[11 October 2009]
The Tealight Saga II: Suck My Bag
Genre – Paranormal Romance
Genre – Horror Resurrection
My Flexible Friend
Genre – Degenerate Bone Disease Drama
The Good, The Bad & The Goddamn Awful
Genre – Educational Thriller
Mmm.. Don’t Think We’ll Win
Genre – Vietnam Drama
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What was Wladyslaw Szpilman’s profession before the war in Roman Polanski’s The Pianist?
2. Solyaris was remade in 2002 with which actor in the leading role?
3. What is Martin Blank’s profession in Grosse Point Blank?
4. Who does Stephen the Irishman claim he can talk to in Braveheart?
5. According to Atticus Finch’s father, it would be a sin to kill which species of bird?
A MOCKING BIRD
6. In Bruges is set in which country?
7. Which comedian starred in What Dreams May Come?
8. The Departed is a remake of which Hong Kong film?
9. Who directed Metropolis, M – Eine Stadt sucht einen Mörder and The Big Heat?
10. Which actor dressed in drag for his role in 2007’s Hairspray?
11. What was the name of the song by Scott Joplin heavily used throughout The Sting?
12. The two lead actresses of the 1962 release, Whatever Happened To Baby Jane? famously entered
into a bitter feud. Name them. [one point per correct answer]
BETTE DAVIS / JOAN CRAWFORD
ROUND II: Filming
1. In the film Pitch Black we learn that whilst in prison, Richard B. Riddick received a shine job. What does this allow him to do?
SEE IN THE DARK
2. During their trip to a safari park, Katherine and Damien Thorn are attacked by baboons in which film?
3. Der Untergang focuses on the final hours of Adolf Hitler, portrayed by Bruno Ganz. What nationality is he?
4. Which actor narrated Wes Anderson’s The Royal Tenenbaums?
5. Both Matt Damon & Heath Ledger starred in The Brothers Grimm. Which actor played Jacob Grimm?
6. Rope was set in Chicago, Rear Window is set in New York, where is Vertigo set?
7. During filming of Lola Rennt (Run, Lola, Run), Franka Potente couldn’t wash her hair because the intense red hair dye was so sensitive to water. How many weeks was she unable to wash it?
8. Martin Sheen played Southern General Robert E. Lee in 1993’s Gettysburg. Which actor played the same role in the 2003 sequel, Gods & Generals?
9. Moulin Rouge was nominated for 8 Oscars. How many did it win?
10. How many chariots featured in the chariot race in Ben-Hur?
11. Name the three films that starred both Al Pacino & Robert De Niro [one point per correct answer]
THE GODFATHER PART II / HEAT / RIGHTEOUS KILL
12. In Monty Python’s Life Of Brian, Reg asks ‘What have the Romans ever given us?’ What is the first thing mentioned?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. In The Third Man Harry Lime notes that ‘for thirty years under the Borgias, the Italians had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed but they produced Michelangelo, Da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love and five hundred years of democracy and peace. And what did they produce?’
THE CUCKOO CLOCK
2. What US brand of chocolate bar is Sloth fed in The Goonies?
3. The first father/son Oscar win – where the son won for best director and the father for best supporting actor in the same film – was attributed to which movie?
THE TREASURE OF THE SIERRA MADRE
4. Spike Lee’s 25th Hour depicts Monty Brogan’s last day before what happens?
HE IS SENT TO PRISON
5. For how many days was Dave imprisoned and abused at the start of Mystic River?
6. The short story The Wisdom Of Eve was adapted to become which critically acclaimed film?
ALL ABOUT EVE
7. In the film of the same name, the wizard of Oz awards three items to the Scarecrow, the Tin Man and the Cowardly Lion. What were they? [one point per correct answer]
A DIPLOMA / A TICKING HEART / A MEDAL
8. Why did Dwayne break his vow of silence in Little Miss Sunshine?
BECAUSE HE FAILED AN EYE TEST (meaning he could not apply to be a fighter pilot)
9. What’s the name of the groundhog in Bill Murray comedy Groundhog Day?
10. In Bonnie & Clyde, what did Clyde do to get released from prison?
HAD ANOTHER PRISONER CUT OFF HIS TOES
11. On his arrival in Morocco General Patton says it’s like a cross between which two things? [one point per correct answer]
THE BIBLE / HOLLYWOOD
12. Akira Kurosawa’s Ran is an adaptation of which Shakespearean play?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Notes On A Scandal sees Cate Blanchett’s character having ‘relations’ with one of her students, Steven Connolly. How old is Steven? 14? 15? 16?
2. The title of Terry Gilliam’s The Fisher King comes from the legend of which King? Arthur? Henry? Burger?
3. In Unforgiven, Ned Logan is beaten to death by Sherriff Bill Daggett. What did he use to do this? A bottle? The butt of his gun? A whip?
4. In Lawrence Of Arabia, how did Lawrence respond when asked what attracted him to the desert? I like the heat? It’s clean? It called to me?
5. During the making of A Knight’s Tale, only one jousting related injury occurred. Which of the following was it? Heath Ledger knocked two of the director’s teeth out during rehearsal? A stuntman’s armour was pierced and he was rushed to hospital? The props master dropped one of the jousting lances, breaking his foot?
6. El Laberinto Del Fauno (Pan’s Labyrinth) is set during which military conflict? World War II? The Spanish Civil War? The Peninsular War?
SPANISH CIVIL WAR
7. During The Great Escape, Ives reveals to Hilts his occupation before the war whilst in the cooler. What was it? Actor? Boxer? Jockey?
8. In Lost In Translation, Bill Murray’s character, Bob Harris, travels to Tokyo to promote what type of alcohol? Whiskey? Vodka? Beer? [bonus point if you can name the brand]
WHISKEY [Suntory Whiskey]
9. What year did Kirk Douglas and Tony Curtis star in The Vikings? 1958? 1959? 1960?
10. In Scarface, Tony Montana’s first big drugs deal forces him to deal with people he hates. Which country do they come from? Cuba? Colombia? Nicaragua?
11. In the film, The Jerk, Steve Martin’s character gets a job at a carnival guessing people’s weight, height and what else? Future? Age? Sex?
12. Which star of About Schmidt stripped down to bare all? Jack Nicholson? Kathy Bates?