[16 August 2009]
The Axe In The Oven
Genre – Horror / Romantic Comedy
While You Were Tweeting
Genre – Geek Rom Com (starring Felicia Day)
James Dean’s Jacket
Genre – Fantasy Romance
Hang ’em High School
Genre – Teenage Western
One Man & His Bar
Genre – Documentary / Comedy
ROUND I: Pre-Production
1. Sleepless In Seattle is set in which US city?
2. Stan & Ollie are more commonly known as what?
LAUREL & HARDY
3. Pride & Prejudice is based on the novel of the same name, written by which author?
4. What famous lines did Leonardo DiCaprio shout from the bow of the Titanic?
I’M THE KING OF THE WORLD!
5. Walk The Line is based on the life of which musician?
6. Epic Romantic Drama, Cold Mountain is set during the American Civil War. The citizens of the town of Cold Mountain fought for which side, The North or The South?
THE SOUTH / CONFEDERATE STATES OF AMERICA
7. How many student filmmakers feature on-camera in The Blair Witch Project?
THREE – Heather Donahue, Joshua Leonard & Michael Williams
8. What colour elephants does Dumbo see after first imbibing alcohol?
9. In Monty Python & The Holy Grail, the knights fashion a Trojan horse-esque infiltration device in the form of which animal?
10. What is the name of the nightmare haunting villain in Nightmare On Elm Street?
11. What is Jack Torrance’s job at the Overlook Hotel in The Shining?
12. The Dirty Dancing character, Baby is first introduced to the staff’s preferred dancing methods whilst carrying which fruit?
ROUND II: Filming
1. In Grease Danny Zuko’s gang is called The T-Birds. What’s the name of Betty Rizzo’s clique?
THE PINK LADIES
2. The Hmong people featured in Gran Torino emigrated from which country?
3. Miranda Priestly, played by Meryl Streep, is the editor-in-chief for which magazine in The Devil Wears Prada?
4. In Memento, Leonard Shelby is tracking the man who murdered his wife. According to the clues detailed on his tattoos the killers surname begins with which letter? [bonus point for including the first name]
G [JOHN G]
5. How many actors play the role of Prem Kumar in Slumdog Millionaire?
ONE – Anil Kapoor plays the gameshow host
6. The completed tunnel in The Shawshank Redemption is hidden behind a poster of which actress?
7. Which whistled tune gives Alex’s identity away in A Clockwork Orange?
SINGIN’ IN THE RAIN
8. What is Norman Bates’ hobby in Psycho?
9. How many men make up the infamous police line-up in The Usual Suspects? [bonus points for naming each character]
FIVE – Todd Hockney, Michael McManus, Fred Fenster, Dean Keaton & Verbal Kint
10. What are the names of Casper’s three ghostly uncles?
STRETCH, STINKIE & FATSO
11. How many Samurai are enlisted to protect the mountain village from bandits in Seven Samurai?
SIX – Kikuchiyo is a farmer posing as a Samurai
12. What’s the name of the mouse in The Green Mile?
ROUND III: Post-Production
1. Whilst trying to console Ripley in the 1986 action/sf film Aliens, Hudson is quoted as saying, “We got tactical smart missiles, phase plasma pulse rifles, RPGs. We got sonic, electronic ball breakers! We got nukes, we got knives…” What is the final item he lists?
2. Sergeant Jack Vincennes is the technical advisor of which fictional TV show in LA Confidential?
BADGE OF HONOUR
3. On the run from the law, Thelma & Louise decide to head to Mexico. However, the most direct route runs through one particular state that Louise absolutely refuses to enter. Which US state is it?
4. What is the name of the planet devouring character in the 1984 animated film Transformers: The Movie? [bonus point if you can name the heavyweight star who voiced him]
UNICRON [Orson Welles]
5. What item of clothing does Tom Reagan see in his dream in Miller’s Crossing?
6. In addition to vocals, what instrument does Sugar Kane play in Some Like It Hot?
7. During his cameo in Shadow Of A Doubt, Alfred Hitchcock can be seen playing cards. In his hand, he holds one entire suit. Which one? (Clubs, Diamonds, Hearts or Spades)
8. How many cigarettes are smoked during 2006 satirical comedy, Thank You For Smoking?
9. In Bill & Ted’s Bogus Journey, Ted quizzes himself by asking how many fingers he’s about to hold up. How many does he show?
10. What is the name of Rick’s bar in Casablanca?
RICK’S CAFÉ AMÉRICAIN
11. Who plays Professor Plum in the Jonathan Lynn comedy, Clue, released in 1985, based on the board game Cluedo?
12. Which leisurely sport features heavily in Heathers?
ROUND IV: Promotion & Release
1. In Reservoir Dogs, which thief remembers to grab the diamonds before fleeing the crime scene? Mr. White? Mr. Blonde? Mr. Pink?
2. 1953 western Shane was nominated for six Oscars, which one did it win? Loyal Griggs for Best Cinematography? Jack Palance for Best Actor In A Supporting Role? George Stevens for Best Director?
3. Musical, Mamma Mia, is set on an island off the coast of which country? Spain? Greece? Italy?
4. Who played Al Capone’s right-hand man, Frank Nitti in Road To Perdition? Daniel Craig? Dylan Baker? Stanley Tucci?
5. Allowing for inflation, which of the following non-English language films had the higher production costs? 1927’s Metropolis? 1968’s War & Peace? 2008’s Red Cliff?
WAR & PEACE – approx. $610,000,000 [METROPOLIS – approx. $205,000,000 / RED CLIFF – approx. $80,000,000]
6. Which item of jewellery does Walter Neff first note on femme fatale Phyllis Dietrichson in Double Indemnity? Anklet? Bracelet? Necklace?
7. During The Full Monty the lads watch which film for inspirational dance moves? Footloose? Flashdance? Dirty Dancing?
8. Who played the lead role of Charlie Chaplin in Richard Attenborough’s 1992 biopic, Chaplin? Christian Slater? Hugh Grant? Robert Downey Jnr?
ROBERT DOWNEY JNR
9. For his orchestral score of The Dark Knight, Hans Zimmer uses one rising note from which instrument to start the joker’s theme? Violin? Cello? Viola?
10. Peter Sellers plays three separate characters in Dr. Strangelove; Doktor Merkwürdigliebe, Group Captain Lionel Mandrake and whom else? President Merkin Muffley? Ambassador Alexi de Sadesky? Lt. Lothar Zogg?
11. Which animal from the Ice Age trilogy is Diego? A Woolly Mammoth? A Sloth? A Sabre-Toothed Tiger
12. In the opening scene of Dirty Harry, Detective Callahan states “I know what you’re thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five? Well, to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I’ve kinda lost track myself.” So, did he fire five or six?