[27 September 2009]
Genre – Musical Biopic
Inglorious Illegitimate Love-Children
Genre – Educational Romp
It Ended Up Beneath The Floor Boards
Genre – Romantic Comedy Gone Wrong
The Hedge Dweller
Genre – Prog Horror
Reach For Your Cheese
Genre – Animated Mouse Western
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Which breed of bird acts as Eric Draven’s link to our world in The Crow?
2. What kind of party does Bluto want to throw toward the end of Animal House?
3. Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood specialises in the extraction of which natural resource?
4. What is the name of Discovery One’s onboard computer in 2001: A Space Odyssey?
5. Who wrote, directed and starred in Citizen Kane?
6. Charlie Chaplin’s character, Adenoid Hynkel in The Great Dictator is a parody of which historical figure?
7. In addition to Maria and the Captain, how many children complete the Von Trapp family singers, in The Sound Of Music?
8. What sport did Happy Gilmore play before trying his hand at golf?
9. What is Frank’s Halloween costume in Donnie Darko?
10. What is the name of the princess played by Robin Wright in The Princess Bride?
11. Das Boot takes place on which military vehicle?
12. Who plays the lead role in 1938’s The Adventures Of Robin Hood?
ROUND II: Filming
1. What is the source of power captured and harnessed at Monsters Inc. in the film of the same name?
2. To date, Russell Crowe has been nominated for 3 Oscars. How many has he actually won?
3. In Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid we learn that one of the characters cannot swim, which one is it?
THE SUNDANCE KID
4. What animal form does Jareth take in Jim Henson’s Labyrinth?
5. Which two words did a German officer famously use to give away Flight Lt. Sandy MacDonald’s identity in The Great Escape?
6. Frank Sinatra played Major Bennett Marco in 1962’s Manchurian Candidate. Who played the same character in the 2004 remake?
7. Including the upcoming Alice In Wonderland adaptation, how many times have Tim Burton & Johnny Depp worked together?
8. Which Australian actor played Mark ‘Chopper’ Read in the acclaimed crime biopic, Chopper?
9. According to the drill sergeant in Full Metal Jacket, only two things come from Texas. Name them.
STEERS & QUEERS
10. What was the final film directed by Sergio Leone?
ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA
11. 1994 saw the UK release of both Tombstone and Wyatt Earp. Name the two actors who played the famous lawman, Wyatt Earp in either film.
KURT RUSSELL / KEVIN COSTNER
12. When The Bride is buried alive, in Kill Bill: Volume II, she is given one additional item. What is it?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. How many times does Kate Winslet’s character dye her hair in Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind? [bonus points for each correctly named colour]
FOUR [Green, Red, Orange, Blue]
2. What is the one and only rule of the Thunderdome in the third instalment of the Mad Max series?
TWO MEN ENTER, ONE MAN LEAVES
3. John Crowley’s comedic drama, Intermission, is set in which city?
4. What character does Hunter S. Thompson play in his brief cameo for Fear & Loathing In Las Vegas?
HIMSELF (Hunter S. Thompson)
5. What was the name of the lead character in Layer Cake, played by Daniel Craig?
6. For a long time, Hitchcock’s Rope was believed to have been filmed in one single take with no cuts. It was later revealed that this would be impossible as the maximum length of any one reel of film was ten minutes. How many reels were used for the completed film?
7. During filming of The Apartment, Shirley Maclaine allegedly queried Billy Wilder’s direction asking, “Why am I upset in this close-up?” What was his response?
BECAUSE THAT’S WHAT I WANT
8. In Million Dollar Baby, Frankie Dunn gives Maggie a boxing robe with the words Mo Cuishle on the back. What does this mean in English?
MY DARLING / MY BLOOD
9. Which musician cameos as Nikola Tesla in The Prestige?
10. What are the five magic words for the Substitutiary Locomotion spell in Disney’s Bedknobs & Broomsticks? [one point for each word that looks/sounds similar]
TREGUNA, MEKOIDES, TRECORUM, SATIS, DEE
11. What name does Pita affectionately dub her guardian, John Creasy, in Man On Fire?
12. What racial slur was Randall trying to ‘take back’ in the Kevin Smith comedy, Clerks II?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. In Mr. Smith Goes To Washington, the governor decides who to pick for selection at the US senate by tossing a coin. How does it land? Heads? Tails? Edge?
2. In Snatch, Mickey has a large tattoo of what on his back? Jesus? The Virgin Mary? A Celtic Cross?
THE VIRGIN MARY
3. In White Heat, the police tail Cody Jarrett’s mother back to the gang’s new hideout. What did she leave the hideout to obtain? Strawberries? Apples? Whiskey?
4. The opening scene of The Mission famously depicts a man going over a waterfall tied to what? A Cow? A Cross? A Canoe?
5. Who directed Rio Bravo? Howard Hawks? John Ford? John Wayne?
6. In Cool Hand Luke, Paul Newman’s character consumes how many eggs? 40? 50? 60?
7. In American History X, Derrick and his brother are members of what group? The Aryan Brotherhood? Ku Klux Klan? The White League?
8. How are Betty & Judy related in 1954’s White Christmas? Mother & Daughter? Cousins? Sisters?
9. The Last King Of Scotland was the first Western film to be shot in Uganda in how many years? 12? 16? 21?
10. The only reason Das Leben Der Anderen [The Lives Of Others] was completed on such a slim budget was due to the actors agreeing to accept what percentage of their customary pay? 20%? 40%? 60%?
TWENTY PER CENT
11. The alien race featuring in District 9 are derogatorily referred to as what? Squids? Prawns? Shrimp?
12. For 1952’s Singin’ In The Rain, which was written first? The Script? The Songs?
THE SONGS [the story was fashioned around the lyrics]