[31 January 2010]
Wouldn’t It Have Been Funny If Stanley Kubrick Died In 2001
Genre – A Porn Odyssey
Full Metal Gear Solid
Genre – Harrowing War Drama With Giant Robots And Clones
A Clockwork Orange II: Electric Droogaloos
Genre – Ultraviolent Dance Sequel
Genre – A Failed Hollywood Kubrick Remake
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the title of the fictional show that Galaxy Quest was based on?
2. What is the unofficial nickname given to the Academy Award statuettes?
3. A Hard Day’s Night features which band?
4. What is the name of the school that Harry Potter attends?
HOGWARTS SCHOOL OF WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
5. What is the current top-grossing film of all time?
6. What is the name of the little girl that befriends Sully and Mike in Monsters, Inc?
7. Which family action film pits Robin Williams against a treacherous board game?
8. Who directed Shaun Of The Dead and Hot Fuzz?
9. Which actor plays Gilbert’s mentally handicapped brother in What’s Eating Gilbert Grape?
LEONARDO DI CAPRIO
10. In Don Bluth’s 1997 animated film Anastasia, who provides the voice for the lead role?
11. What does Aunt Voula offer to cook when she learns that Ian is a vegetarian in My Big Fat Greek Wedding?
12. What subject does Elle study at Harvard in Legally Blonde?
ROUND II: Filming [Stanley Kubrick Special]
1. Which Kubrick release features the quotes ‘What’s up, Doc?’ and ‘Here’s Johnny’?
2. Kubrick’s 2001: A Space Odyssey is based on the book of the same name by which author?
ARTHUR C. CLARKE
3. Which actor played Professor Humbert Humbert in Lolita?
4. 1971 saw the release of Kubrick’s only X rated film. What was the title?
A CLOCKWORK ORANGE
5. In what year did Stanley Kubrick die?
6. Which two Kubrick films starred Kirk Douglas? [one point per correct answer]
PATHS OF GLORY / SPARTACUS
7. How many times was Kubrick married?
THREE (Toba Metz 48-51 / Ruth Sobotka 54-57 / Christiane Harlan 58-99)
8. What 3 words are written on Private Joker’s helmet in Full Metal Jacket?
BORN TO KILL
9. The Killing was an adaptation of which novel?
10. For his three roles in Dr. Strangelove, Peter Sellers received one million dollars. What percentage of the film’s budget is that?
FIFTY FIVE PER CENT
11. What was the title of Kubrick’s first feature-length narrative film?
FEAR AND DESIRE
12. What was the password to gain entry to the mansion in Eyes Wide Shut?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Name any film directed by Terrence Malick. [one point for correctly named title, one additional point for the least common answer]
THE NEW WORLD (2005) / THE THIN RED LINE (1998) / DAYS OF HEAVEN (1978) / BADLANDS (1973) [Lanton Mills does not count as it’s 12mins long]
2. Only two film trilogies have received Best Picture Oscar nominations for each instalment. Name them. [one point per correct answer]
THE GODFATHER / THE LORD OF THE RINGS
3. Which actor turned down the role of Rhett Butler and went on to say “Gone With The Wind is going to be the biggest flop in Hollywood history”?
4. Which actor starred in Just My Luck, Smokin’ Aces and Star Trek?
5. Which member of the marine troupe that lands on LV-426 is the first to die in Aliens? [clue: Corporal Cynthia Dietrich / Private Ricco Frost / Private Daniel Spunkmeyer]
FROST (although Dietrich is the first to be attacked, it’s her flamethrower that kills Frost)
6. What were the names of the three lead cops in LA Confidential — played by Kevin Spacey, Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce? [one point for each first/last name given]
JACK VINCENNES (Spacey) / WENDELL ‘BUD’ WHITE (Crowe) / EDMUND EXLEY (Pearce)
7. The word prop is an abbreviation of what?
8. Which living composer currently holds the most Academy Award nominations for best original score? [bonus point for stating how many nominations]
THOMAS NEWMAN [Nine]
9. To date only two films have won the Academy Award for Best Motion Picture as well as the Cannes Festival’s Palme d’Or; The Lost Weekend and Marty. What year was each released? [one point per correct answer]
THE LOST WEEKEND (1945) / MARTY (1955)
10. Which film features the following quote: “As a drug user, you get used to things like seeing your dead grandmother crawling up your leg with a knife in her teeth.. but nobody should be asked to handle this trip”
FEAR AND LOATHING IN LAS VEGAS
11. The Lord Of The Rings: Return Of The King features the largest prop ever built for a motion picture. What was it?
DEAD OLIPHANT CARCASS
12. Keeping with the princess theme, Enchanted features three cameo roles. Robert’s secretary, Sam, a soap opera character named Angela and a pregnant woman with five children. In which Disney films did these actresses play the lead? [one point per correct answer]
THE LITTLE MERMAID (Sam) / BEAUTY AND THE BEAST (Angela) / POCAHONTAS (Pregnant Lady)
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Which of the following Fight Club anecdotes is false: a.) Whilst shooting in an urban residential area, one of the tenants was arrested for throwing a beer bottle at the crew, cutting open the director of photography. b.) To help Ed Norton adjust to the ending, he insisted his prop briefcase was filled with soap. c.) Prior to filming, Brad Pitt asked his dentist to purposely chip his front tooth.
2. A Night At The Roxbury is a film adaptation of a sketch that appeared on which show? Whose Line Is It Anyway? MADtv? Saturday Night Live?
SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE
3. In Pleasantville, Tobey Maguire narrates two books which are considered the most widely banned books in the United States. Which of the following does not feature? The Adventures Of Huckleberry Finn? Lady Chatterley’s Lover? The Catcher In The Rye?
LADY CHATTERLEY’S LOVER
4. According to Sallah, what breed of snakes inhabit the Well Of Souls in Raiders Of The Lost Ark? Cobras? Asps? Pythons?
5. Bill Murray’s role of Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters was originally written for which actor? Dan Ackroyd? John Belushi? John Candy?
6. How many wishes does the devil grant Elliot/Stanley (depending on whether referring to the original or remake) in Bedazzled? 6? 7? 8?
7. Who played Steve Martin’s role in the original Father Of The Bride? Spencer Tracy? William Holden? George Sanders?
8. Which archangel does Christopher Walken play in 1995’s The Prophecy? Michael? Gabriel? Raphael?
9. Private Parts focuses on the life of which US media personality? Al Sharpton? Howard Stern? Jay Leno?
10. 1998’s The Negotiator opens with a dedication to J.T. Walsh. What was his job? Director Of Photography? Actor? Sound Editor?
11. Which Kirstie Alley/John Travolta film didn’t feature talking babies? Look Who’s Talking? Look Who’s Talking Now? Look Who’s Talking Too?
LOOK WHO’S TALKING NOW
12. In one particular scene in Snakes On A Plane, one of the flight attendants throws a snake into the microwave and presses a snake preset button. True or False?