[25 October 2009]
The Postman Strikes Again
Genre – Horror
Hammer II: Please Hammer, Don’t Hurt Them
Genre – 80’s Rapper Revenge Flick
Nut Up Or Shut Up
Genre – Action
Genre – Horror
I Know What You Did Last Sunday
Genre – Religious Horror
Genre – Horror
HORROR ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What insect found its way into the teleportation device with Seth Brundle in The Fly?
2. John Carpenter’s Village Of The Damned is a remake of which 1960 release?
VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED
3. The Amityville Horror is based on a true story: True or False?
4. Nosferatu is an adaptation of which novel? [bonus point for naming the author]
DRACULA [Bram Stoker]
5. Underworld depicts an underground war between which two factions? [one point per correct answer]
VAMPIRES / LYCANS
6. What month of 1966 was Rosemary’s baby due to be born in the film of the same name?
7. What does Roddy Piper’s character use to see the subliminal messages and skull-faced aliens in They Live?
8. Who composed the iconic theme music for Halloween?
9. Name the lead killer in The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.
10. Name the lead killer in Friday The 13th.
MRS. VOORHEES (Jason’s Mother)
11. How many blades can be found on Freddy Krueger’s glove in Nightmare On Elm Street?
12. Invasion Of The Body Snatchers is based on which novel by Jack Finney?
THE BODY SNATCHERS
HORROR ROUND II: Filming
1. Where is Dawn Of The Dead set?
A SHOPPING MALL
2. What does Sweeney Todd use to kill his victims?
3. According to The Blair Witch Project, the three students went missing in what month of 1994?
4. Name both actors who played eccentric millionaires in 1959’s and 1999’s House On Haunted Hill. [one point per correct answer]
VINCENT PRICE / GEOFFREY RUSH
5. In The Crow, Eric Draven and Shelley Webster are murdered on 30th October. What name is given to this day?
6. Skeet Ulrich and Neve Campbell co-starred in which film before the release of Scream?
7. According to Repo! The Genetic Opera, what does the repo man collect?
8. According to the film of the same name, the Event Horizon went missing in 2040. Seven years later it reappeared orbiting which planet?
9. The three Sanderson sisters in Hocus Pocus are played by Bette Midler, Kathy Najimy and who else?
SARAH JESSICA PARKER
10. What was the name of the straight-to-dvd film that followed I Know What You Did Last Summer and I Still Know What You Did Last Summer?
I’LL ALWAYS KNOW WHAT YOU DID LAST SUMMER
11. Who cameoed as the headless horseman in Sleepy Hollow?
12. In Jeepers Creepers, which particular part of the body is the Creeper interested in?
HORROR ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Tony Todd played The Candyman in 1992 but his performance in which 1990 horror remake caught the director’s eye?
NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD
2. The killer doll in Child’s Play was named Chucky; what was the name of the serial killer whose soul was trapped in the doll?
CHARLES LEE RAY
3. Before appearing in Angel Heart, Lisa Bonet had to ask permission to do so from the creator of the TV series she was cast in. Which TV series was it?
THE COSBY SHOW
4. What was the name of the man-eating plant in Little Shop Of Horrors?
5. In Robert Rodriguez’s From Dusk ‘Till Dawn, Salma Hayek’s character (Santanico Pandemonium) taunts George Clooney by stating she’ll keep him as a pet with a dog’s name. What was the name?
6. What year is Let The Right One In set?
7. When discussing a possible adaptation of the events in Scream, Sydney suspects she would more than likely be played by which actress?
8. Which of the following was not a Universal Horror Film: The Mummy’s Tomb? The Mummy’s Ghost? The Mummy’s Shroud?
THE MUMMY’S SHROUD
9. What is the name of the fictional Hebridean island in which The Wicker Man is set?
10. What is Carrie’s surname from the film of the same name?
11. The lead singer of which band helped score the soundtrack for cannibal horror, Ravenous?
BLUR [Damon Albarn & Michael Nyman]
12. 1975, Tom Skerritt, Ernest Borgnine, William Shatner, John Travolta. Name the film.
THE DEVIL’S RAIN
HORROR ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Children Of The Corn is based on the short story by which author? Stephen King? Dean Koontz? Richard Laymon?
2. What are the jigsaw killer’s initials in the movie, Saw? JJ? JK? JC?
JK (John Kramer)
3. Which of the following did Alfred Hitchcock use for blood in Psycho? Vanilla Essence thickened with Cornflour? Heinz Tomato Ketchup? Bosco’s Chocolate Syrup?
BOSCO’S CHOCOLATE SYRUP
4. Night Of The Living Dead takes place in which US state? Louisiana? Pennsylvania? Michigan?
5. Which of the following is not attributed to The Omen curse? The day after the crew filmed the baboon safari shot, a lion attacked and killed one of the wardens? Gregory Peck cancelled his reservation on a flight that ended up crashing, killing all onboard? The prop noose for the nanny’s hanging scene slipped and began to throttle the stuntwoman?
6. Howard Hawk’s The Thing From Another World was based on the novella by which author? James Cornwall? John Campbell? Jack Cramer?
JOHN W. CAMPBELL JNR
7. Which actress was originally up for the role of Elizabeth in 1931’s Frankenstein? Bette Davis? Barbara Stanwyck? Fay Wray?
8. Which room does Dick Hallorann tell Danny to stay out of in The Shining? 234? 237? 239?
9. Which of the following characters did Boris Karloff not portray? Dr. Jekyll? Frankenstein? Imhotep?
FRANKENSTEIN (Karloff played The Monster)
10. What was the name of the boat in Creature From The Black Lagoon? The Rita? The Nestor? The Shiner?
11. In which country is 1941’s The Wolf Man set? Scotland? Wales? Ireland?
12. Which of Anton Tobias’ hands becomes possessed in Idle Hands? Left? Right?
Maximum Potential Points:
ROUND I: 12
ROUND II: 14
ROUND III: 20
ROUND IV: 12
BONUS HORROR ROUND I
1. In The Frighteners, what was Frank Bannister’s occupation before his wife died?
2. What is the name of Ash’s girlfriend in The Evil Dead?
3. Why was Jim in hospital at the start of 28 Days Later?
COMATOSE – KNOCKED OFF HIS BIKE
4. Which acting legend was contractually obliged to play a vampire in Return Of Dr. X?
5. Plan 9 From Outer Space starred Bella Lugosi, most famous for playing which character?
6. What was the name of the virus that caused the zombie outbreak in Resident Evil?
7. According to the original Halloween, in which year did Michael Myers stab his sister? [bonus point for correctly guessing her first name]
8. According to The Ninth Gate, how many copies of The Nine Gates Of The Kingdom Of Shadows exist?
THREE (although only one true copy exists, there are three individual books)
9. What does Annie Wilkes do to Paul Sheldon to stop him escaping in Misery?
BREAKS HIS LEGS
10. Dr. Griffin, also known as The Invisible Man, didn’t have a first name in H.G. Wells’ novel. What name was he given in 1933’s Universal release?
11. Which horror film features The Tall Man?
12. What is the name of the book bound in human flesh in Evil Dead?
BONUS HORROR ROUND II
1. End Of Days pits Arnold Schwarzenegger against the devil. Who plays the devil himself?
2. How many times did Takashi Shimizu direct The Grudge?
THREE (Ju-On: 2000 [straight-to-dvd] / Ju-On: 2002 / The Grudge: 2006)
3. Who directed 1998’s The Faculty?
4. The Elite Hunting organisation detailed in Hostel, charge $5000 for Russian victims, $10,000 for Europeans victims. How much do they charge for American victims?
TWENTY FIVE THOUSAND DOLLARS
5. Who plays David, the leader of the vampire gang that torments Michael Emerson, in The Lost Boys?
6. One Curse, One Cure, One Week To Find It was the poster tagline for which Japanese horror flick?
7. How many Hellraiser sequels have been filmed to date? [one point for each correct answer]
SEVEN [Hellbound / Hell On Earth / Bloodline / Inferno / Hellseeker / Deader / Hellworld]
8. What nickname does Regan give her possessor in The Exorcist? [bonus point if you can name the demon’s actual name]
CAPTAIN HOWDY [Pazuzu]
9. Which singer plays Eddie in The Rocky Horror Picture Show?
MEAT LOAF [Marvin Lee Aday]
10. Which of the following stories about John Carpenter’s The Thing is not true: A very well-trained dog called Jed was unavailable to run across the snowy location and a new, untrained dog was painted to look like him – the shot took nearly 20 takes? The characters Mac and Windows are direct joke references to the Apple and Microsoft companies? One of the few Universal films not to open with the Universal logo?
COMPUTERS (the film was made in 1982 before either computer went mainstream)
11. Which 2002 horror film was produced by Joel Silver & Robert Zemeckis?
12. Which of the following directed Corpse Bide? Tim Burton? Tim Burton? Tim Burton?