[30 August 2009]
Pirate Potter & The Giant Squid
Genre – Family Adventure
The Usual Suspects
Genre – Crime Comedy
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. What is the name of the magical, flying car in the 1968 family musical Chitty Chitty Bang Bang?
CHITTY CHITTY BANG BANG
2. The Quiet Man sees John Wayne exploring his roots in which country?
3. What is the name of the infamous chocolatier in Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, played by Johnny Depp and previously Gene Wilder?
4. Who plays the lead role in Amelie?
5. Comedy BASEketball sees the invention of a new sporting event combining which two current sports?
BASEBALL & BASKETBALL
6. During American Beauty, socially awkward student, Ricky famously shows his new girlfriend and neighbour Jane a video recording of what?
A PLASTIC BAG
7. Who directed Annie Hall?
8. What is the rank of the character played by Tom Hanks in Saving Private Ryan?
CAPTAIN JOHN MILLER
9. In the animated classic, Bambi, what animal is Thumper?
10. Which actress won an Oscar for her eight minute cameo in Shakespeare In Love? [bonus point – which character did she play?]
DAME JUDI DENCH [Queen Elizabeth I]
11. Many films have been made about the undead; what is the generally accepted method for killing a zombie?
REMOVE THE HEAD OR DESTROY THE BRAIN
12. What is the name of the cargo ship that features heavily in the science fiction film, Serenity?
ROUND II: Filming
1. According to musical comedy The Producers, the two cardinal rules of being a broadway producer are 1.) Never put your own money in the show. What is the second?
NEVER PUT YOUR OWN MONEY IN THE SHOW!
2. Who played the outlaw Josey Wales?
3. What is the name of the scrap book that houses the Plastic’s cruel opinions in Mean Girls?
THE BURN BOOK
4. In 1970 Rod Steiger played Napoleon Bonaparte in Waterloo. Who played the Duke of Wellington?
5. Name the artists employed to write the soundtrack for The Graduate.
PAUL SIMON & ART GARFUNKEL
6. Manipulative seductress, Kathryn Merteuil, hides what in the crucifix around her neck in Cruel Intentions?
7. Which musician wrote the screenplay for the Australian Western The Proposition?
8. Apocalypse Now is an interpretation of which novel? [bonus point for naming the author]
HEART OF DARKNESS [Joseph Conrad]
9. What does Joe Gillis notice about the doors of Norma Desmond’s house in Sunset Boulevard?
ALL THE HANDLES HAVE BEEN REMOVED
10. 1984 biopic Amadeus focuses on the life of which composer?
WOLFGANG AMADEUS MOZART
11. How much was the milkshake at Jack Rabbit Slim’s in Pulp Fiction?
FIVE DOLLARS [ie. The Five Dollar Shake]
12. During the opening scenes of Withnail & I, in a desperate attempt to find alcoholic sustenance, Withnail finds and drinks what? [bonus point for naming what he wanted after it]
LIGHTER FLUID [Anti-freeze from the toolbox]
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. What brand of hair product does George Clooney’s character prefer in O Brother, Where Art Thou? [bonus point for naming the rival product he will not settle with]
DAPPER DAN [Fop]
2. What three words call off the destructive robot Gort in 1951’s The Day The Earth Stood Still?
KLAATU BARADA NIKTO
3. Which eighties icon cameo’d as the wise janitor in Not Another Teen Movie?
4. In Jim Jarmusch’s Coffee & Cigarettes Jack White invites his sister out for coffee to show her what?
HIS TESLA COIL
5. Sean Connery starred in The Longest Day opposite two future bond villains. Curd Jürgens went on to play Karl Stromberg in The Spy Who Loved Me. Which villain did Gert Fröbe play?
6. According to Terminator in which month and year does Judgement Day take place? [bonus point if you get the exact date]
AUGUST 1997 [specifically 29-08-1997]
7. One of the earliest examples of viral marketing was used for which 1920 silent German film?
DAS CABINET DES DR. CALIGARI [Posters stating ‘Du mußt Caligari werden’ were put up all over Berlin without anyone knowing what they were for]
8. What is the full name of Russell Crowe’s character in Gladiator?
MAXIMUS DECIMUS MERIDIUS
9. Name any film directed by Darren Aronofsky [bonus. the least common answer will gain an extra point]
SUPERMARKET SWEEP (1991), FORTUNE COOKIE (1991), PROTOZOA (1993), PI (1998), REQUIEM FOR A DREAM (2000), THE FOUNTAIN (2006), THE WRESTLER (2008)
10. In Get Carter, Michael Caine’s character travels to which city to investigate the mysterious death of his brother?
11. Why was the obscure Allison Reynolds attending detention in The Breakfast Club?
SHE HAD NOTHING BETTER TO DO
12. Which of the following actors has starred in the fewest movies? Christopher Walken? Jack Nicholson? Al Pacino?
As of August 2009: Walken  Nicholson  Pacino 
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. Sergio Leone’s A Fistful Of Dynamite was originally titled what? Once Upon A Time In Mexico? Mas, Mas, Senor? Duck, You Sucker?
DUCK, YOU SUCKER
2. In Red Dragon, the killer, nicknamed the Tooth Fairy, is obsessed with a painting by which artist? William Blake? Francis Bacon? Pablo Picasso? [bonus point for naming the painting]
WILLIAM BLAKE [The Great Red Dragon & The Woman Clothed In Sun]
3. In V For Vendetta, the hero is quoted as saying, “Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea, Mr. Creedy, and ideas are…” Unstoppable? Bulletproof? Indestructible?
4. In the award winning comedy, Sideways, Paul Giamatti’s character, Miles is a connoisseur of wine. However, which particular type of wine will he refuse to drink? Cabernet? Pinot? Merlot?
5. Hot Fuzz is set in which British County? Gloucestershire? Somerset? Worcestershire?
6. Each of the following quotes were spoken by Ash in Evil Dead II but which was specifically used after he replaces his right hand with a chainsaw? Who’s laughing now? You’re going down? Groovy?
7. In The Notebook Noah convinces Allie to go out on a date with him after sabotaging which fairground ride? Merry-Go-Round? Ferris Wheel? Roller Coaster?
8. Which of the following Westerns did John Wayne not star in? The Searchers? Hell Town? My Darlin’ Clementine?
MY DARLIN’ CLEMENTINE
9. Gus Van Sant’s 2003 film, Elephant, focuses on what traumatising event? Teenage Date Rape? Mass Suicide? School Shooting?
10. To date, Robert De Niro has directed only 2 films; which of the following did he not direct? The Good Shepherd? Stanley & Iris? A Bronx Tale?
STANLEY & IRIS
11. What is the name of Rob Gordon’s music store in High Fidelity? Championship Vinyl? Top Five Records? Chicago Sounds?
12. During the 1992 Academy Awards show, Jack Palance did what to demonstrate his physical ability at the age of 73? An energetic tap dance sequence? One-handed push-ups? He punched fellow nominee, Harvey Keitel?
Maximum Potential Points:
ROUND I: 0
ROUND II: 0
ROUND III: 0
ROUND IV: 0
CHARITY BONUS ROUND I: Family Films
1. What animal is the Sheriff of Nottingham in Disney’s Robin Hood?
2. During his interrogation in Shrek, the Gingerbread Man was dunked in what liquid?
3. What is the name of the boy who lives next door to Andy in Toy Story?
4. Enchanted dominated the 2008 Oscar nominations for Best Original Song. How many songs were nominated? [bonus points for each correctly identified song title]
THREE [Happy Working Song, So Close and That’s How You Know]
5. Name the high school in High School Musical? [bonus points for the city or state in which it’s located]
EAST HIGH [Albuquerque, New Mexico]
6. What item does Arial mistake for a comb in The Little Mermaid?
7. Who voices the Iron Giant in the 1999 film of the same name?
8. Which of the following awards did Wallace & Gromit: Curse Of The Were-Rabbit not win? Academy Award (Oscar)? BAFTA? Empire Award?
9. Who directed The Nightmare Before Christmas? Henry Selick? Tim Burton? Stan Webb?
10. According to The Lion King grubs are ‘Slimy yet…’ what?
SLIMY YET SATISFYING
11. The lead character in Miyazaki’s Spirited Away loses her name, Chihiro, only to have it replaced by what salve name?
12. Which actor from Lock, Stock & Two Smokin’ Barrels made his first on-screen appearance in Bugsy Malone? Jason Flemyng? Jason Statham? Dexter Fletcher?
DEXTER FLETCHER [in the role of Baby Face]
CHARITY BONUS ROUND II: Highest Grossing Films
1. How many funnels topped the Titanic?
2. What word was spoken to enter the Mines of Moria in Lord Of The Rings: Fellowship Of The Rings?
FRIEND [‘mellon’ in elvish]
3. What is the name of Captain Jack Sparrow’s ship in Pirates Of The Caribbean?
THE BLACK PEARL
4. Which villain from Batman Begins makes a brief appearance in The Dark Knight?
SCARECROW / DR. JONATHAN CRANE
5. What is the name of the London street on which magical items can be purchased in Harry Potter?
6. Which ship did Luke Skywalker fly when he blew up the Death Star in Star Wars?
7. In Jurassic Park, Dennis Nedry intends to sneak out samples of Dinosaur DNA in a canister disguised as a can of what?
8. What is the name of the wrestler Peter Parker has to face in a cage match in Spiderman? [bonus point for naming the actual wrestler who plays this character]
BONE SAW MCGRAW [played by ‘Macho Man’ Randy Savage]
9. What brand of car is Bumblebee in Michael Bay’s Transformers?
CHEVROLET CAMARO [1976 then 2007 concept]
10. Which zingy one-liner does Will Smith use after knocking out the alien pilot in Independence Day? Welcome to Earth? Now that’s what I call a close encounter? Aw, hell no!
WELCOME TO EARTH
11. Eliot uses which sweets to lure ET into his bedroom?
12. What kills the monkey in Raiders Of The Lost Ark?