[20 December 2009]
Lost In Oz: The Star Gun Trilogy
Genre – Sci-Fi/Homo-Erotic/Fantasy Set In Foreign Land/Lost Identities And Red Sparkling Shoes
Boogie Night’s Boys
Genre – Tim Burton Xmas Porno
Unobtanium Miners Union Wildcat Christmas Strike
Genre – Sci-Fi Working Class Documentary
Excuse Me, Excuse Me… I Burped
Genre – Rip Off
Genre – Spaghetti Western (In The Lake District)
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. In 2002’s Spiderman, Peter Parker gains super powers after being bitten by which genetically mutated animal?
2. Oliver Stone’s JFK focuses on the assassination of which US President?
JOHN F KENNEDY
3. Where were the Apollo 13 crew heading?
4. Which two actors are trying to get home for Thanksgiving in Planes, Trains And Automobiles? [one point per correct answer]
STEVE MARTIN / JOHN CANDY
5. What does Anton Chigurh use to decide the fate of the petrol station proprietor in No Country For Old Men?
6. What breed of dog is Beethoven?
7. Guest House Paradiso was a spin-off of which British TV series?
8. The Last Emperor is Bertolucci’s biopic about the last Emperor of which country?
9. What was the name of the villain in Disney’s Aladdin? [bonus point for naming his parrot]
10. How many Bond songs has Shirley Bassey sung?
3 (Goldfinger / Diamonds Are Forever / Moonraker)
11. What type of animal terrorises the town in Lake Placid?
12. According to National Treasure, what can be found on the back of the American Declaration Of Independence?
ROUND II: Filming
1. What was the US title of Richard Curtis film The Boat That Rocked?
2. Which sport is the main focus of Coach Carter?
3. Who played the role of the obsessed photo developer in One Hour Photo?
4. What is Robin Williams’ profession in Patch Adams?
5. Who plays Macaulay Culkin’s father in Getting Even With Dad?
6. What colour was Tom Cruise’s armour in The Last Samurai?
7. Which US President are Robert Redford and Dustin Hoffman building evidence against in All The President’s Men?
RICHARD M NIXON
8. The Ghost And The Darkness was a 1996 film about a pair of man-eating what?
LIONS (Tsavo Lions to be exact)
9. Who played Dave in Alvin & The Chipmunks?
10. Which divided nation is at the centre of Chan-Wook Park’s JSA?
11. Which 1986 animated film tells the story of a Russian-Jewish family of mice making their way to America?
AN AMERICAN TAIL
12. Both stars of Frost/Nixon, Frank Langella & Michael Sheen have played vampires in separate films, name them both. [one point per correct answer]
DRACULA , TWILIGHT: NEW MOON 
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Which two languages feature most heavily in Passion Of The Christ? [one point per correct answer]
LATIN / ARAMAIC
2. What was Arnold Schwarzenegger’s first English speaking role?
HERCULES IN NEW YORK 
3. According to the 2000 film X-Men, what happens to a toad when struck by lightning?
THE SAME THING THAT HAPPENS TO EVERYTHING ELSE
4. What was the name of the gun-toting sense-offender police in Equilibrium?
5. Mac And Me (the 1988 rip on ET) featured a clown dancing for ten minutes in a McDonalds outlet. What was the name of the clown?
6. Hugh Jackman’s character in 2008’s Australia doesn’t actually have a name. What is he known as throughout the film?
7. What is the name of Judge Smales’ yacht in Caddyshack?
THE FLYING WASP
8. There have been around 50 films set specifically during or after a nuclear holocaust. Which decade saw the most?
EIGHTIES (fifteen releases) [60’s – 12]
9. Terminator 2: Judgement Day earned a staggering amount more than the original and remains the only sequel to surpass its predecessor by this much. What was the box-office improvement percentage? (closest answer gets the point – this question excludes releases such as Desperado and Clerks II, due to the ltd release of the originals)
434% [Terminator – $38million / Terminator II – $204million]
10. What names were given to the two shuttles in Armageddon? [one point per correct answer]
FREEDOM / INDEPENDENCE
11. What is the exact spelling of the 1999 Jude Law film eXistenZ
12. Which mountain range did the plane crash into in Alive?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. In The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, the title character is played by Lee Marvin. He famously carried a pistol and what else? Whip? Lasso? Dynamite?
2. Which of Jack’s possessions does Ennis keep hold of at the end of Brokeback Mountain? Shirt? Trousers? Boots?
3. Tank Girl is based on the comics of the same name by Alan Martin and which artist? Jamie Hewlett? Jill Thompson? Mark Buckingham?
4. In 1924 MGM released 33 films. April 14th saw the first, which of the following was it? Along Came Ruth? The Arab? Mademoiselle Midnight?
5. Which of the following films was not remade (Sweded) by Jack Black and Mos Def in Be Kind Rewind? Boyz N The Hood? Rush Hour 2? Rocky?
6. What was the name of the horse that was beheaded in The Godfather? Bucephalus? Khartoum? Rocinante?
KHARTOUM (the other two belong to Alexander The Great and Don Quixote)
7. In 2001’s Blow, Johnny Depp’s character explains all young women in California are what? Stewardesses? Prostitutes? Actresses?
8. What is the name of Napoleon Dynamite’s Llama? Tina? Missy? Shirley?
9. In 1931 one US State banned Frankenstein for its portrayal of cruelty. Was it Kansas? Missouri? Nebraska?
10. Frank Capra’s It Happened One Night was the first film to win the ‘Big Five’ Oscars but how many was it actually nominated for? Five? Seven? Ten?
11. How many members of the squad in Kelly’s Heroes died in the minefield? Three? Five? Seven?
12. What is Soylent Green? Nutritious and Delicious? People?
Maximum Potential Points:
ROUND I: 14
ROUND II: 13
ROUND III: 14
ROUND IV: 12
BONUS CHRISTMAS ROUND I
1. 1951’s Scrooge is an adaptation of A Christmas Carol written by which author?
2. What is the name of the building taken over by terrorists in Die Hard?
3. What is the name of Will Farrell’s character in Elf?
4. Which actor narrates the 1966 How The Grinch Stole Christmas?
5. Which king does Peter O’Toole play in The Lion In Winter? Richard I? Henry II? George III?
6. Chris Sarandon plays the voice of Jack Skellington in The Nightmare Before Christmas but who provides the vocals to the songs?
7. Who plays Ebenezer Scrooge in A Muppet Christmas Carol?
8. How many days did it take to shoot Black Christmas? 40? 60? 80?
9. What is the name of the toy that Arnold Schwarzenegger can’t get hold of in Jingle All The Way?
TURBO MAN DOLL
10. What did Clark forget when fetching a tree in National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation?
11. What type of pizza does Kevin order in Home Alone?
12. How does George lose his hearing in It’s A Wonderful Life?
HE JUMPS INTO ICE WATER TO SAVE HIS BROTHER
BONUS CHRISTMAS ROUND II
1. According to Richard Curtis how many official plot threads are used in Love, Actually?
TEN (Bill Nighy / Keira Knightley / Colin Firth / Alan Rickman / Hugh Grant / Liam Neeson / Laura Linney / Colin goes to America / Martin Freeman / Rufus by Rowan Atkinson)
2. Who plays Patch, the head elf, in 1985’s Santa Claus?
3. How do Matthew Broderick and Danny DeVito compete against each other in Deck The Halls?
TRYING TO HAVE THE BEST CHRISTMAS DISPLAY
4. Who plays Edmund Gwenn’s character in the 1994 remake of Miracle On 34th Street? [two bonus points for naming the parade he features in]
RICHARD ATTENBOROUGH [Macy’s parade / Cole’s parade]
5. Due to a late casting change there was no time to change the look of the animatronic snowman used as a double for Michael Keaton in 1998’s Jack Frost. Which other Batman actor was originally cast in the role?
6. Which reindeer gives Tim Allen’s character the most grief in The Santa Clause?
7. Who wrote the song White Christmas, sung by Bing Crosby?
8. What gift does ‘the boy’ ask for from Father Christmas in The Polar Express?
9. What is Chris Brander’s job in Just Friends?
10. What did Ralphie give his teacher for Christmas in A Christmas Story?
A FRUIT BASKET
11. Although all were considered, which of the following taglines was actually used for Bad Santa? He Doesn’t Care If You’re Naughty Or Nice? Would You Sit On His Lap? He Just Wants Some Ho Ho Hos?
HE DOESN’T CARE IF YOU’RE NAUGHTY OR NICE
12. Filming of Ernest Saves Christmas ground to a halt when what happened to the reindeer? Caught Lime Disease? Shed Their Antlers? Were Shot On Location By Game Hunters?
SHED THEIR ANTLERS (replacements had to be made and attached)