[06 December 2009]
The Scourging Of The Shire.. LaBeouf
Genre – Transformers/Middle Earth Crossover
Displaced: Film Critic Replaced By Christmas Tree
Genre – Art House (6 Hours Long)
The Beaux Of St Hubbins
Genre – Rockumentary.. If You Will
You Don’t Scare Me, I’ve Been Hit By Jim Cameron’s Stick
Genre – The Most Expensive Film Ever.. Until My Next One
The Lion, The Witch & The Chaise Lounge
Genre – Jazz Musical
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Who gains immense strength from years of pushing the wheel of pain in Conan The Barbarian?
CONAN THE BARBARIAN
2. What type of animal is Flipper?
3. Who plays Jason Bourne in The Bourne Identity? [three bonus points for correctly naming Bourne’s real name]
MATT DAMON [David Webb]
4. What was the name of the detective played by Eddie Murphy in Beverley Hills Cop?
5. Who is Elliot Ness investigating in Brian De Palma’s The Untouchables?
6. What is Indy searching for in Indiana Jones & The Last Crusade?
THE HOLY GRAIL (he also found the Cross Of Coronado but he wasn’t exactly looking for it)
7. What does Violet explain she wants to be when she applies for a job at Coyote Ugly?
A SONG WRITER
8. What was the name of the character that introduced Bill & Ted to the time travelling phone booth in Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure?
9. In which university is Robert Langdon Professor of Religious Iconography and Symbology in The Da Vinci Code?
10. What was the full name and title of Johnny Depp’s character in the Pirates Of The Caribbean series?
CAPTAIN JACK SPARROW
11. The Doors focuses on the rise to fame of which musician?
12. During the credits for Cannonball Run, what does Burt Reynolds do to stop Dom DeLuise laughing continually?
ROUND II: Filming
1. What is the significance of the 130 roles played out in 1939’s The Women?
ENTIRELY FEMALE CAST
2. According to 1982’s Annie, you’re never fully dressed without what?
3. Which film afforded Angelina Jolie her only Oscar to date?
4. Name the director of 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up and Funny People.
5. How many middle names does actor Kiefer Sutherland have?
FIVE [Kiefer William Fredrick Dempsey George Rufus Sutherland]
6. The Catbus features in which Hayao Miyazaki film?
MY NEIGHBOUR TOTORO
7. In the film of the same name, who or what is Priscilla, Queen Of The Desert?
8. Dennis Quaid and Giovanni Ribisi played the lead roles in the 2004 remake, Flight Of The Phoenix. Who played the same roles in the 1965 original? [one point per correct answer]
JAMES STEWART / RICHARD ATTENBOROUGH
9. In The Cider House Rules, Michael Caine says, “Good Night, you princes of Maine, you kings of..” where?
10. Why does Aunt Martha wear high collars in Arsenic And Old Lace?
TO CONCEAL ACID SCARS
11. What is the full title of the Wallace & Gromit release that won the 2006 Best Animated Feature Oscar?
WALLACE & GROMIT IN THE CURSE OF THE WERE-RABBIT
12. Which French actress sent her Oscar statuette back, taking advantage of the gratis lifetime mend and repair offer?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Which film holds the current record for most Golden Raspberries? [clue: Showgirls, Battlefield Earth, I Know Who Killed Me]
I KNOW WHO KILLED ME (8 wins) [Battlefield Earth – 7 / Showgirls – 7]
2. What is the name of the crystal embedded in the actor’s hands in Logan’s Run?
3. Jessica Tandy is both the oldest nominee for the Best Supporting Actress Oscar and oldest winner of the Best Leading Actress Award. She was up for both at the age of 80, name both films.
DRIVING MISS DAISY / FRIED GREEN TOMATOES
4. And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty. And it stayed its hand from killing. And from that it day it was as one dead. This is the opening caption for which film? [3 bonus points for identifying its origin]
KING KONG [A fictional proverb created by the producers]
5. In Black Hawk Down, Grimes (Ewan McGreggor) complains he didn’t see any action during Desert Storm or Panama because he was too busy doing what?
6. What was the origin of the nickname for the wizard in Fantasia short The Sorcerer’s Apprentice? (his nickname being Yen Sid)
IT’S ‘DISNEY’ BACKWARD
7. The paperboy in Better Off Dead continually hassles John Cusack’s character for how many dollars?
8. Dumb & Dumber stars Jeff Daniels and Jim Carrey as Harry and Lloyd. What are their surnames?
HARRY DUNNE / LLOYD CHRISTMAS
9. After construction, the one thousand tonne floating set used for Waterworld was found without one vital element. What was it?
TOILETS (there was no steel left over to build anything else, so filming had to stop so the cast and crew could be ferried to a nearby barge with several porta-cabins)
10. Name the two films in which Jeff Goldblum says, “Faster, must go faster” [bonus points for the years they were released]
JURASSIC PARK  / INDEPENDENCE DAY 
11. The actor who portrayed Ian, one of the bullies from Weird Science, went on to great cinematic success. Who played him?
ROBERT DOWNEY JNR
12. To date, how many Godzilla Vs. films have been released? [bonus point for each correctly named opponent]
FOURTEEN [King Kong / Mothra / The Sea Monster / Hedorah / Gigan / Megalon / Mechagodzilla / Biollante / King Ghidorah / Mothra II / Mechagodzilla II / SpaceGodzilla / Destroyah / Megaguirus]
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. What was the original title of 2004 comedy, Dodgeball? Underdog? Long Shot? Balls?
2. What is the name of the plane in Con Air? The Flying Fortress? The Jailbird? Con Air?
3. Chocolat is based on the novel of the same name by which author? Madeline Wickham? Sophie Kinsella? Joanne Harris?
4. The line, “Whaddya hear, whaddya say” features heavily in which James Cagney release? Angels With Dirty Faces? Public Enemy? The Roaring Twenties?
ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES
5. What is the name of Dorothy’s apartment building in Blue Velvet? Blue Shore Apartments? Deep River Apartments? Black Lake Apartments?
DEEP RIVER APARTMENTS
6. How does El Indio start his duels in For A Few Dollars More? Throws a can in the air and waits for it to fall? He counts down from ten but always shoots on two? Wait for the tune in a pocket watch to finish playing?
7. Which agency does Gibbons (played by Samuel L. Jackson) work for in action flick xXx? NSA? CIA? FBI?
NSA (National Security Agency)
8. Which Steve Martin comedy is a remake of 1964’s Bedtime Story? The Jerk? Dirty Rotten Scoundrels? House Sitter?
DIRTY ROTTEN SCOUNDRELS
9. In Dead Poets Society what does John Keating instruct his pupils to do with the first essay in their poetry textbooks? Complete it in French? Ignore it and start from the back of the book? Tear it out?
TEAR IT OUT (he is opposed to the notion that students are expected to place the quality of a poem on a scale and rate it with a number)
10. In A Few Good Men, Colonel Jessop (played by Jack Nicholson) famously quips, “You don’t want the truth because deep down in places you don’t talk about at parties you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall. We use words like…” Three words follow, which of the following is the correct order? Honour, Code, Loyalty? Loyalty, Honour, Code? Code, Honour, Loyalty?
HONOUR, CODE, LOYALTY
11. For the downpour scenes in Rashomon, Akria Kurosawa noted the rain would not show up on film. How did he get around this issue? Large mirrors were used to reflect light and highlight the drops? He added black ink to the water? A glass pane was erected in front of the camera to catch the rain?
BLACK INK WAS ADDED TO THE WATER
12. Whilst writing The Blue Dahlia, Raymond Chandler had to stop for several weeks before finally completing the script. Was it due to overwhelming clinical depression or that he felt he couldn’t finish the script until he was suitably drunk?
DRUNK (Chandler stated it was the only way he could get the inspiration necessary to finish)