anything… ?
10. Which actress won an Oscar for her role in Howards End?
11. How many sequels did the 1976 comedy Bad News Bears spawn? [bonus points for correctly naming each one]
TWO [The Bad News Bears In Breaking Training (1977) / The Bad News Bears Go To Japan (1978)]
12. What did Morrie Kessler (played by Chuck Low) sell in Goodfellas?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What instruments do the Siamese cats play in The Aristocats song, Everybody Wants To Be A Cat? [one point per correct answer]
PIANO / DRUMS
2. What was Robin Williams’ job before disguising himself as a maid in Mrs. Doubtfire?
3. What colour are the Gingerbread Man’s gumdrop buttons in Shrek?
4. What were the names of the twins played by Rachel Weisz in Constantine? [one point per correct answer]
ISABEL / ANGELA DODSON
5. Fargo (1996) is the most recent film preserved by the National Film Registry (in the Library Of Congress). The earliest is entitled Blacksmith Scene; in what year was it filmed? [closest answer gets the point]
6. The Psychedelic Furs performed the title music for which John Hughes film?
PRETTY IN PINK
7. What was the name of the reporter trapped on the airline flight with Holly McClane in Die Hard 2: Die Harder?
8. What is the name of Lucy’s (Sandra Bullock) cat in While You Were Sleeping?
9. Which films are the following Arnold Schwarzenegger one-liners from? a.) Please Don’t Wake My Friend, He’s Dead Tired? b.) To Be Or Not To Be.. Not To Be? c.) So, We Meet Again, Carlos? [one point per correct answer]
A = Commando B = Last Action Hero C = True Lies
*audience participation* – three points for reading out the lines with an ‘Ahnuld’ voice on stage
10. What year was The Poseidon Adventure released? [closest answer gets the point]
11. The English patient in the film of the same name keeps a book of Histories by which Greek historian?
12. In The Crying Game, Jody tells Fergus a story about a frog helping another creature across a river; which creature was it?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which is the last deadly sin committed in Se7en? Envy? Wrath? Pride?
WRATH [Gluttony / Greed / Sloth / Lust / Pride / Envy / Wrath]
2. Who sang the theme for Pearl Harbour, There You’ll Be? Faith Hill? Leann Rimes? Mariah Carey?
3. Which of the following was the top grossing romantic comedy of 2000? Miss Congeniality? What Women Want? She’s All That?
WHAT WOMEN WANT
4. How many letters does Gerry write to Holly in P.S. I Love You? 5? 10? 15?
5. Woody Allen’s Love And Death is set in which country? America? France? Russia?
6. Which of the following actors has not played the role of Alexander The Great? William Shatner? Richard Burton? Montgomery Clift?
MONTGOMERY CLIFT (Burton in 1956, Shatner in 1968)
7. Steven Spielberg’s Munich was based on George Jonas’ book. What was the title? Justice? Mossad? Vengeance?
8. Holly Hunter plays Ada McGrath in The Piano but which of the following applies to her character? Deaf? Blind? Mute?
9. Which of the following was D.W. Griffith’s most critically acclaimed piece, prompting one critic to state it was “the only motion picture worthy of taking its place alongside Beethoven’s Fifth Symphony and the masterpieces of Michelangelo as a separate work of art”? Birth Of A Nation (1915)? Intolerance (1916)? The Greatest Thing In Life (1918)?
10. Who directed Cinema Paradiso? Guiseppe Tornatore? Gillo Pontecorvo? Roberto Benigni?
11. What name is given to the final shot of the day? Mezzanine Shot? Martini Shot? Money Shot?
12. The 1950’s were the golden age for American Traditional, Revisionist and B Westerns. Which half of the decade saw more? Early 50’s (1950-1954)? Late 50’s (1955-1959)?
EARLY 50’s – 367 [Late 50’s – 254]